What's new

They must fix throws in this game

Yousef

Noob
You know throws are annoying yeah but it's part of the game and the damage is not that big 140 compared to 12% in MKX
As for the KB I don't care since I'm playing JC and don't have any KBs
But what I suggest doing (like anybody cares) is make them more minus if u broke out of it ,cuz I got people try to throw me then punish me for a full combo when I break it and try to punish
And yeah pokes should be more minus on block to avoid people throwing random 96 poke back to back on block, with a bad connection online sometimes I can't even poke back I just wait for push back

IMO a decent change should be on the animation side. The 2 throws should have a slight difference in animation to react whether it's a front or back throw.

Agilaz

It has begun
The only thing I don't like about throws is that they can beat d1/2/3/4 seemingly at random.

The other day I caught on to somebody's throw game. In 3 separate instances I read the throw, I KNEW it was coming, and his throws straight up ate my d2 and d1. Like the game even counted the throw as a counter hit. That is just disgusting. I don't mind getting mixed through strike/throw, but reading a throw and reacting accordingly and STILL getting thrown? Fuuuuuck that, that's some shit tier game design.

Edit: this wasn't out of my opponent's plus frames either. Even if it was, the fact I'm neutral crouching before my input should mean the throw fails regardless

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
The only thing I don't like about throws is that they can beat d1/2/3/4 seemingly at random.

The other day I caught on to somebody's throw game. In 3 separate instances I read the throw, I KNEW it was coming, and his throws straight up ate my d2 and d1. Like the game even counted the throw as a counter hit. That is just disgusting. I don't mind getting mixed through strike/throw, but reading a throw and reacting accordingly and STILL getting thrown? Fuuuuuck that, that's some shit tier game design.

Edit: this wasn't out of my opponent's plus frames either. Even if it was, the fact I'm neutral crouching before my input should mean the throw fails regardless
So reacting accordingly means throwing a preemptive d2 before the throw actually whiffs?

Agilaz

It has begun
So reacting accordingly means throwing a preemptive d2 before the throw actually whiffs?
Well do attacks beat throws or not? And this hasn't just happened with d2's either, it's happened with any of the down normals. I don't think I'm being unreasonable when I say that throws should be limited to doing what they're designed to do: beat blocking.

Edit: and to avoid playing the stupid word games TYM is fond of, of course I'm not saying you should ONLY be thrown if you're blocking. But your high throw shouldn't basically pick me up off the ground when I'm kicking your legs or smth

IMO a decent change should be on the animation side. The 2 throws should have a slight difference in animation to react whether it's a front or back throw.
This would not change anything. You don't have enough time to react to a specific animation given the speed of the throw + tech window.

Throws have no invulnerability frames to attacks. They don't "beat" anything. You're attack is losing because the active frame of your opponents move occurred before the active frame of your move. You're getting kounter hit.

Throws have so much recovery in this game you can punish them on neutral duck with Jade's 30 frame overhead as a neutral duck. You shouldn't have an issue with d2 punishing if you're not mashing

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
You literally whiffed a normal and got thrown because of the hurtbox you stuck out.

How do you define that?

I swear, the amateur NRS community is absolutely clueless.
It's to the point where people are saying even completely normal fighting game mechanics and bugs are a sign of the developer being terribad, etc.

Like, I get that not every game is everyone's cup of tea, but if we're to the point of making every little normal thing into a tragedy, it gets beyond ridiculous.

You can hunt through every fighting game and find moves that look like they maybe shouldn't hit but do, moves that look like they should hit but don't, things that are ambiguous. And mechanics that are annoying. Things that make you salty.

But our community is pushing self-hate like it's a badge of honor.

Agilaz

It has begun
Throws have no invulnerability frames to attacks. They don't "beat" anything. You're attack is losing because the active frame of your opponents move occurred before the active frame of your move. You're getting kounter hit.

Throws have so much recovery in this game you can punish them on neutral duck with Jade's 30 frame overhead as a neutral duck. You shouldn't have an issue with d2 punishing if you're not mashing
That makes a lot of sense if you're talking about throws beating standing moves, but down normals by default begin from a neutral crouch position. Now it's no longer a matter of frames, it's the fact you're getting thrown while occupying a region that should not be affected by throws to begin with.

I wish I still had that clip of somebody grabbing me out of Shang's b3 lol. Poor man's almost with his back to fucking ground and my opponent is rewarded with 14% for grabbing the air above me lmao

MK9

Noob
Sorry I love throws, it’s the best way to counter jax’s staggers fir me, he can d1 before all my counter hits.

Go play some mk2 and mk3, than come back and complain about throws.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
That makes a lot of sense if you're talking about throws beating standing moves, but down normals by default begin from a neutral crouch position. Now it's no longer a matter of frames, it's the fact you're getting thrown while occupying a region that should not be affected by throws to begin with.

I wish I still had that clip of somebody grabbing me out of Shang's b3 lol. Poor man's almost with his back to fucking ground and my opponent is rewarded with 14% for grabbing the air above me lmao
Throws beat pokes/crouching attacks just like mids beat pokes/crouching attacks. Pokes don't low profile throws. If you want to beat a throw wait for it to whiff then press your button, otherwise you'll get countered (not including your poke landing before the throw)

I don't stream my games, but yes, I punish throws as well. Why?
Because your whole point was that average/intermediate Joe could do it so he should be able too also.

and then you posted a video of TOP players doing it.

This seems to be a common theme with you, in fact with the way you are on here about this game I’m actually surprised you don’t stream or have a YouTube channel.

