What's new

The Zoning Academy (Mortal Kombat X Edition)

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
@General M2Dave we're due for a Top 5 Zoners update post patch.

Also, how do you think Gunslinger Erron fares in the zoning department after the buffs? Messing around with him in the lab some and he seems to have some keep out potential and projectile mixups that can actually work now.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
@General M2Dave we're due for a Top 5 Zoners update post patch.

Also, how do you think Gunslinger Erron fares in the zoning department after the buffs? Messing around with him in the lab some and he seems to have some keep out potential and projectile mixups that can actually work now.
I have to test Gunslinger, but the following is my initial reaction.

1. Summoner Quan Chi
2. Aftershock Tremor
3. Hish-Qu-Ten Predator
4. Royal Storm Kitana
5. Bone Shaper Shinnok

I have to test Gunslinger, but the following is my initial reaction.

1. Summoner Quan Chi
2. Aftershock Tremor
3. Hish-Qu-Ten Predator
4. Royal Storm Kitana
5. Bone Shaper Shinnok
I agree with the most characters on the list but why Aftershock Tremor?!? I didn't have a chance to check him after patch, is his zoning significantly better?

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I agree with the most characters on the list but why Aftershock Tremor?!? I didn't have a chance to check him after patch, is his zoning significantly better?
Rolling stone has 10 less recovery frames, knocks down, and guarantees EX ground pulse.

Aerial earth shake is safer on block by 5 frames.

Rock drop has not changed and is still good for anti-zoning.

I could be mistaken, but Tremor's zoning is very good in a non-traditional way.

gibster13

A fan of fans
Rolling stone has 10 less recovery frames, knocks down, and guarantees EX ground pulse.

I agree but personally I think HQT is slightly better because there are less gaps to move in the zoning. You do you go about zoning with tremor? I'm not too sure on how to keep them out as long as I can with summoner or HQT. I agree it's not traditional at all

haketh

Noob

Take a look at Metallic, the recovery buffs seemed pretty large from what DJT was showing. The reward for hitting a Rolling Lava is nuts, 31% unbreakable.

Quan's d1 is -9 on block and +3 on hit after the hotfix. I am ok with negative frames on block but +3 on hit. What do you do with +3 as Quan Chi. +6 was fine, you could at least throw without getting poked.

jokey77

Character Loyalist
Quan's d1 is -9 on block and +3 on hit after the hotfix. I am ok with negative frames on block but +3 on hit. What do you do with +3 as Quan Chi. +6 was fine, you could at least throw without getting poked.
Throwing still seems to be the best option as throws usually beat pokes. Most characters can't beat a 10f throw after being -3. Besides the hit advantage of throws has been slightly buffed, iirc.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
It's ok, you still have the best 50/50s and vortex in the game.

gibster13

A fan of fans
Top 5 zoners (imo)

1)Quan chi (summoner)
2)Predator (Hish-Qu-Ten)
3)Shinnok (Bone shaper)
4)Kitana (Royal storm)
5)Liu Kang (flame fist)

opinions :D?

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
New list

1)summoner quan
2) HQT predator
3)cybernetic Kano
4)aftershock tremor
5)Liu / kitana
Get that bum Kano off the list lol. To me I think these 3 significantly can do it better than the cast.

1) Summoner Quan Chi
2) HQT Predator
3) Mournful Kitana

In the process of learning Mournful myself. Gonna use her next week at my local. If I had to add a 4th and 5th I'd go with Liu and Tremor.

Where do you think it stands in 2016 @General M2Dave?

gibster13

A fan of fans
Get that bum Kano off the list lol. To me I think these 3 significantly can do it better than the cast.

1) Summoner Quan Chi
2) HQT Predator
3) Mournful Kitana

In the process of learning Mournful myself. Gonna use her next week at my local. If I had to add a 4th and 5th I'd go with Liu and Tremor.

Based on experience Kano is there. That is all

KingKhrystopher

Official Merlin of TYM
Is Kitana really that good of a zoner compared to the rest of the cast? I learned how to IAF last night, but opponents still just duck them, and the iafs seem to come out just as fast as ground fans, since you have to jump and do it.

gibster13

A fan of fans
Kitana is a 6/10 zoner in Royal storm or assassin. This is because the fans don't do any damage wen they are ducked. This means that zoning someone out with her is pretty useless unless gaining meter, have a life lead or knowing it will work agaisnt a specific opponent (match up).

Her IAF are faster then normal and are insane at covering air space but these to can be ducked.

Mornful is where the zoning is at. It is insane. I would like if glaive done 6% like Kanos knives in cybernetic to compete in zoning wars but I doubt this will happen ;-;

All my opinions

M2Dave

Zoning Master

1) Summoner Quan Chi
2) HQT Predator
3) Mournful Kitana

Summoner Quan Chi and HQT Predator are the two best zoning characters. Then zoning becomes match up dependent and is a toss up between Royal Storm Kitana, Bone Shaper Shinnok, and Aftershock / Crystalline Tremor.

Cybernetic Kano's and Mournful Kitana's zoning does very poor damage. They cannot be top 5. Cybernetic Kano, in particular, is similar to Cyborg. Nonexistent offense and mediocre damage output.

I should repeat that zoning in this game is crippled by the run button. Unless the zoning leads to offense or lots of damage, it is irrelevant at a high level.

gibster13

A fan of fans
Summoner Quan Chi and HQT Predator are the two best zoning characters. Then zoning becomes match up dependent and is a toss up between Royal Storm Kitana, Bone Shaper Shinnok, and Aftershock / Crystalline Tremor.

Cybernetic Kano's and Mournful Kitana's zoning does very poor damage. They cannot be top 5. Cybernetic Kano, in particular, is similar to Cyborg. Nonexistent offense and mediocre damage output.

I should repeat that zoning in this game is crippled by the run button. Unless the zoning leads to offense or lots of damage, it is irrelevant at a high level.
Very true. I was basing my cybernetic placing on how well I have done with it. Perhaps it's just the opponents I'm against ?

M2dave, anyone your looking forward to in kp2? perhaps an insane zoner might hopefully come out. You never know I guess