What's new

Tournament Viable Characters for 2013

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I think reptile sits right on the outside of the list.
Unless you are willing to play the Chris G yolo style.... and KNOW the MU...... you'll fail. I've come to the conclusion since picking him up. If you try and play safe reptile you'll lose.

In any case.... the list is probably right.
The list is using concrete data here from tourney's that have been agreed upon as having competition that would warrant the respect.

Ermac and Reptile both are always sitting on the outside looking in.

I also think that... because of the scarcity of numbers...... the B tier characters can sneak in simply by missing that awful MU.

Seapeople

This one's for you
I hope this isn't super downplaying but Reptile could definitely be outside the top 10. Chef's already pointed out a lot of reasons.
He's a really technical character and I think to use him really well you've got to have amazing fundamentals, especially with spacing. He's the perfect character for someone like Chris G.

Lulzlou

Noob
lbsh, if mileena is viable then so are the most of the cast.
I actually had a small talk with Sonic and it turns out he knows how to play EVERYONE. He plays everyone to see how each character works and shit. Okay obviously it is very dependent on how much time he has, since he is still a teen he has a huge amount of time. Regardless, I give him tons of respect.

He does have a sonya alt but why wouldn't he main her if mileena couldn't win. It really comes down to the player and how much time he puts into the game. Don't get me wrong, there still are some fucked up matches in this game. That doesn't mean you have to counter pick right away. Mileena-Kabal is tough for her but he knows exactly what he needs to do to win.

Reactions: SLy

GGA HAN

Galloping Ghost Arcade
Reptile should still be considered viable. Just because no one has made top 5-8 recently, it doesn't take away from his tools and the fact his only 3-7 MU is probably Sonya. All of his other MU's are manageable, even Kabal; he does as well as anyone can hope to against him. And lets not forget he's pretty good against Kenshi, another hard MU for a ton of other characters.

astronout

see you at the top.
Shang Tsung is on this list but Reptile isn't? [twitch]Kappa[/twtich]
Sektor isn't on this list? [twitch]Kappa[/twtich]

this list is stupid because it significantly downplays the importance of player skill in this game.

Reptile should still be considered viable. Just because no one has made top 5-8 recently, it doesn't take away from his tools and the fact his only 3-7 MU is probably Sonya. All of his other MU's are manageable, even Kabal; he does as well as anyone can hope to against him. And lets not forget he's pretty good against Kenshi, another hard MU for a ton of other characters.

yeah not just kenshi but he doesn't have it as bad against kabal as most either.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
I hope this isn't super downplaying but Reptile could definitely be outside the top 10. Chef's already pointed out a lot of reasons.
He's a really technical character and I think to use him really well you've got to have amazing fundamentals, especially with spacing. He's the perfect character for someone like Chris G.
Yeah but then the problem is that If your opponent is constantly trying to prevent you from spacing correctly, the fact that his dash and walk are bad means that your opponent (who generally has better mobility) should be able to stop you.

CURBOLICOUS

Cage ban wagon?
Technically sonya shouldn't be on the list. I don't think anyone has really used her or got into top 8 from using her. She can't be tournament viable because nobody gets top 8 lol.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Yeah but then the problem is that If your opponent is constantly trying to prevent you from spacing correctly, the fact that his dash and walk are bad means that your opponent (who generally has better mobility) should be able to stop you.
Reptile is guile against most of the cast.
I honestly think people play too safe with him. But that is just me. We all could learn from Chris G's constant use of unsafe stuff to just check people.
Again... you've played him longer and more offline. I could be just so wrong it hurts.

Lulzlou

Noob
One day I feel like if I watch your sig enough times Kitana will land her f2 follow up.

;_; you're one of the few players that know of Kitana's BS spacing shenanigans.

...one day people will say LULZLOU WAS RIGHT
I didn't mean she is like a top 3 character or anything like that. Why would any character with that spacing, damage AND footsies be outside of top 10? lol

edit; and zoning.
edit#2; her forward dash is beyond amazing

I honestly feel like Khao and rev are the only ones that agree with me about kabal-kit being 6-4kabal.

GuamoKun

I Break Hearts, Not Combos
I didn't mean she is like a top 3 character or anything like that. Why would any character with that spacing, damage AND footsies be outside of top 10? lol

I honestly feel like Khao and rev are the only ones that agree with me about kabal-kit being 6-4kabal.
I'm iffy about MU numbers because I'm not good enough but when I fight Kabal with Kitana I'm not that worried about the MU

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Technically sonya shouldn't be on the list. I don't think anyone has really used her or got into top 8 from using her. She can't be tournament viable because nobody gets top 8 lol.
And who are you to have an opinion! What have you ever won!

Reptile is guile against most of the cast.
I honestly think people play too safe with him. But that is just me. We all could learn from Chris G's constant use of unsafe stuff to just check people.
Again... you've played him longer and more offline. I could be just so wrong it hurts.
While I agree that there needs to be randomness in Reptile play where you make reads and just go for the dashes and such like Chris G does, the problem is that the risk/reward is so badly out of Rep's favor. Every time he elbow dashes, he can do 11% damage and a long knockdown, however on block he is going to eat on average 40%+ from the better characters in the game. I mean when you think about that, that means you need to guess right four times to their one time before elbow dash becomes worth it damage wise. Against a character like Cyrax, you have to guess right 8 or 9 times to his one time to make it worth it!

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
the same could be said about shang.
astronout STB CharlieMurphy

Most top players know how to get out of Shang's gimmicks. I feel that Shang has a more reliable footsie and pressure game because they straight up require reads to over come. Sektor on the other hand usually has to make super risky reads with the teleport and in his up close game. Also, people that don't know MUs have nobody to blame but themselves because the game is two years old. Shang is definitely tournament viable, which is something I would have said even before SCR.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
astronout STB CharlieMurphy

Most top players know how to get out of Shang's gimmicks. I feel that Shang has a more reliable footsie and pressure game because they straight up require reads to over come. Sektor on the other hand usually has to make super risky reads with the teleport and in his up close game. Also, people that don't know MUs have nobody to blame but themselves because the game is two years old. Shang is definitely tournament viable, which is something I would have said even before SCR.
I don't disagree with you
He does make a point though..... who plays Shang at your level around me? The answer is no one. If you have a gimmick with Shang and you play someone who's not your local sparring guy... you'll probably get away with it. That is kinda a big deal.
I think that plays INTO the entirety of "Sektor should be on there" cries.

There is something to that effect. No matter how much you train at 80% .... 100% is different.