What's new

The Zoning Academy (Mortal Kombat 11 Edition)

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
My zoning brothers and sisters, I hear Baraka's projectile has already been normalized. Apparently, a slow and disadvantageous-on-block fireball, according to Tweedy, was overpowered for the "high level players" in attendance at the gameplay reveal. If NRS is normalizing mediocre zoning, one must wonder whether zoning has any chance to live in Mortal Kombat 11.
Now that doesn't make sense as to why they'd do that. I've seen his frame data, he's already negative on so many things on block.

Ram

Buluc Chabtan
I'm ok with this
Injustice 1 everything + Injustice 2 walkspeeds = kreygasm

EDIT: now that I think about it, just like MK9 has been modified for fixing and rebalancing things (MK9:TE), can the same sort of thing be done for Injustice 1? Doing things like improving walkspeeds, maybe taking away meterbuild on meterburn attacks, nerfing Martian's overhead teleport, etc?

Last edited:

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Injustice 1 everything + Injustice 2 walkspeeds = kreygasm

EDIT: now that I think about it, just like MK9 has been modified for fixing and rebalancing things (MK9:TE), can the same sort of thing be done for Injustice 1? Doing things like improving walkspeeds, maybe taking away meterbuild on meterburn attacks, nerfing Martian's overhead teleport, etc?
This needs to happen. TE is amazing and Ive been playing Noob in that to prepare for 11

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
My zoning brothers and sisters, I hear Baraka's projectile has already been normalized. Apparently, a slow and disadvantageous-on-block fireball, according to Tweedy, was overpowered for the "high level players" in attendance at the gameplay reveal. If NRS is normalizing mediocre zoning, one must wonder whether zoning has any chance to live in Mortal Kombat 11.
Yeah they showed that in the story trailer, iirc. I think the opponent neutral ducked it in the trailer.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
There were only a handful of real zoners in MKX and they couldn't actually zone against a quarter or more of the cast, basically becoming rushdown characters with good projectiles. The meta of Injustice 2 favored zoning over rushdown but the meta of MKX's meta was rushdown with a tiny helping of zoning. And then a character like Piercing Mileena, you really gonna call her a zoner or is she just a dominant character with strong tools all around?

Don't hate the player champ, hate the game

Last edited:

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Didn’t Skarlet’s projectile get nerfed too?

That sounds like a pretty big nerf to Baraka, this is all theoretical of course, but a decent mid fireball would make Baraka’s opponent want to block a lot in the mid range (obviously) which would be a nice way to catch people with his leaping command grab. Now that we can just stay neutral crouching to avoid Baraka’s fireball, it will simultaneously allow us to avoid his command grab. Obviously I haven’t played the game yet and it’s all theory fighting for fun but that sounds bad for him. Aside from losing the obvious benicits of a mid projectile.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
I'm assuming that Baraka's amplified projectile will still be mid, and I think moving away from simple straight mid projectiles is smart. Especially for a character like Baraka who is clearly not meant to be a sit back and zone type of character, does he really need to chip away at you constantly with a mid spark? And yeah they said they nerfed at least the pushback on Scarlet's blood tongue.

I think zoning will be strong enough in this game, the meta is going to be way more favorable towards zoning strategies than MKX was.

Edit: Added more meat to the post

Last edited:

Blizer

Cheap Kollector Rip Off
So, they already nerfing projectiles

Uhh, something tells me that 50/50 will be even more core in this game, than any other if NRS are trying to put zoning/projectile spam into the ground.

This could be interesting to see what the meta develops into tbh. Feels like Grapplers could be fucking strong this game if thats the case.

Blizer

Cheap Kollector Rip Off
I Thought Tempest is better into kitana then buzzsaw

but lag can fuck u up no matter what, so ehh

BurdaA

Frost-Byte
I think I found my zoning mantra:

“All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you...Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.”

It's from a pretty hardcore book about warriors.
Love this book so much. The missing; “digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning” bit works nicely as an academy mantra too imo.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Love this book so much. The missing; “digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning” bit works nicely as an academy mantra too imo.
Yeah, I had to mod it a bit to make it fit. Glad someone caught the reference though.

Cashual

PSN: Cansuela
The biggest issue is the scrub has got to actually want to get better. If they couldn’t care less about how good they were, competitive fighters, etc, then yes it’s pointless. But I’d wager that a lot of scrubs want to do all of those things. And I want to help remove the scales away from their eyes, just as the scales were removed from mine. Because it’s like unlocking your hidden potential in an anime or some shit, it’s glorious.
Exactly, and that’s why I never have an issue helping a newer player who shows up and goes “man....full auto Jacqui!!! What the fuck do I do?”. Because, that is the person with the attitude of getting better.

I don’t see that all too often, because that requires some degree of self awareness and humility. And definitely in this thread it’s more of the “hurr durr mkx zoning is broken”.

Burn2019

Noob
Exactly, and that’s why I never have an issue helping a newer player who shows up and goes “man....full auto Jacqui!!! What the fuck do I do?”. Because, that is the person with the attitude of getting better.

I don’t see that all too often, because that requires some degree of self awareness and humility. And definitely in this thread it’s more of the “hurr durr mkx zoning is broken”.
I’m seeing more posts with “it’s boring” rather than “its broken,” myself.

Hitoshura

Head Cage
The same image confirmed he still uses the shadow though.

Johnny's stunt double doesn't mean we can't have shadow projectiles.

Noob also has other zoning tools, like his ghostball and trap portals.
I completely missed the "shadow" text in the image. Haha. My bad.

I wouldn't consider ghostball and portals zoning tools, but more so tools to set your opponents up for resets.

Cashual

PSN: Cansuela
I’m seeing more posts with “it’s boring” rather than “its broken,” myself.
A lot of that in the last few pages for sure.

I don’t really see the need to argue people’s subjective experiences, so it is what it is. I’d say it’s boring to be forced to guess over and over with the threat of 40% of your health bar at stake each time. To me, any overly repetitive play style is boring to some extent.

I just don’t think zoning or even working around it is particularly boring, but people enjoy what they enjoy, so that’s fine. I like fighting games that have multiple viable play styles and strategies. Gimme grapplers, pressure, zoning, whiff punishing/footsies, all of it.