What's new

The Zoning Academy (Mortal Kombat X Edition)

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I heard Cowboy was using Necro and did great. Did anyone see or was it off stream? I didn't see it. Hope to see it later.

RM_NINfan101

Nine Inch Nails fan from Metro Detroit, Michigan
Ok so I'll try shinnok and shaolin KJ. Any specific variation of shinnok? How do they each play
I would recommend you go into our Shinnok thread and look at the last couple of pages and how they changed him and how we like him, but I definitely say Bone Shaper is a great one to start with, is easier than Impostor as Impostor does take more time to learn but is almost, maybe even just as good as Bone Shaper. His fireball zones ridiculously well in BS.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
I would recommend you go into our Shinnok thread and look at the last couple of pages and how they changed him and how we like him, but I definitely say Bone Shaper is a great one to start with, is easier than Impostor as Impostor does take more time to learn but is almost, maybe even just as good as Bone Shaper. His fireball zones ridiculously well in BS.
Ok bone shaper it is. Thanks.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Post CEO update.

1. Pyromancer Tanya
2. Bone Shaper Shinnok
3. Summoner Quan Chi
4. Mournful Kitana
5. Flame Fist Liu Kang
No Kenshi? I still think he's incredibly viable with good space control. I'd certainly rate him above mournful and flame fist.

Even in kenjutsu he has decent zoning tools and a 50/50.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Where do you have necromancer Shinnok at? And can you explain your mournful Kitana placement? Not disagreeing with your list just curious
I am sure you saw Cowboy fight Honey Bee. Necromancer has poor horizontal control. You can still easily run through flick and get a full combo punish. In my opinion, Necromancer is Shinnok's worst variation.

I am still experimenting with Mournful Kitana, but she seems to have what is necessary of a viable zoning character in this game.

- controllable, mid-hitting projectile with very good recovery
- safest aerial projectile in the game
- various armor EX special moves for defense
- immense block frame advantage on EX glaive and an overhead for offense

I am just not sure how good Kitana's footsies are in this game.

No Kenshi? I still think he's incredibly viable with good space control. I'd certainly rate him above mournful and flame fist.

Even in kenjutsu he has decent zoning tools and a 50/50.
I am not yet convinced. Ducked tele-flurries have horrendous recovery frames while overhead slashes are kind of slow.

He is most likely better than Jacqui and Kano, though.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
I am sure you saw Cowboy fight Honey Bee. Necromancer has poor horizontal control. You can still easily run through flick and get a full combo punish. In my opinion, Necromancer is Shinnok's worst variation.

I am still experimenting with Mournful Kitana, but she seems to have what is necessary of a viable zoning character in this game.

I am not yet convinced. Ducked tele-flurries have horrendous recovery frames while overhead slashes are kind of slow.

f1 eats up alotta peoples buttons, string can now be kept safe. D1~jade kick has great pushback on block and if it hits yer golden.

Devin Thorn

chimp damage

Very good points, I think I got caught up in the Necromancer buffs and didn't actually see him in practice. Unfortunately I missed Cowboy vs Honeybee which sucked because I was hype for that match lol. As for Kitana those were also great points but I feel her projectile being so weak compared to the other zoners you mentioned should put her below Liu Kang at least, 5% is quite weak although the frame advantage on ex is amazing and perhaps makes up for that? Idk she wouldn't really wanna trade fireballs with anyone else in your list and that's a negative IMO
basically I agree with her being top 5 but not above Liu Kang

RM_NINfan101

Nine Inch Nails fan from Metro Detroit, Michigan
When Bone Grab stops whiffing against D'Vorah, Sonya, Jacqui and Tanya's run...then we'll see.
You think he needs to snag everybody? Just asking before I share my thoughts. I think it definitely should. They gotta at least be forced to block... Just my two cents. I mean I would like Summoned Fiend to connect on males off of 312 as well but oh well. Still he's pretty playable now for sure.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
You think he needs to snag everybody? Just asking before I share my thoughts. I think it definitely should. They gotta at least be forced to block... Just my two cents. I mean I would like Summoned Fiend to connect on males off of 312 as well but oh well. Still he's pretty playable now for sure.
Yeah he definately needs to snag every running character...still got a ways to go for this variation IMO.

gibster13

A fan of fans
My best zoners (my opinion and with reasons)

1) Tanya pyromancer-mobility zoning is the best zoning. Her fireballs are crazy when dust is active as well
2)Quan summoner-plus plus plus. The skulls are insane and can be done in the air. Rune is very fast and causes knockdown
3)Shinnok bone shaper-crazy projectile,unblockables,he'll sparks means you can't jump and 3/4 armourable low
4)Kitana Mournful-glaive has insane recovery and so does air glaive. EX is mental and gives options even from full screen
5)Liu kang flame fist-low,high and instant airable. With shaolin flame they do 10.50% which is crazy

gibster13

A fan of fans
I have seen the predator leaks and his zoning in Hish-Qu-ten makes me happy

He has lasers which can be shot close,middle or far. They can also be shot straight and also at an angle in the air. He has tracking discs as well and it looks pretty mental.

gibster13

A fan of fans
I'm gonna be giving that variation an extended look. Does he have a good AA in Hish-qu-ten?
Not sure but what interested me is his cannon seemed to fire instantly after a air shot. Like Harley's air gun to straight gun in IGAU.his ex straight gun does 13%

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
LOL they saved M2Dave's characters for DLC. They learned their lesson from DS in Injustice. Let the casuals have fun month 1 and THEN put out all the zoning. Smart move NRS smart move.

Post CEO update.

1. Pyromancer Tanya
2. Bone Shaper Shinnok
3. Summoner Quan Chi
4. Mournful Kitana
5. Flame Fist Liu Kang
Do you consider Jax with a zoning and spacing mindset viable as well? I looked at him from a zoning perspective with wrestler and pumped up and I think it can work. Shoot projectiles until your opponent comes in, then apply your pressure options. Knock them back then go back to zoning. Even tho energy wave is a high, +7 anywhere is still valuable imo.