What's new

The Zoning Academy (Mortal Kombat X Edition)

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Necromancer is overrated. The zoning is average. Bone Shaper is much better. Not surprisingly, someone is already doing some serious work at CEO with Bone Shaper.
The best Shinnoks I have played used the Impostor variant. Is that the best variation?

gibster13

A fan of fans
How isn't flame fist Liu Kang mention here(I think :D)I think his zoning is top 5. His fireballs do 7% and 10.50% with shaolin flame. That is insane. 6% chip and has instant air and low fire ball. This is also with his mental rushdown. I zone soooo many people out with him and I love it. I would also love if @General M2Dave gave this variation a look and review :) ?

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games
I hear wound is putting in work with necro shinnok. Are we going to see some zoning fundamentals in top 8 for MKX? After all these 3 months?

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
How isn't flame fist Liu Kang mention here(I think :D)I think his zoning is top 5. His fireballs do 7% and 10.50% with shaolin flame. That is insane. 6% chip and has instant air and low fire ball. This is also with his mental rushdown. I zone soooo many people out with him and I love it. I would also love if @General M2Dave gave this variation a look and review :) ?
yea good point

RM_NINfan101

Nine Inch Nails fan from Metro Detroit, Michigan
As a Necro main, I will say his other two variations are better clearly, but he still is a viable zoner with some dirt including the EX Unblockable OTG that you can do off airborne opponents or on hard knockdowns, so he isn't terrible at all, just likely isn't on the same tier as Bone Shaper, who's projectile zones way better than flick lol

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Are there any good normal focused character's? I was looking at Kano but he seems too bad. I know that crazy offense is favored right now but there has to be characters who have some shining moments with good normals.

RM_NINfan101

Are there any good normal focused character's? I was looking at Kano but he seems too bad. I know that crazy offense is favored right now but there has to be characters who have some shining moments with good normals.
Shinnok.

gibster13

A fan of fans
Kano is not bad. Cybernetic is extremely good both his normals and zoning. Give cybernetic a chance I think it is A tier.

GGA Max

I did a small worksheet for the fundamental things in this game (weighted by how important they are)

Criteria were (highest importance to lowest):
50/50's
Neutral game
Counter range/zoning
Poking
Zoning
Gaps in strings

Normalized results:
Bone Shaper 10
Impostor 9
Necromancer 7.5

Bone Shaper has basically an element for each of the criteria above. It's the most balanced even though necro might be better at zoning, and impostor might be better at counter zoning & the neutral game.

RM_NINfan101

I did a small worksheet for the fundamental things in this game (weighted by how important they are)

Criteria were (highest importance to lowest):
50/50's
Neutral game
Counter range/zoning
Poking
Zoning
Gaps in strings

Normalized results:
Bone Shaper 10
Impostor 9
Necromancer 7.5

Bone Shaper has basically an element for each of the criteria above. It's the most balanced even though necro might be better at zoning, and impostor might be better at counter zoning.
If anything I definitely think all three are worth learning for separate matchups and your post really only confirms my view Max!

necromancer seems to use a little zoning to give them a reason to run/jump in so that you can stuff them when vulnerable, if you do a bunch in a row theyll get in so you prob gotta just do one/two and leave the ball in their court for a moment to react to their next move. Seems much better close up than bone shaper

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
necromancer seems to use a little zoning to give them a reason to run/jump in so that you can stuff them when vulnerable, if you do a bunch in a row theyll get in so you prob gotta just do one/two and leave the ball in their court for a moment to react to their next move. Seems much better close up than bone shaper
Neither Impostor nor Necromancer are better than Bone Shaper up close for one simple reason:
F41D2.

That string is everything. EVERYTHING.

i agree, boneshaper shinnok has the tools to deal with any matchup.

fast punishes, safe pressure, 50/50,
solid damage, great utility zoning tool,
armored launcher, good d2, solid jump normals. hes everything you could want

M2Dave

Zoning Master
The zoning is definitely very good, especially in shaolin flame. But I am not yet certain how the overall package is like. When windmill punches are canceled into any special move in Flame Fist, gaps are created that you can armor through. He has a couple of conspicuous weaknesses too. His jump and jumping normal attacks are horrendous like Kano's while his footsies are not top tier status.