What's new

The Zoning Academy (Mortal Kombat X Edition)

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Do you mean Necromancer Shinnok?

Otherwise, I completely agree with this list.
Bone shaper has that plus on block projectile thing, a full screen unblockable and hell sparks... Maybe that's what he's referring to? Necro does seem like the better single variation though.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Bone shaper has that plus on block projectile thing, a full screen unblockable and hell sparks... Maybe that's what he's referring to? Necro does seem like the better single variation though.
- albeit high, quick projectile with quick traveling speed
- an unblockable move that is difficult to react to
- hell sparks and EX hell sparks
- 15F half screen launcher with armor
- decent reset
- very good footsie tools and pokes (i.e., d+1, d+4, f+3,1, etc.)

Bone Shaper is better than Necromancer in my opinion.

VOR

Noob
I don't consider myself to be strictly a zoner or rushdown player. I am happy to see the buffs to zoning, giving this game more variety. Just discovering the glory of Pyromancer Tanya. While zoning won't get you everywhere in this game, I think a mostly zoning playstyle actually has the potential to win a major now.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I think bone shaper is a extremely good variation. I think that quan has better zoning the pyromancer. Can you explain why it is better then quan? @General M2Dave thanks :)
Quan Chi may zone better, but overall Tanya is a better character. In fact, Tanya is arguably one of the best characters in the game, and I have a feeling a couple of Tanya players will do some serious damage this weekend at CEO. Pyromancer Tanya excels at a handful of gameplay aspects, which includes defense, footsies, punishing, zoning, and anti-zoning, but she is defined by her mobility. Mobility, backward mobility in particular, costs stamina in this game. In general, stamina governs various aspects of the game (i.e., forward and backward movement, pressure and combos for many characters). Using instant aerial teleport, Tanya maneuvers around the screen free of stamina. She is the only character in the game who is able to move even after combo breaking, which is a huge difference maker.

I personally think the invincibility on the teleport has to go. At EVO, we are going to see mirror matches of two players constantly teleporting and being unable to hit each other.

gibster13

A fan of fans
Quan Chi may zone better, but overall Tanya is a better character. In fact, Tanya is arguably one of the best characters in the game, and I have a feeling a couple of Tanya players will do some serious damage this weekend at CEO. Pyromancer Tanya excels at a handful of gameplay aspects, which includes defense, footsies, punishing, zoning, and anti-zoning, but she is defined by her mobility. Mobility, backward mobility in particular, costs stamina in this game. In general, stamina governs various aspects of the game (i.e., forward and backward movement, pressure and combos for many characters). Using instant aerial teleport, Tanya maneuvers around the screen free of stamina. She is the only character in the game who is able to move even after combo breaking, which is a huge difference maker.

I personally think the invincibility on the teleport has to go. At EVO, we are going to see mirror matches of two players constantly teleporting and being unable to hit each other.
I agree :D perhaps a Tanya video tutorial is needed :)

After using all of Shinnok's variations I agree with m2dave.

Boneshaper shinnok has some of the best screen control in the game plus solid damage, resets and pressure to back it up.

BF1 is absurd when trading fullscreen vs other zoners. Its recovery is practically nonexistent.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
- albeit high, quick projectile with quick traveling speed
- an unblockable move that is difficult to react to
- hell sparks and EX hell sparks
- 15F half screen launcher with armor
- decent reset
- very good footsie tools and pokes (i.e., d+1, d+4, f+3,1, etc.)

Bone Shaper is better than Necromancer in my opinion.
Both of these are good but I think Necromancer is a slightly better full on zoning variation and Bone Shaper is definitely a better overall variation.

With the buffs to Necro, characters can't run or jump at any distance that isn't close range without you having first shot at a read, and if correct they're full screen again. Characters like Erron and Sub-zero can spend the majority of the match on the other side of the screen, with Necro completely shutting down their normal tools like ice clone, both slides, etc, just for them to be full screen again, which is very uncommon in this game.

Though Bone Shaper has amazing zoning in itself also, the vortex, and is better suited for more MU's than his other variations. I don't like Imposter too much (it's good but just not appealing to me) but Bone Shaper and Necro will be my secondaries to Tanya going forward.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
After using all of Shinnok's variations I agree with m2dave.

Boneshaper shinnok has some of the best screen control in the game plus solid damage, resets and pressure to back it up.

BF1 is absurd when trading fullscreen vs other zoners. Its recovery is practically nonexistent.
I know you were happy with the buffs! lol

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Both of these are good but I think Necromancer is a slightly better full on zoning variation and Bone Shaper is definitely a better overall variation.

