What's new

"This Princess Fights Her Own Battles." - Starfire General Discussion

Anyone else feel that they changed her frame data after the patch.

Stuff like B2 feels like it has a slower start up as I'm getting stuffed more often. Also 23 xx Close star dust seems to have a much bigger gap. I get looked out of by d1s and the star dust doesn't come out

Anyone else getting this? Also feel like there is much more lag since the patch. Overall she'll still be my main, but things do feel much more challenging

Tweedy

Noob
What's everyone's thoughts on the Cheetah match up? I know early on Foxy said she destroys Cheetah and in theory Starfire should be an impenetrable wall, but as I play it more vs good Cheetah's, b2 isn't a magical guaranteed anti air vs Cheetah. Idk if it's the slowness of the move in comparison to typical anti airs but it's so easy to misplace it depending on where Cheetah lunges from. I often get trades or Cheetah gets in after the active frames or before.

Cheetah does great vs zoners like Deadshot and Fate. Idk if "b2 bro", is a good enough reason for Starfire to do good here. I'm gonna play it a little more this weekend tho. Maybe focusing on attacking the hitbox of jump 3 instead of Cheetah herself is the answer to more success.

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
What's everyone's thoughts on the Cheetah match up? I know early on Foxy said she destroys Cheetah and in theory Starfire should be an impenetrable wall, but as I play it more vs good Cheetah's, b2 isn't a magical guaranteed anti air vs Cheetah. Idk if it's the slowness of the move in comparison to typical anti airs but it's so easy to misplace it depending on where Cheetah lunges from. I often get trades or Cheetah gets in after the active frames or before.

Cheetah does great vs zoners like Deadshot and Fate. Idk if "b2 bro", is a good enough reason for Starfire to do good here. I'm gonna play it a little more this weekend tho. Maybe focusing on attacking the hitbox of jump 3 instead of Cheetah herself is the answer to more success.

Starfire doesn't "destroy her", I've never been an advocate of that, but I do think if any character wins, it's Starfire.

It's not just about back 2 by any means. Her DP has insane reach and is great for sniping the usual hard to anti-air characters because of it reaching really far in front of and behind her. Yes she can mix up her lunges but because of DP's range, if she visually sees her flying across the screen, she can hit her out reliably.

Make no mistake, even characters with the most godlike of answers to Cheetah's lunge will from time to time not be able to anti-air her if the Cheetah player is doing their job, if that was the case the match up would probably be terrible.

Starfire just doing Starfire things can cause Cheetah's down 3 to whiff quite often as it already often whiffs on floaters anyway but standing 3 and forward 2 are pretty irritating since they evade Cheetah's sweep AND are better on range than pretty much any standing normal Cheetah has of comparable speed.

This coupled with Starfire's trait MB that punishes lunge since this mid cannot be low profiled by it and if you're in lunge stance, she gets a guaranteed punish, you can't back dash or block so you hold the damage.

Cheetah is also free on wake up (yes you can delay wake up, but I'm just saying Starfire is good at stuffing them) and Starfire has really obnoxious jump normals that are hard to anti-air.

The difference between Fate and Starfire is Fate gets low profiled all day and has meh in comparison air control. Her doing good against Fate doesn't mean she also possibly beats Starfire or what have you. A character can do good against most zoners, but doesn't mean they do well against all of them.

Now Cheetah can low profile her MB back 3 with sweep sometimes, but I haven't found a super consistent means of doing that and Cheetah has pretty good oki on her

Beetle is good against Cyborg, Fate, Starfire etc, but he isn't against Deadshot. It's about how a character impacts you playing your game and whether you can establish your normal meta or not consistently or if you have to play more on point and precise.

Long story's short: Cheetah doesn't get bodied, but there's no reason why Starfire shouldn't do good versus her. Good being a relative term of course but there's no reason it isn't at worst 5-5 for Starfire.

Tweedy

Noob
Starfire doesn't "destroy her", I've never been an advocate of that, but I do think if any character wins, it's Starfire.

It's not just about back 2 by any means. Her DP has insane reach and is great for sniping the usual hard to anti-air characters because of it reaching really far in front of and behind her. Yes she can mix up her lunges but because of DP's range, if she visually sees her flying across the screen, she can hit her out reliably.

Make no mistake, even characters with the most godlike of answers to Cheetah's lunge will from time to time not be able to anti-air her if the Cheetah player is doing their job, if that was the case the match up would probably be terrible.

Starfire just doing Starfire things can cause Cheetah's down 3 to whiff quite often as it already often whiffs on floaters anyway but standing 3 and forward 2 are pretty irritating since they evade Cheetah's sweep AND are better on range than pretty much any standing normal Cheetah has of comparable speed.

This coupled with Starfire's trait MB that punishes lunge since this mid cannot be low profiled by it and if you're in lunge stance, she gets a guaranteed punish, you can't back dash or block so you hold the damage.

Cheetah is also free on wake up (yes you can delay wake up, but I'm just saying Starfire is good at stuffing them) and Starfire has really obnoxious jump normals that are hard to anti-air.

The difference between Fate and Starfire is Fate gets low profiled all day and has meh in comparison air control. Her doing good against Fate doesn't mean she also possibly beats Starfire or what have you. A character can do good against most zoners, but doesn't mean they do well against all of them.

Now Cheetah can low profile her MB back 3 with sweep sometimes, but I haven't found a super consistent means of doing that and Cheetah has pretty good oki on her

Beetle is good against Cyborg, Fate, Starfire etc, but he isn't against Deadshot. It's about how a character impacts you playing your game and whether you can establish your normal meta or not consistently or if you have to play more on point and precise.

Long story's short: Cheetah doesn't get bodied, but there's no reason why Starfire shouldn't do good versus her. Good being a relative term of course but there's no reason it isn't at worst 5-5 for Starfire.
DP and b2 can work but I feel like a Superman or Green Lantern jump 1 is a much more reliable option for example. Stuff like floating over d3 with s3 or Cheetah being free on wake up is not that significant imo. Punishing lunge holds with mb trait is great but can't the cheetah just adapt and not sit there holding lunge?

I'm gonna play the mu with Revet when he gets home from SCR and maybe i'll find a lot of this stuff more relevant. I don't think Cheetah has to play sweep range footsies to where stuff like s3ing over d3 will be relevant.

If she does jump 3 high enough to where it can't be anti aired, it's minus or even punishable on block. Otherwise her jump ins can be anti aired.

Cheetah is definitely not great on wake up but Starfire being on top of another character is literally the polar opposite of Cheetah being on offense. Blocking her is fine imo.

I need some of y'all to play my Ivy. I haven't ran the MU yet and I keep hearing how Ivy wins this, so I want to see for myself.

I use starfire also so I'm willing to run it on either character.
better footsies that lead to damage. her ftd checks all projectiles except a blocked star dust. if you dash the dust pre-emptively you get a ftd. easy to get her trait out and close the distance. still a bit early to say she wins I think.

cheetah does 450-800 per touch (play revet if you don't believe me) there is not a character in the game that clearly beats her with that type of damage output except maybe batman. His zoning was literally build to destroy her. cheetah is in my top 5. unpopular opinion but that's where I have her. hugely slept on.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
DP and b2 can work but I feel like a Superman or Green Lantern jump 1 is a much more reliable option for example. Stuff like floating over d3 with s3 or Cheetah being free on wake up is not that significant imo. Punishing lunge holds with mb trait is great but can't the cheetah just adapt and not sit there holding lunge?

I'm gonna play the mu with Revet when he gets home from SCR and maybe i'll find a lot of this stuff more relevant. I don't think Cheetah has to play sweep range footsies to where stuff like s3ing over d3 will be relevant.

If she does jump 3 high enough to where it can't be anti aired, it's minus or even punishable on block. Otherwise her jump ins can be anti aired.

Cheetah is definitely not great on wake up but Starfire being on top of another character is literally the polar opposite of Cheetah being on offense. Blocking her is fine imo.
This is just theory since I haven't tested it myself, but I assume she can't low profile an exploded orb nor can her pounce get over it.

For example, you throw the orb out in neutral and then follow it up with starbolts. The Cheetah player will most likely enter pounce to attempt to get in. Assuming she can't low profile the orbital explosion, she gets launched for a Popup, and assuming she gets over the orb by doing pounce early, the explosion should anti air her so we get a B3 into a full combo.

I'll give it a test when I'm home.

DarksydeDash

This is just theory since I haven't tested it myself, but I assume she can't low profile an exploded orb nor can her pounce get over it.

For example, you throw the orb out in neutral and then follow it up with starbolts. The Cheetah player will most likely enter pounce to attempt to get in. Assuming she can't low profile the orbital explosion, she gets launched for a Popup, and assuming she gets over the orb by doing pounce early, the explosion should anti air her so we get a B3 into a full combo.

I'll give it a test when I'm home.
So looks like I'm half right.

Basically different pounces get her over both the orb and the explosion. Her short range one obviously gets hit, and she can not low profile the explosion from orb once it's hit by trait.

Hey guys,

Any advice on the Deadshot matchup? I'm having issues getting in and staying in. Feel like his zoning really out muscles Starfire's

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
so does ji3 after a knock down really result in any ambiguity what so ever? the instant air dash into ji2 string? etc. need to know if she really has anything or if she's just incredibly straitforward on knockdown. i feel like theres more i should be doing than just the ji3/f3/b3 stuff i been doing mostly.

DrZmmm

Noob
so does ji3 after a knock down really result in any ambiguity what so ever? the instant air dash into ji2 string? etc. need to know if she really has anything or if she's just incredibly straitforward on knockdown. i feel like theres more i should be doing than just the ji3/f3/b3 stuff i been doing mostly.
You should probably just go to the discord. Looks like tweedy is the only one getting answers on this page lol.

Tweedy

Noob
You should probably just go to the discord. Looks like tweedy is the only one getting answers on this page lol.
He posted 28 minutes ago. My post took 2 hours to get a response.

I have Salads ignored so u guise can handle that lul.

Versa

Noob
Hey guys, are either of these guides too outdated for me to use to learn? How much has she changed since release?

any tips for general game plan with starfire not a zoning one but one where she could probably use some 50 50s and or best combo strings to frame trap and get background bounce cancels? I feel this is definitely her best way to cash out big for combos, been wanting to main starfire since she was announced lol

DarksydeDash

any tips for general game plan with starfire not a zoning one but one where she could probably use some 50 50s and or best combo strings to frame trap and get background bounce cancels? I feel this is definitely her best way to cash out big for combos, been wanting to main starfire since she was announced lol
She has no 50/50s or frame traps unless you count d1 after MB db2.

She relies on staggers and zoning to build bar and hit like a truck with bounce cancels unless there is a stage bounce.

She has no 50/50s or frame traps unless you count d1 after MB db2.

She relies on staggers and zoning to build bar and hit like a truck with bounce cancels unless there is a stage bounce.
what would you consider her best string to stagger is it 23? Thats the one most people use as a starter but doesnt that specific string have big damage scaling? any tips would be awesome

DarksydeDash

what would you consider her best string to stagger is it 23? Thats the one most people use as a starter but doesnt that specific string have big damage scaling? any tips would be awesome
23, d1 into db2 can be a stagger, and 21 can be as well if you condition them enough.

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
So how come Starfire is never seen in tourneys? I feel all the other DLCs have some gotten a bit of a spotlight but no one is using Starfire at all. Considering how foxy was preaching that she was DS status and will replace him if he gets nerfed she's awfully underplayed.
I just wanna see some high-level Star action and that doesn't seem to exist, if it does I'd appreciate a link.

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
So how come Starfire is never seen in tourneys? I feel all the other DLCs have some gotten a bit of a spotlight but no one is using Starfire at all. Considering how foxy was preaching that she was DS status and will replace him if he gets nerfed she's awfully underplayed.
I just wanna see some high-level Star action and that doesn't seem to exist, if it does I'd appreciate a link.
She was used by Sooneo who made it to the 2nd place of Rumble in the Tundra, using both her and Green Arrow. Yes he used GA way more then Star, but he used her a couple of times. and he also good a godlike clutch finish with her at the Grand Finales.