What's new

The World Has No More Room For Monsters: Swamp Thing General Discussion

LMAO stfu, seriously. Nothing at all has changed for the character frame wise, period. Do you know what that means? NOTHING HAS CHANGED. Any one with any since of logic can understand how fundamentally flawed the character has been and now will continue to be. The new trait recovery buff is hardly useful outside of the corner and even then you have to sacrifice significant damage to get it out. Midscreen it can not be summoned between fast projectiles. Characters like Deadshot can lock him down effortlessly still with zoning spam. He literally has no answer.

Now watch

Going up in the ranks for sure.

Just because he can't get his trait out against deadshot spam doesn't mean nothing has changed...
Hes not the only character in the game.

And no deadshot player is going to be doing nothing but spamming bf1 all game, cause that opens him up to our j2 when we get to midrange.

There will be times where you can get the trait out even against deadshot. After a knockdown, when you get close enough for him to be weary of a jump in, ect. But he will still be a bad matchup for swampy.

I'm all for saying swampy is ass. HELL, I've been saying it since DAY 1. Put the patch just came out and a lot of characters got changed. Give it a week before you starting crying foul.

Percimon

Sky above, Voice within
All they had to do was:
1) give s2 adequate framedata (30 fr short OH - wtf is this, srsly);
2) make f223 links more consistent and working on every character;
3) make MBdb3 faster;
4) fix df1 whiffs;
5) make Abigail's Garden faster and stay on hit.

What we got: Abigail's Garden is now faster. Fook yeah :|

SuppaSapien3

Chipotle and Olive Garden are NOT authentic
Don't know how useful it is,or even whether this was discussed already, but due to the faster trait timing, swamp thing can now get his trait out safely spacing B23, B232, and F23. Tested on Robin's 9 frame sword dance reversal.

Trait mb roll is pimp. opens opponents up to his long rang d3 chip damage plus AG dot. adds up to quite a bit of damage. plus it stays active for f2,1. if it connects opponent is smack dab in middle of garden

Ohgrr

Noob
So is B232 BF3 MB dash D24 D2BF3 the best setup for garden so far?

340ish damage/wakeup on garden - is anyone having success with anything else?

masuhdunkillyall

Aht Aht Aht!
Yeah I'm done putting in work with this char only to get hardly anything in return. It's so fun to win with him, but when I do I know it's almost always due to lack of MU knowledge on my opponents part or just pure outplaying on my part (which is hard to come by online).

I'll be back when they actually figure out what the fuck they want to do with this character. It's been a not-so-fun ride since day 1. Keep fighting the good fight and grinding the green, guys and gals.

Forgive me if any of the following is old news.
Also, forgive me for the damage posted as it was not in competitive mode when I did it. I'll edit the actual damage vs Batman as soon as I can.

-J1 is a great option to start the round with.

...As far as I can tell, it's beat out every other air-to-air jump normal my opponent has done to begin the round. You can also follow up as well:

a) Basic follow up that I think hits a lot of the time is just a DF22 or DF23 as soon as you land. Safe and reliable.
b) If you land slightly before the opponent, you can follow up with: 11 BF3 MB 11 DF1

In situations where the opponent doesn't jump in, J1 has potential to crossup at the start if they crouch block. I don't think block stun is that long, so you can easily land, D1 for a low to get the meter bonus or, if they block the D1, tick DF2.

-The opponent doesn't have to be standing in AG to take damage. They just have to pass through it.

...From full screen away: Far DF1 MB does 413.89 vs Batman.
...Standing in AG: Far DF1 MB does 430 points of damage vs Batman since they swing through AG twice.

So, I guess AG isn't completely useless even if opponent isn't near it. Though, I probably just cancel it that try and get an extra 17 points of damage.

-OKish midscreen AG set ups:

...F23 BF3 MB D24 Dash MB. This is my main set up against most opponents. It completely covers the screen so opponent can't walk back out of it. I'll have to test more wake up options, but vs Batman wake-up slide kick, it's easily blocked and punished while keeping opponent in AG. With this set-up, Batman will slide kick toward you (through the garden). Damage for set-up: 312

...F23 BF3 MB F23 BF3, 4, then:
a) If they don't have a forward moving wake up option like the slide kick, Dash MB to cross up.
b) If they do have a forward moving wake up, Dash MB cross up will force them to slide in the opposite direction and out of AG. Instead, block the wake up and allow it to push you back, extending the garden. Then punish.
c) Against opponents with bad wake up options or those that don't use wake-up, you can follow up with:
...D3 [1 hit] xx DB MB J2 land D2 (up) DF1. 3 meters, but it does a full life bar vs Batman at 450, reset, 610 damage.
...D3 [1 hit blocked] xx (close) DF1 MB for 450 + 430 damage.

...B232 DB MB J2 (land) F23 BF3 4 D3 [1 hit] xx DB MB Dash DF22 into AG. Full meter reset combo that forces opponent to start next round in AG for an extra 32-40 points of damage. If you were backed into corner, you switch sides with opponent.

-Corner set-up:

...F23 BF3 MB D24 D1 xx (up) DF1/DF1 MB. 497-545 Damage. The DF1 throw pushes ST back, extending AG and keeping a good distance away so most wake-ups are safe against. Opponent can't move back and takes damage from AG. Getting another DF1 MB throw while AG is still active does almost a full bar of total damage.

The above set up is great if opponent is already down some life and the set-up finishes off their life bar. AG last a while and opponent is forced to start next round in corner, trapped in AG, allowing you some decent options to start the round.

Random: I love players that feel the need to turn on hidden selection after I've already chosen my stock Swamp Thing and I'm just waiting there. Even better when they don't put on competitive mode either. Great job beating my ST with your decked out level 20 Red Hood and your zoning game.

Last edited:
Decent stuff yo, i think this is probably the best way to put the garden out there. Gotta be willing to give up some damage for a neutral advantage.

And I agree, anyone that uses hidden cursor gets the biggest eye roll from me. Like a 5% chance for me to spam brother eye going "SWA-SWA-SWA-SWA-SWAMP THING" while they pick.