What's new

Tournament Viable Characters for 2013

Seapeople

This one's for you
Reptile is guile against most of the cast.
I honestly think people play too safe with him. But that is just me. We all could learn from Chris G's constant use of unsafe stuff to just check people.
Again... you've played him longer and more offline. I could be just so wrong it hurts.
How does guile play other than the slowball/sonic boom connection? Legit question, I've never played SF.
All of Reptile's risks to keep people in check still have to be calculated, and that's why the godlike fundamentals are necessary imo. But he's got slow pokes, slow normals, unsafe/unrewarding armor, and lbsh not the greatest mix ups even on a knockdown. He's good, but possibly one of the hardest top characters to succeed with especially since most of his challenging matchups are common tourney characters.

Matix218

Get over here!
Ermac should be on the list IMO. NEC (which was stacked with competition) had multiple good ermac showings and Big D even made top 8 with him

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
How does guile play other than the slowball/sonic boom connection? Legit question, I've never played SF.
All of Reptile's risks to keep people in check still have to be calculated, and that's why the godlike fundamentals are necessary imo. But he's got slow pokes, slow normals, unsafe/unrewarding armor, and lbsh not the greatest mix ups even on a knockdown. He's good, but possibly one of the hardest top characters to succeed with especially since most of his challenging matchups are common tourney characters.
He's no harder to succeed with than Cage.
You have one of the best ant cross up tools, ways to basically fill the screen with combo's........

Sure he has slow pokes... but he also has a poke that does 11% and punishes just about everything. 90% of the cast also has to respect the follow up after the knockdown..... which can be mixed up and hard to react to if not properly scouted.

Idk.... lots of excuses mixed into facts.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
You have one of the best ant cross up tools,
If you mean dashing away from them, remember that every character can just do a normal dash to escape crossups. Also most characters have a good way to get damage off of crossups, such as good D1's (jax), uppercuts (sonya, jax), normals that will beat crossups (sub, jax), specials (cyrax, jax) or armor (Raiden, Jax)

Reptile's only real option is to try and escape with elbow dash, and possibly whiff punish with another elbow dash (although that is risky)

ways to basically fill the screen with combo's........
Remember that the scariest part of his forceballs is that they cover the area in front of him, the recovery itself is really slow. This means that against characters with good anti zoning tools like advancing armor or teleports(Kabal, Smoke, Jax) or fast zoning that prevents Rep from starting his zoning (Freddy, Sonya, Jax), they aren't nearly as dangerous.

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
I don't disagree with you
He does make a point though..... who plays Shang at your level around me? The answer is no one. If you have a gimmick with Shang and you play someone who's not your local sparring guy... you'll probably get away with it. That is kinda a big deal.
I think that plays INTO the entirety of "Sektor should be on there" cries.

There is something to that effect. No matter how much you train at 80% .... 100% is different.
The same could be said for alot of characters though. You want to know the last time I played a high level Cage offline? 8 months ago at Anaheim. Freddy offline? never. To know all the MU's you pretty much have to play online, which is where the majority of my MU experience comes from. There are very few people in this community who can get away with just playing their local comp.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
If you mean dashing away from them, remember that every character can just do a normal dash to escape crossups. Also most characters have a good way to get damage off of crossups, such as good D1's (jax), uppercuts (sonya, jax), normals that will beat crossups (sub, jax), specials (cyrax, jax) or armor (Raiden, Jax)

Reptile's only real option is to try and escape with elbow dash, and possibly whiff punish with another elbow dash (although that is risky)

Remember that the scariest part of his forceballs is that they cover the area in front of him, the recovery itself is really slow. This means that against characters with good anti zoning tools like advancing armor or teleports(Kabal, Smoke, Jax) or fast zoning that prevents Rep from starting his zoning (Freddy, Sonya, Jax), they aren't nearly as dangerous.
I mean.... everyone has problems with advancing armor......... so that really isn't a concern.
his dash also creates situations that heavily favor him as well. If you're always in those situations....... even the muffinmuggers specials work.
I was simply mentioning dash because of the properties ..... unless you do it super late... no one will catch you on a cross up if you dash. and you give yourself room.
He can easily just d4 and make a shit ton of things whiff.
Don't get caught up in all the bad... because he also has a ton of good.
But i digress... he probably will need a tag team partner for freaking Sonya and Cyrax.

NKZero

Noob
Sektor is free imo. He is decent at punishing because of his good damage output and IAT, and his corner pressure is solid. Other than that, he has nothing special and he gets blown up in a bunch of match ups.
which MU's does he get blown up in?

NKZero

Noob
im pretty sure sonya blows him up pretty bad.
4-6...nothing impossible. Imo his only 3-7 is Smoke, and that's not a character you have to worry about tremendously because he doesn't have any BS so once the MU is learnt it's do-able. He has some tricky matches but he can compete in all of them.