What's new

They Don't Call Me The Main Man For Nothing! - The Lobo General Discussion Thread.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
I have - I can get it to work more often in practice mode, but it's still an issue. I've tried hitting MB before, during, & after the input; I've tried tapping it lightly, I've tried smashing it as hard as I can, I've tried holding it down, I've tried tapping it repeatedly. It never seems to want to come out except at random occurrences.... And yes, I'm pretty good at watching my meter consumption so that's not it either. I've even swapped the controller's settings to no avail!

I hate not being able to get the MB to always work when I want it to - it affects my game. For example, if I want to do a MB hook charge upon wake-up, I won't always get the 2 hits of armor to vastly improve the attack & end up getting knocked down mid-stride. I have a similar issue with my main, Lex Luthor - I can't seem to MB his gravity pull which is nigh on essential for extending his combos.
Yeah. Inputs in this game are typically pretty timing specific. What I would suggest in training mode, is have doomsday recorded to input mb venom over and over again. After he knocks you down, practice the timing on wakeup mb hook charge. He'll be able to absorb both hits of the hook charge, but you can still at least practice the timing in a more specific scenario.

But it's tough. I'll give you that.

Colonel-Gilgamesh

Hates NRS for making me not like Superman
Decided to try the new Lobo now that Doomsday is starting to feel stale. Couple questions I'm sure you guys get a lot.

12 into Grab: Where is the downside?

Is there any way I can start a combo with 2 Shells, use both of them, reload AND still have enough time and closeness to dash and/or grab?

He seems to have trouble with lows, perhaps to compensate for Pump Shot Nuclear Launching. WHat's an optimal combo starting from the Pump Low?

On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being Aquaman and Wonder Woman and 1 being...I dunno, Ares or BA.... How good is his standing 3 for an Anti-Air?

Is it viable to whiff 2 for the long range 1 and combo it into something? Or even just pester?

Got frame traps?

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Decided to try the new Lobo now that Doomsday is starting to feel stale. Couple questions I'm sure you guys get a lot.

Is there any way I can start a combo with 2 Shells, use both of them, reload AND still have enough time and closeness to dash and/or grab?

He seems to have trouble with lows, perhaps to compensate for Pump Shot Nuclear Launching. WHat's an optimal combo starting from the Pump Low?

On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being Aquaman and Wonder Woman and 1 being...I dunno, Ares or BA.... How good is his standing 3 for an Anti-Air?

Is it viable to whiff 2 for the long range 1 and combo it into something? Or even just pester?

Got frame traps?
12~Czar Toss is really good.

If you have trait, try...
21~Low Shot B.1~CTMB B.3 j.2 21 trait load
B.2.U.1 3~CTMB B.3 f.21 trait load
You get a free trait load but you can't get a free grab, with 21 though they have to respect the meaty pump shots

^ not the best combos most likely

3 is really good. I'd say it's one of the best though you can't really get great damage (MB Pump with trait is unclashable 30 something)

Captain Oxygen

The end of one combo is the beginning of another
12 is one of the better block-grab setups because it works on hit AND block, they can jump out of this one though.

Standing 3 is an amazing anti-air.
If the jump-in if obvious and you have a load of meter, you can cancel it into a B3 and then cancel the B3 into a forward dash to get an unscaled antiair combo.

I don't usually use the 21 string at long range because a jump will BLOW that up hard.

Reactions: RYX

Got frame traps?

12 into grab is avoided by jumping, just like every other tick throw.

you can end in 21 xx load and have time to either meaty Pump Shot MB for 7% chip or dash up and apply pressure. B1 xx Czar Toss MB, B3, J2, 21 xx ender of choice.

3 is the best in terms of anti-airing. If you have 2 trait shells and a bar, an anti-air 3 leads to 34% unclashable damage. 10/10

It's very risky, but good to check preemptive dashes, only on a read though.

Mostly tick throws. 113 is +6 on block, so you could probably do something with D1, but that's it.

Colonel-Gilgamesh

12 into grab is avoided by jumping, just like every other tick throw.

you can end in 21 xx load and have time to either meaty Pump Shot MB for 7% chip or dash up and apply pressure. B1 xx Czar Toss MB, B3, J2, 21 xx ender of choice.

3 is the best in terms of anti-airing. If you have 2 trait shells and a bar, an anti-air 3 leads to 34% unclashable damage. 10/10

It's very risky, but good to check preemptive dashes, only on a read though.

Mostly tick throws. 113 is +6 on block, so you could probably do something with D1, but that's it.
That reminds me, is there any frame data for lobo that is incorrect?

Flagg

Noob
So I'm looking for a team to accompany the MAIN MAN. While I use Lobo 90% and happy to grind out most matches ive been looking for backups. I've found Deathstroke to be excellent and also considering Scorpion.

I've used Ares and Zantanna, and contrary to what ppl think, I don't think Ares is that much better now and zatanna is really execution heavy. She's awesome and will be the Skarlet of Injustice where it will take a life time for ppl to realise how good she is, but for now I'm giving her a break.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
I feel like Lobo has one of the better footsie/screen control games. I really like that, not enough characters have good or even decent area control

Naug

Noob
You can confirm 3 antiair into charge(first hit of charge might whiff), while not great damage it gives decent oki. You can also 3, trait to load your shells.

Captain Oxygen

Did they change the ingame block advantage on his charge or is still listed as -21 or whatever it was? It's a lot less. I've seen the number -8 float around and that feels about right.
I think it was more negative on block before the patch, If it's safer now, that can just be patched under *Improved Viability as a Wakeup Attack*

Colonel-Gilgamesh

Hmm.... That's really it huh? Fair enough. How good is nuclear low pump shot. From my experiences, I'm having issue connecting anything juicy from it, though that's probably due to inexperience

Naug

Noob
Hmm.... That's really it huh? Fair enough. How good is nuclear low pump shot. From my experiences, I'm having issue connecting anything juicy from it, though that's probably due to inexperience
The easiest you can practice is the corner combo 21~low shot, 113 into w/e. Mid screen however you need quick fingers. 21~low shot, b1~MB toss into w/e. The b1~MB toss cancel can be quite hard but keep practicing, you'll get it down.

Captain Oxygen

Lobo's meant to be really good at that mid range,
Standing 3 to keep them in check, you can cancel it if you want to mix them up.
Low Chain, HookCharge, Czar Toss to keep to mix them up
You can even MB HookCharge on block to get free pressure since it's positive on block.

Lobo's 2,1 string is my go to string for mixing them up, after the 2nd hit they have to guess between low,overhead, and czar toss.

If the B1 xx Czar Toss link is too hard for you after trait low shot, you can try the D2 combo. I find it to be a little easier.

[After 21 xx Low Shot or D1 xx Low Shot] D2, forward dash, 3 xx Czar Toss MB, B3, J2, 21 xx Hook Charge.

It's a little less than the B1 followup, since D2 scaling, but yeah, it's a bit easier than the B1 bnb.

Colonel-Gilgamesh

Is 113 really +6? Despite being high, seems like his best in you face string unless I'm missing something. I mean it links into both oki and damage. Though 21 is just as good I'd imagine. Also, what is the frame data on his nuclear shot normals? PS down seems much safer with shells. And the fact they can roll out of d3 when landed on airborne opponents is BS. All that beautiful knockdown time, wasted on a non hard knockdown. At least it's useful for making Superman's cape glitch out