What's new

Tournament Viable Characters for 2013

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
Last time slips entered a tourney was 2012

Scorpion is a couple wrong guesses away from beating anyone... He's the upset posterboy
Anybody is "a couple wrong guesses from beating anyone." Also great players will nore often than not find themselves not caught in a vortex, and if they are they will break if the game is on the line...

I see what you're doing here Mr Pig. You don't have me fooled. Step 1 I know you're carefully getting us to agree on a large list of viable characters and then Step 2 you're going to violently knock off half of them in order to lay down the hammer and say THIS IS THE TOP 10 LIST

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Why is nobody else questioning Reptile on the list?

What is the last time Reptile has placed top 5?

Chris G was top 32 at SCR, top 16 at WB

MIT got 9th at MLG Anaheim, but didn't use exclusively Reptile.

TylerLantern got 25th at Dallas and 13th at Raleigh

Cossner got 25th at Dallas

Nubcakes was top 32 at SCR

Am I missing any other top Reptile placings?
I mean has any Reptile even made top 8 at a major within the last year? (Technically I did, but it was Revelations which wasn't that big.)

Honestly, how can Reptile still be on that list?

Fractured_Shadow

Apparently u missed the major known as SB:A

Where cage won

*sees and reads OP *
Yes but Dizzy didn't face any high level Kabal's, Kenshi's, or Freddy's.... it has to be a perfect storm of MU's for a pure Cage to win it all.... A character with 3 7-3 MU's cannot win a Major (30 people does not equate to a major IMO)

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Lol
I see what you're doing here Mr Pig. You don't have me fooled. Step 1 I know you're carefully getting us to agree on a large list of viable characters and then Step 2 you're going to violently knock off half of them in order to lay down the hammer and say THIS IS THE TOP 10 LIST
Lol
No
Slips almost got top 5 at Season's Beatings Ascension...
"almost"

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Based on what tournament results in last 9 months?

Trying to keep this fair

Honestly if I ha my way raiden and reptile would be on this list but those characters haven't produced in around a year
so is this who IS tournament viable or who is tournament viable factoring in players unable to make it or not being able to respresent their chars

otherwise tom brady, gross, zaf for tourneys

Pig Of The Hut

Why is nobody else questioning Reptile on the list?

What is the last time Reptile has placed top 5?

Chris G was top 32 at SCR, top 16 at WB

MIT got 9th at MLG Anaheim, but didn't use exclusively Reptile.

TylerLantern got 25th at Dallas and 13th at Raleigh

Cossner got 25th at Dallas

Nubcakes was top 32 at SCR

Am I missing any other top Reptile placings?
I mean has any Reptile even made top 8 at a major within the last year? (Technically I did, but it was Revelations which wasn't that big.)

Honestly, how can Reptile still be on that list?

Dude

I am editing the list as we go
Re look

Reptile raiden removed

This based on evidence of last 9 months
that doesn't make them not viable. For instance without you who has done shit with kenshi in the last 9 months? Reptile just doesn't have a top player using him outside mitdjt and he doesn't use him all that much.

EGP Wonder_Chef

I think a big issue for Raiden is that there are almost no Raiden mains playing in tournaments.

Off the top of my head I can think of B-Wizz and Chaosphere, are there even any others? I personally still think Raiden is really good.

Pig Of The Hut

Yes but Dizzy didn't face any high level Kabal's, Kenshi's, or Freddy's.... it has to be a perfect storm of MU's for a pure Cage to win it all.... A character with 3 7-3 MU's cannot win a Major (30 people does not equate to a major IMO)
All that matters is it was a major and cage won

Didn't matter if I was there w kenshi or not

Enough people were there who could have beat him but couldn't in the end

Fractured_Shadow

Winning a major alone does not discount nor credit a character with viablility. A much deeper look at the characters is needed...

Fractured_Shadow

All that matters is it was a major and cage won

Didn't matter if I was there w kenshi or not

Enough people were there who could have beat him but couldn't in the end
As I said in my post before,"Winning a major alone does not discount nor credit a character with viablility. A much deeper look at the characters is needed... "

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
Tournament Viable Characters for 2013

Definition of tournament viable - proven to be able to either win or place top 5 at a major in its current state.

Liu Kang
Kung Lao
Johnny Cage
Mileena
Cyrax
Smoke
Sonya Blade
Jax
Shang Tsung
Kabal
Kitana
Kenshi
Freddy Krueger

Thoughts?
Nobody can really disagree with this.

The main reason is, these are the only characters that are landing in top 8 and making noise.

As much as I think Raiden, Sektor & Skarlet are viable, we can't put them there until someone goes far with them and through all ''Bad MU's'' on the way, for this same reason.

But probably the best thing about Lui kang, Shang and Jax being on that list, it means almost any character can make it offline, but they need to place high and wreck some Bad MU's first.

Results are all that matter.

The only exception = Reptile.

EGP Wonder_Chef

that doesn't make them not viable. For instance without you who has done shit with kenshi in the last 9 months? Reptile just doesn't have a top player using him outside mitdjt and he doesn't use him all that much.
there were a lot of reptile players

MIT
TylerLantern
Chris Geesus
Cossner
Nubcakes (severely underrated player)
Chongo(maybe?)
THTB(did he play within the last year?)
Joker (he might have used Jax too?)
Showtime (but he dropped him now)
Myself

all mained Reptile and took him to a major within the last year.