If someone is having trouble with a technique in basketball and you make it seem simple and easy to do and then show them a clip of Michael Jordan doing it instead of you or someone of a similar skill level, how serious do you think they are going to take you?

Also I wasn’t attacking you nor mocking you, just looking for some understanding.

So if you could call your parrot over there off, that would be nice.

Lots of Love.

xOXo

Rodney.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Because your whole point was that average/intermediate Joe could do it so he should be able too also.

and then you posted a video of TOP players doing it.

This seems to be a common theme with you, in fact with the way you are on here about this game I’m actually surprised you don’t stream or have a YouTube channel.

If someone is having trouble with a technique in basketball and you make it seem simple and easy to do and then show them a clip of Michael Jordan doing it instead of you or someone of a similar skill level, how serious do you think they are going to take you?

Also I wasn’t attacking you nor mocking you, just looking for some understanding.

So if you could call your parrot over there off, that would be nice.

Lots of Love.

xOXo

Rodney.
If you can't punish a throw (with a d2 in this case, which is probably the easiest punish), you're not really playing the game yet. I'm posting clips from tournaments because that's what I'm watching on a regular basis, and therefore that's what I have clips saved from.

Throw punishes are pretty standard for even mid-level players. It's not like I'm talking about flawless blocking a jump-in or 3-frame fuzzing someone's mixup. It wasn't even a microcrouch; he just held down, waited for the whiff, and pressed a button. This is basic MK11.

I don't watch lots of intermediate-level players on Twitch (I'm not sure why it would) but the same principles apply.

Last edited:

thlityoursloat

kick kick
wtf are people complaining about being grabbed OUT OF NEGATIVE FRAMES
when noob can launch you for a full combo for being ready to tech, and has the ability to take 31% unbreakable damage of your life just because he grabbed you out of the corner once.
like.. helloooooooooooo? Is this still day 1? Grabs are dangerous but not because you can't delete grabs by mashing d1 at -5.

hahahah , I got hit by this last night playing KL :D Sticked out d4 to stop liu from pressure me non stop and got thrown lol Max range , I was like wtf how its possible .
if you play the tutorial, its clearly intentional that you can punish something like the extended limbs from a whiffed normal. thats totally fine with me, i actually like it. but standing in a spot and grabbing someones toetip? hell no.

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
I like the throw meta. You have plenty of options to punish throws if you read them, they're pretty easy to tech on reaction, and on offense they beat low pokes meaning players can't just mash pokes and os every throw. There's a lot of fun mindgames that go into the meta and a good risk reward balance.

wtf are people complaining about being grabbed OUT OF NEGATIVE FRAMES
when noob can launch you for a full combo for being ready to tech, and has the ability to take 31% unbreakable damage of your life just because he grabbed you out of the corner once.
like.. helloooooooooooo? Is this still day 1? Grabs are dangerous but not because you can't delete grabs by mashing d1 at -5.
what this guy said.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Throws in Street Fighter 5 have five frames of start up and an 11 frame tech window. They hit mid and can lead to powerful okizeme in the corner. Just like in Mortal Kombat 11, the strike / throw meta is an integral aspect of the game and represents the most benign mix up of any NRS fighting game.
in SF games you don't have to guess which direction they'll throw. You tech throws with another throws, despite being fast or not, but if you feel iffy about when someone is going to grab, you don't need to find out if it's a 1 or 2 tech though.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
To me, i think Fatal Blows animations are a drag to watch, they take way too long and the gore doesn't really help either, you play a long set in this game and you will have to see multiple characters getting murdered over and over.
Really hope next NRS game they ditch fatal blows and bring back X-Rays attacks, those were 2 hits max and didn't break the game momentum.

Whenever someone lands a fatal blow it reminds me of the annoying stage transitions in Injustice games, it takes too damn long.

ABACABB

End Of Humanity
If you can't punish a throw (with a d2 in this case, which probably the easiest punish), you're not really playing the game yet. I'm posting clips from tournaments because that's what I'm watching on a regular basis, and therefore that's what I have clips saved from.

Throw punishes are standard fare for even mid-level players. It's not like I'm talking about flawless blocking a jump-in or 3-frame fuzzing someone's mixup. It wasn't even a microcrouch; he just held down, waited for the whiff, and pressed a button. This is basic MK11.

I don't watch lots of intermediate-level players on Twitch (I'm not sure why it would) but the same principles apply.

This is me playing shang , watch from 40sec and from 2 min . I can show you other videos of me flawless blocking and punishing gaps in geras string and others . I can show you me AA s1 on reaction to jumps . But i cant deal with throws ? Something is not right . I shouldnt be able to do these things if I cant deal with throws right ?

CrimsonShadow

Administrator

This is me playing shang , watch from 40sec and from 2 min . I can show you other videos of me flawless blocking and punishing gaps in geras string and others . I can show you me AA s1 on reaction to jumps . But i cant deal with throws ? Something is not right . I shouldnt be able to do these things if I cant deal with throws right ?
Fighting games aren't a single skill -- they're a set of skills. Getting good is all about continuing to bring up your weak areas until they're strong.

Some people are excellent at teching throws but suck at getting through zoning. Some people move through zoning just fine but struggle to make correct decisions in the poking game. Some people have excellent defense but never flawless block, just block. Some people are better than others at converting anti cross-up jabs into full combo. Some people make excellent reads on wakeup. Or great at rushdown but can't deal with command grabs, etc.

It sounds like you already know what you need to work on -- so you'll learn a lot more from hitting the lab on your own matches than blaming the game.