With the buffs to Necro, characters can't run or jump at any distance that isn't close range without you having first shot at a read, and if correct they're full screen again. Characters like Erron and Sub-zero can spend the majority of the match on the other side of the screen, with Necro completely shutting down their normal tools like ice clone, both slides, etc, just for them to be full screen again, which is very uncommon in this game.

Though Bone Shaper has amazing zoning in itself also, the vortex, and is better suited for more MU's than his other variations. I don't like Imposter too much (it's good but just not appealing to me) but Bone Shaper and Necro will be my secondaries to Tanya going forward.

You and i have eerily similar tastes in characters.

After using Necro alot after the patch then switching to Bone Shaper I think Bone Shaper's zoning might be better.

BF1 is a projectile you can spam without mercy vs most of the cast including Sub Zero.
Sub Zero can only beat Bf1 on a read or with armor if he reacts quickly. Its so fast he cant even duck it and slide.

You can easily set up a respect game with BF1 that is almost completely safe then start using scoop, HS and unblockable.

When using Necro his fullscreen game is a bit riskier. Because you have to mindgame with flick vs grab and grab is unsafe vs some
characters (teleport characters like scorpion and ermac)

Overall Boneshaper is his best variation. I could see Necromancer Shinnok being used vs Summoner Quan maybe, but I haven't
been able to play that matchup yet.

Bottom line: you can spam Bf1 without worry as opposed to Necro where you have to worry about runs and teleports.
Bone Shaper is less risky while outzoning everyone.

xQUANTUMx

Twitter: @xxQUANTUM
not in the top five but I'm having a heck of a lot of fun chucking fire at people with Bruce Kang. Have been since day 1.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
You and i have eerily similar tastes in characters.
Hahaha!!! For real. I think I'll go play Raiden now. :DOGE

After using Necro alot after the patch then switching to Bone Shaper I think Bone Shaper's zoning might be better.

BF1 is a projectile you can spam without mercy vs most of the cast including Sub Zero.
Sub Zero can only beat Bf1 on a read or with armor if he reacts quickly. Its so fast he cant even duck it and slide.

You can easily set up a respect game with BF1 that is almost completely safe then start using scoop, HS and unblockable.

When using Necro his fullscreen game is a bit riskier. Because you have to mindgame with flick vs grab and grab is unsafe vs some
characters (teleport characters like scorpion and ermac)

Overall Boneshaper is his best variation. I could see Necromancer Shinnok being used vs Summoner Quan maybe, but I haven't
been able to play that matchup yet.

Bottom line: you can spam Bf1 without worry as opposed to Necro where you have to worry about runs and teleports.
Bone Shaper is less risky while outzoning everyone.
Yea I don't think Necro would be good against too many teleport characters for sure. Hmm, I've been inspired to get up out the bed and turn on this Bone Shaper right now. Thanks for the info, gonna give it a thorough lab spin.

Iustinus

Deus Fulminatus
I was originally a zoner in MK9, maining Sindel of all characters, but corrupted myself into a rushdown fool to play Raiden when this game began. I have seen the error of my ways and will convert back to the one true mode of play.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
In taking at full screen. Kano can dash his flick where hell sparks can't reach
Sounds situational. If he's at full screen you can punish his dash/run with bone grab. If you used flick you're still at distance and can dictate the next step since if he moves after the dash you have the tools to crush anything outside of an immediate armored ball. If he's back dashing away then that just makes life easier.

gibster13

A fan of fans
The tracking has been improved.

If he dashes, use bone grab.

Make better reads, my man.
Better reads doesn't get past the fact grab is -20. Bone shaper is better zoning. Necromancer is designed to have a good flick and they buff it every patch but still doesnt do its job

gibster13

A fan of fans
Sounds situational. If he's at full screen you can punish his dash/run with bone grab. If you used flick you're still at distance and can dictate the next step since if he moves after the dash you have the tools to crush anything outside of an immediate armored ball. If he's back dashing away then that just makes life easier.
His forward dash can't be punished with grab. Kano has insane dashes

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Necromancer is designed to have a good flick and they buff it every patch but still doesnt do its job
:confused:

His forward dash can't be punished with grab. Kano has insane dashes
Unless you can play Kano and react within 1F, you aren't dashing out of anything. There's a tiny small window that grab will whiff, and all other frames it will grab. If you're playing a dash happy Kano you can do Bone Grab at any point outside of the "just started out" animation and grab. In a real match it'll hit 19/20 times.

Reactions: GAV

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Better reads doesn't get past the fact grab is -20. Bone shaper is better zoning. Necromancer is designed to have a good flick and they buff it every patch but still doesnt do its job

Better reads does when you know when and how to use your moves.

Nevermind, Saltshaker covered it for me.

Reactions: GAV