What's new

The Zoning Academy (Mortal Kombat X Edition)

Guessing how to block is part of fighting games. If the video showed proper spacing, utilization of all his tools, and still able to keep him out, then bravo. Great zoning. But it's one move, over and over. And when they jumped it, he could block no problem. Or even armor. Like that's not zoning. That's auto pilot spam. No thought process whatsoever
Your tripping. If you yhink 50/50s are considered lesrning how to block. Im mainly a street fighter player. Where 50/50s rarely exist. You know why because thier based solely on luck and not skill. Its not skill if you cant react fast to block a 2frame low over head mix up. Its not skill eating 40 or 50 percent of your life bar because you guessed wrong. Zpning takes tremendous skills,reactions and timing. Oh and you even have to train your opponent and learn to read them. I like this game its amazing. But dont go saying 50/50s take skills because they dont.

I'm a zoning based player and that was hardly zoning.
Theb im afraid you need to braoden your spectrum of zoning. Eveb wheb people spam its zoning. Albeit disorganized with no purpose. It still is zoning the opponent out. Keeping them at bay. Regardless if its pretty or ugly haphazard or planned to a t. Zoning a opponent out rehardless of the move is about controlling space. Which he did. Very well.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Reading some posts in this thread, I'm a bit skeptical if there are some trollish inside jokes I'm just not getting or if people are serious.

gibster13

A fan of fans
How can you say it isn't zoning when it is clear the kitana player can't get in. Even M2DAVE says it is effective zoning, what more do you want? Isn't keeping people out the aim of zoning. Lowshot and straight shot then use upshots if they come into range. Your not going to upshot if its gonna wiff when the lowshot won't . It is the most effective way of zoning with HQT, like it or not,it done the job. Zoning doesn't have to be pretty to keep someone out. It can be ugly if it does the job it is intended to do.

gibster13

A fan of fans
As hqt pred im having hard time vs tanya and get outzoned by mournful kitana.
Tanya is a pain but if they are in dragon swaginata or kobu it is alright to zone them out. Pyro is hard for the airfieball. You can't really upshot because the angle misses if they are at fullscreen, this is why discs are quite useful. I feel hunter is the more approbate vacation for tanya because you can trow a trap under her feet.

I have not had a lot of mournful experience but there is a similar problem with tanya for air glaive. Try hunter as said before. It is hard for they have a lot of mobility with air fireballs

Your tripping. If you yhink 50/50s are considered lesrning how to block. Im mainly a street fighter player. Where 50/50s rarely exist. You know why because thier based solely on luck and not skill. Its not skill if you cant react fast to block a 2frame low over head mix up. Its not skill eating 40 or 50 percent of your life bar because you guessed wrong. Zpning takes tremendous skills,reactions and timing. Oh and you even have to train your opponent and learn to read them. I like this game its amazing. But dont go saying 50/50s take skills because they dont.
i approve this post

ABACABB

End Of Humanity
Tanya is a pain but if they are in dragon swaginata or kobu it is alright to zone them out. Pyro is hard for the airfieball. You can't really upshot because the angle misses if they are at fullscreen, this is why discs are quite useful. I feel hunter is the more approbate vacation for tanya because you can trow a trap under her feet.

I have not had a lot of mournful experience but there is a similar problem with tanya for air glaive. Try hunter as said before. It is hard for they have a lot of mobility with air fireballs
Ye I feel like these could be bad mus for Pred .
As quan chi player I can say he outzones predator too.

gibster13

A fan of fans
Ye I feel like these could be bad mus for Pred .
As quan chi player I can say he outzones predator too.
Quan vs HQT is a close one. I have found bone shaper Shinnok out zones pretty much everyone because he has the bf1 trade at 8% Shinnok beats HQT. I used to be a Quan main :D

gibster13

A fan of fans

A ft3 with a Johnny Cage player with my Shinnok. There is some zoning aswell. Some one asked me to upload Shinnok zoning and stuff :D Hope this helps. I don't normally drop the njp of the EX low scoop, it was slightly laggy.

Awkward Sloth

Lamest Harley, still better sloth than Jer
How can you zone to the best with that teleport of hers ? Yes it got nerfed but she still has good mobility
Because she gets hit out of her teleport now and she has super bad recovery after a teleport.

She had a way around zoning with pre patch teleport but if you honestly think it its current state it's good mobility then you have no clue what you're talking about. :/

Quan and predator both have ways to check her mobility down easily. Forcing her to play a grounded game with t-Rex arms of hers.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
Did someone say that 50/50s don't exist in Street fighter? I hope you know that a 50/50 isn't just between a high/low mixup.....
i dont think he said 50/50s dont exist in street fighter, i am pretty sure he just said not very many exist in street fighter, the only 50/50 character i can think of in SF is el fuerte

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
are you a troll? if not, did you read his post? cuz they aren't based on skill!
I did read his post, I'm unaware of someone with a 2 frame low/oh 50/50, and will you say getting in takes no skill against a good zoner?'
50/50 is my reward like chip damage is yours.

I did read his post, I'm unaware of someone with a 2 frame low/oh 50/50, and will you say getting in takes no skill against a good zoner?'
50/50 is my reward like chip damage is yours.
it takes skill with some of the cast, but still 50/50 is not your reward. why should a guessing game be your reward?
playing better is your reward, maybe a good read? a bait? some character have real good pressure too and mind games.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
Dudley, Ibuki, and all the other characters with a ton of crossup setups, they don't count?
my bad i forgot about them, im not primarily an sf player, as i said, the only one i could think of, still not that many compared to a massive cast of what, 50 characters?

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Dudley, Ibuki, and all the other characters with a ton of crossup setups, they don't count?
He should be more specific and say braindead 50/50 starters.

There are always exceptions yes, but the vast majority of the cast doesn't have stuff like "oh look I landed a Sonya low poke, now you must guess OH/Low starter to not lose 30%" or "oh look, Ermac landed a kick so now you must guess OH/Low starter to not lose 35%, and if you guess wrong you lose the health and have to guess again" or Raiden's "oh look, that combo 3/4's of the screen away put my in the corner, so now I must guess to not lose the entire round in the corner".

The fact of 50/50's is not the problem. The problem is how incredibly stupid, easy, and powerful the 50/50 starters are.