What's new

The Zoning Academy (Mortal Kombat 11 Edition)

Ram

Buluc Chabtan
People talk like if zoning is playing neutral or spacing or like if it requires lots of skill. It doesn't. All you have to do is learn your projectile moves and figure out when to walk back or shoot which type of projectile. The whole risk and skill in a zoning meta falls on the back of the player getting zoned. The zoner shoots projectiles from full screen while taking no risks and building meter. The player getting zoned has to walk in while dodging projectiles and getting absolutely nothing in return (except chip damage...nice) while risking getting hit by the barrage of projectiles. Eventually they get close enough to actually play a little bit just to be faced with an opponent who has 2 or 3 more bars of meter.

I don't know how people relate zoning to neutral when it has nothing neutral about it. Its one character attacking another character with a barrage of projectiles.

After injustice I am convinced that I wan't zoning as far away as possible from fighting games.
If you had 100% control over Injustice 2, for example, what characters and/or moves would you remove or change?

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
A zoner walking back and shooting projectiles will almost certainly get cornered by someone walking forward and blocking the projectiles. However if these projectiles are hitting you, it is 100% your fault.

In MK11 there won’t even be a meter deficit between the zoner and the aggressor. Skarlet’s and Baraka’s projectiles have already been nerfed and the game isn’t even out yet, and the rushdown and footsies god himself- Mr. Cage looks like he has a pretty damn good projectile on top of what looks like a plethora of amazing strings. I think y’all will be alright

Skedar70

Noob
If you had 100% control over Injustice 2, for example, what characters and/or moves would you remove or change?
Geeez thats a hard question. I think in general I would make projectiles not build meter at all. This would discourage walk back and constantly shooting projectiles to get a meter advantage. This would also not force the zoned character to get in too quickly. The only advantage a zoner would get would be from landing hits or chip.

I would buff the weaker characters Raph, Donnie and Deadshot (who was completely erased from the game because he was a broken zoner who completely damaged the image of the game).

Mk11 might fall into the same issue since now the meter is timed instead of built. However a zoner can walk back just to wait until his meter replenishes.

Blizer

Cheap Kollector Rip Off
honestly, with the new meter, we will see how zoning plays out

Because of variations, characters should have anti zoning moves and builds

Jade looks like her mk9 self, which is pretty much an anti zone, who also can keep people to a mid range, and punish with the amount of moves (Tele, Shadow kick, Rang, and Glow) people who try to zone or spam

stress test is this weekend, so people in the U.S can get a taste of the game, and we can hear others thoughts on the game state

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Mk11 might fall into the same issue since now the meter is timed instead of built. However a zoner can walk back just to wait until his meter replenishes.
I think part of it will depend on how dangerous getting put in the corner will be, and how strong of defensive tools the zoner ends up having. just a random thought, right off the dome, It'd be interesting if they tied zoning tools to the defensive meter instead of offense meter. That way the zoner can keep walking back and waiting for their recharge, but if they're using their meter to keep zoning they'll have less access to defensive tools, and could risk getting heavily opened up with no escape.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Geeez thats a hard question. I think in general I would make projectiles not build meter at all. This would discourage walk back and constantly shooting projectiles to get a meter advantage. This would also not force the zoned character to get in too quickly. The only advantage a zoner would get would be from landing hits or chip.

I would buff the weaker characters Raph, Donnie and Deadshot (who was completely erased from the game because he was a broken zoner who completely damaged the image of the game).

I think the meter is good for offense though. Think about Bane working to get in and getting no meter, what if he was building bar while working his way in and Dr. Fate didn’t build bar fast as shit for MB orbs and could only have 2 bars stored maximum?

Skedar70

Noob
I think the meter is good for offense though. Think about Bane working to get in and getting no meter, what if he was building bar while working his way in and Dr. Fate didn’t build bar fast as shit for MB orbs and could only have 2 bars stored maximum?
Yeah we will have to see how it works in mk11.

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
Just smashed my pad after fighting good Kitana against my shitty Buzzsaw, guy kept on zoning and spacing and my fucked up wifi messed my inputs. Fucking hate this shit already

666 I HazeOner

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hahaha, people saying that Kabals zoning was hard to do, rofl. Tapping up/back,up/back+1, really?

There is no honour in fighting games, you scrubs better learn this. Especially when there is money on the line - respect your opponent irl, but once the match starts every strat should abused if they are viable at that moment.
A hard lesson you learned in the arcades back in the day.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Vanilla Deadshot was broken because he had the zoning PLUS a 50/50. His problem was once you worked your way in you were rewarded by being up close to a character with a 50/50 and a safe wake up. If they woulda made F2 hit mid and made his wake up unsafe, and maybe reduced meter build on straight shot, Deadshot woulda been okay. I do think a lot of people just sucked at fighting him though, I rarely saw anyone take the free dash after blocking a trick shot and would panic pash MB roll then send me hate mail (lol). I’m not saying he wasn’t a problem, character was busted, they just took the easy and lazy route balancing him.

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
The thing is the zoning was easy to get around though. There were only very specific matchups that zoning could be used as the primary strategy to actually win a match.

Like Sub-Zero vs Jax or Cage, maybe a few others.
Well if it was the only strategy you had to use as that character against every character wouldn’t that be unbalanced? It seems for people to think zoning is a good strategy it needs to be working on every character all of the time. Well that would make it a good strategy, but it would make it unbalanced. It can be a good strategy without it being the sole thing to rely on.

Like 50/50 can be a good strategy. But if you rely solely on that if you happen to guess wrong more than right you get punished and lose. Which is why as a 50/50 character you may also have to rely on zoning, or spacing etc.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Well if it was the only strategy you had to use as that character against every character wouldn’t that be unbalanced? It seems for people to think zoning is a good strategy it needs to be working on every character all of the time. Well that would make it a good strategy, but it would make it unbalanced. It can be a good strategy without it being the sole thing to rely on.

Like 50/50 can be a good strategy. But if you rely solely on that if you happen to guess wrong more than right you get punished and lose. Which is why as a 50/50 character you may also have to rely on zoning, or spacing etc.
I’m arguing that 50/50s only IS a viable way to win in MKX, therefore being unbalanced compared to the weak zoning. Sub-Zero isn’t even a top tier character but if I hit you once you’re in the corner with a HKD then I’m going to do a safe 33/33/33 from behind my ice klone and kill you in maybe 3 combos maximum

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
I’m arguing that 50/50s only IS a viable way to win in MKX, therefore being unbalanced compared to the weak zoning. Sub-Zero isn’t even a top tier character but if I hit you once you’re in the corner with a HKD then I’m going to do a safe 33/33/33 from behind my ice klone and kill you in maybe 3 combos maximum
Agreed 50/50s were too good in MKX. But I zoning doesn’t need to be buffed from MKX, 50/50 s shouldbe nerfed, which they seem to be.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
My zoning brothers and sisters, I hear Baraka's projectile has already been normalized. Apparently, a slow and disadvantageous-on-block fireball, according to Tweedy, was overpowered for the "high level players" in attendance at the gameplay reveal. If NRS is normalizing mediocre zoning, one must wonder whether zoning has any chance to live in Mortal Kombat 11.

Dirtylova

YOLO FLYING GRAYSON BICH
@NRS MONKEYS
@16RIG .. Do not think cause you have a pink wig and walk with a twitch I do not recognize you or remember you rigged brackets in Your favor back in the day..

Anyways, leave BARAKA the fuck alone. How about start your nerf raping after the beta. Or see how the full roster deals with him first.

Mini rant over :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: