What's new

The World Has No More Room For Monsters: Swamp Thing General Discussion

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
some oki stuff with mb roll and db2:

after db2,2 midscreen if you mb roll and opponent tried to wakeup not wanting to take your pressure you are behind them on the 1st wakeup window so u can make a character with a wakeup who also has special moves with reverse inputs (example fate wakeup db2 but he also has a df2 health orb) get the wrong special on easily blow it up for full combo, if opponent tried to backdash in this situation he would just forward dash into you.
if they have no reverse inputs special they just get nothing obviously

also after d2,3 in corner if you mb roll you can are infront and invincible when the wakeup window is, this is really handy to punish annoying to punish/stuff wakeup moves like darkseids mb knee, however you can be punished doing this in recovery frames if opponent doesnt wakeup

So seeing that it is pretty much universally agreed that swamp thing's trait is one of the worst I started thinking about what they could change. I think a potentially very interesting change would be to have it take up the whole stage instead of spreading where you walk, but only deal damage on ducking opponents. It would be unique and actually give you a reason to not duck against swamp thing without saying oh just give him a 50/50. Thoughts?

The whole stage with one button seems kinda broken in the neutral haha.

I think a more balanced idea would be if he could jump/dash without cancelling the trait, that way it would continue to spread for the full duration.

Raynex

Intelligence + Speed + Power
The trait prevents dashes / jumps right? Does this mean characters can't use forward advancing wake-up moves too? It sucks that it has limited use anywhere but in the corner and off very specific setups

Rooks

Cold Azz Mulatto
The trait prevents dashes / jumps right? Does this mean characters can't use forward advancing wake-up moves too? It sucks that it has limited use anywhere but in the corner and off very specific setups
Hoping it's you not me, its been a long day, but how would trait be active on wake up???

EDIT: LMAO... Its me, I get the question now. It does not stop forward moving specials, only dashes/jumps.

Raynex

Should have clarified that I mean when trait is applied to the opponent lol

Oh Swampy. He's so fun to play and I can't stop picking him when I want to have a good time. His ,id-range play is dynamic and fun, his AA is servicable, and overall he is quite satisfying to pilot when things go your way. But in ranked it's often a struggle to beat even mediocre / scrubby players.. Then I switch to my IJ1 main Superman and I literally won't lose a match all night. God forbid I face someone who knows the Swampy match-up, then I really get bodied :')

RNLDRGN

RONALD ROGAN

Oh Swampy. He's so fun to play and I can't stop picking him when I want to have a good time. His ,id-range play is dynamic and fun, his AA is servicable, and overall he is quite satisfying to pilot when things go your way. But in ranked it's often a struggle to beat even mediocre / scrubby players.. Then I switch to my IJ1 main Superman and I literally won't lose a match all night. God forbid I face someone who knows the Swampy match-up, then I really get bodied :')
I agree man. He's so much fun but god if someone knows the runaway game or is playing a mobile character they can literally autopilot and win 75% of the time. He requires so much planning and intentional moves though that it's very satisfying to destroy someone with him.

BUT. My 2 week old Aquaman is a 10x better character and I win twice as often with him. ugh.

Rooks

Cold Azz Mulatto

nah it was def me. The scond time I read it, it made sense.

I'll do you both one better. I get more wins with Capt. Cold than Swamp... well at least both my characters are likely to see buffs.

Raynex

Trading stories about how our poo secondaries are better than our practiced fave character. Good times

Last night I actually found some pretty cool optimizations I haven't seen before, and some new mixups. I'll post tonight when I get home!

Last edited:

DeftMonk

Noob
So dunno if this is already widely known but figured I'd mention as it seemed like a good setup. I was playing some sets vs a swampy named uh-may-zing on PS4 and he was ending combos in the corner with db2?(aa shoulder tree thing) mb, b2x trait back dash. End result is I wakeup he's a back dash away and I'm in the corner in Abigail's garden. Seemed pretty good.

Raynex

So dunno if this is already widely known but figured I'd mention as it seemed like a good setup. I was playing some sets vs a swampy named uh-may-zing on PS4 and he was ending combos in the corner with db2?(aa shoulder tree thing) mb, b2x trait back dash. End result is I wakeup he's a back dash away and I'm in the corner in Abigail's garden. Seemed pretty good.
Yep, this is the standard 'best way' to use trait so far as we know. It's the only trait setup he has that is really worth learning at this point. I've never thought to backdash there before, I typically just go for a mix of some sort, so that's cool. The combo theory for it is pretty simple:

In corner;
-any grounded starter xx MB tree, D2, B2 xx trait
-F233, D2 xx MB tree, B2 xx trait
-B223, D2 xx MB tree, B2 xx trait

This leaves the trait partially behind them and their life starts ticking away instantly. They can't jump or dash, so doing MB F3 here is strong, it beats everything except blocking and the tick damage means the combo will deal like 50% or more.

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
Anyone find any hidden buffs for swamp thing in the patch? Cold got a better MB ice wall. I'm hoping the thang got something?

Raynex

Anyone find any hidden buffs for swamp thing in the patch? Cold got a better MB ice wall. I'm hoping the thang got something?
I think i found one. MB Tree is +6 on block now. Pretty sure it was just slightly negative / safe before, not plus 0_0

Raynex

Ignore me then

That's pretty sick. At close range that means on block you can frame trap straight into D2 xx tick throw, just like b223

I think that most people who say his overhead is useless hasn't actually tried to make it work in game, because it's actually pretty good. The animation compared to a f3 makes it harder to react to. The problem is just setting it up but you have clone for that and if your opponent is conditioned to play defensive, you can meaty off of green thumb 2. Also with some practice you can block confirm into the command throw which comes after really fast after the sand. Alone, this move is trash compared to other character's overheads but I've realized now its meant to be played off of the rest of his kit.

Don't know if this is the best set up for his trait midscreen, but I've been doing.

F23 xx BF2 MB, D2 xx DB3, D3 [1 hit] xx Trait. Then:

...Walk forward to bait wake up, block. Vs Batman and SubZero, their slide pushes Swamp back, extending the garden. Punish with DF2, 1 to keep them in the garden.

...[Opponent blocks] F23 xx DB2 MB, D2 xx DF2, 2 into garden

...[Opponent hit] F23 xx BF2 MB, Walk forward, D2 xx DB3, DF2, 2 into garden

...Walk back > Overhead. F2, DF2, 2 into garden

...D3 [1 hit] xx DB3, F23 (blocked) xx DB2 MB, D2 xx DF2, 2 into garden or F23 (hit) xx BF3 MB, walk forward, D2 xx DB3, DF2, 2 into garden

These might not be 100% safe, but then again, I don't always play against the best players online. Feel free to tear my set-up apart if it's that bad.