What's new

Tournament Viable Characters for 2013

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Tournament Viable Characters for 2013

Definition of tournament viable - proven to be able to either win or place top 5 at a major in its current state.

Liu Kang
Kung Lao
Johnny Cage
Mileena
Cyrax
Smoke
Sonya Blade
Jax
Shang Tsung
Kabal
Kitana
Kenshi
Freddy Krueger
Sektor
Reptile
Raiden
Skarlet

Thoughts?

NKZero

Noob
I think Sektor belongs there. Nobody is playing him to his true potential and having only one definite 3-7 makes him more than viable.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Also I think it's very possible that Sub Zero could be on that list. Tom placed great with him at NEC, and he doesn't play consistently.

We just lost most of the Sub Zero mains.

EDIT:

And I think Sektor can definitely make it into top 5.

trustinme

xbl-OBS trustinme
Good list. Sektor and Quan are right outside IMO. With players like Lethal Legend, Dink and Insuperable I'd like to think they will break a top 5 soon.
as much as id like to see that happen i just cant see it with quan chi.

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
The only ones that are viable ALONE would be Lao, Sonya, Kenshi, Kabal... I just don't see characters with more than one 7-3 MU being viable at EVO or any other major TO WIN... now placing somwhere near the top relies mainly on the player (as dicussed before...Pig). However, if you are utilizing the character for CP reasons, pretty much all of S-A tiers could be used as tertiary characters

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
Guys another thing about this. Its not a list of characters that could make top 5 at a major ONCE. Its a list of characters that in the right circumstances could show up in the top 5 of EVERY major. Having placings like slips and his amazing scorpion should not automatically qualify scorpion for this list. Slips is just a really good example of the player taking a non-tourney viable character beyond its normal limits.

Pig Of The Hut

add subzero sektor and mac
Based on what tournament results in last 9 months?

Trying to keep this fair

Honestly if I ha my way raiden and reptile would be on this list but those characters haven't produced in around a year

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
I'm not seeing JC either... He gets handled pretty easily by 3 of the top five characters that will defenitly be used... High level Freddy, Kenshi, and Kabal players should NOT lose to a hihg level Cage only using Cage.

Pig Of The Hut

Last time slips entered a tourney was 2012

Scorpion is a couple wrong guesses away from beating anyone... He's the upset posterboy
So true but we just need evidence of a character being proven in today's game

Edit: BRB must remove skarlet from the list