What's new

The World Has No More Room For Monsters: Swamp Thing General Discussion

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
???? After its buff it was his best anti air and led to 40%.
I assume we're talking about the meter burn version then. Could have just been me, but if I ever tried to use the normal version it got stuffed just about every time.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
If you do a crossup on the left corner of Khandaq you can go right into the interactable which is unblockable. The only options out of it for a blocking opponent are backdash and super from what I can tell.

I don't know how you would go about setting this up but if you were to lay trait out you can make that crossup a guaranteed 130ish damage unless they have Super.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
Ok here is a neat ditty, not "tech" per say but eh

d3 the sweep can't be rolled, you can sweep at max distance, wait a split second, do close vinegrab. guaranteed to get everyone the first time cause who the hell would delay wakeup or backdash after a max range sweep, the first time around anyway.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter

eh made a quick thing, it has all banes stuff too(its a guide for newbies I made) but its all the block throw setups for swampy. skip to about the middle.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?

eh made a quick thing, it has all banes stuff too(its a guide for newbies I made) but its all the block throw setups for swampy. skip to about the middle.
you have to be careful because the grab is not quick enough in most matchups, if the person knows what they are doing they will be able to poke you out of all grabs.

D1 is already -6 on block and the cancel advantage still leaves a huge gap.

All tick grabs suffer from the fact that if you land the string you can't combo with the grab(even d2 at times)... leaving you at a rediculous amount of negative frames (comapred to bane who can at least cover his track with another armored attack).

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
you have to be careful because the grab is not quick enough in most matchups, if the person knows what they are doing they will be able to poke you out of all grabs.

D1 is already -6 on block and the cancel advantage still leaves a huge gap.

All tick grabs suffer from the fact that if you land the string you can't combo with the grab(even d2 at times)... leaving you at a rediculous amount of negative frames (comapred to bane who can at least cover his track with another armored attack).
If you can reaction jab him out of d1 cancel into comand grab, congrats on your best in world reaction time. Not too worried about that.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
If you can reaction jab him out of d1 cancel into comand grab, congrats on your best in world reaction time. Not too worried about that.
Its not a reaction though, a d1 will come your way anyway, whats to fear? getting hit by a 5% tree log? (which you can still get hit out of)

Rooks

Cold Azz Mulatto
I think he's implying that once people know the MU they will mash 6f button on all blocked d1's, which still seems unlikely( at a non professional level) but isn't insane to expect. At least that's what I'm guessing.

Trauma_and_Pain

Filthy Casual
And does anyone feel like NRS designed Swamp Thing to be almost a purely grounded character? Outside of combos, I feel like he just doesn't get as much of out his jumping attacks as a lot of the rest of the cast and I'd just as rather not jump and use f223 for reliable pressure.
I think you're a lot more predictable if you never jump with Swampy, or anyone else. He does have crossups with JI1, even if they aren't the best. And there's some footsie play around the opponent guessing between his long-range threats, advancing normals, and a jump-in. JI2 has great range.

Are there really any invincible wake-ups? Because from me testing my set-up I can't find a single one :/
Yeah. I believe every single character has at least one invincible wakeup. But most don't have very much invincibility. You have to time it just right and regardless there are still things that can beat most of them out. I haven't even tested but iirc Swampy's is BF3. Definitely need to confirm that though.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
Did up a tips/tricks thing for swampers

if ya already stuck with him so long probably nothing you don't already know. However if you are peeking into the character forum and are new, probably stuff you don't necessarily know!

Altsa

after df2,2 if u dash up d2~df2 will always connect on hit midscreen :)
I was testing this today and like you said, meaty d2~df2 always connects. Midscreen it works after df2,2 , db2, d2 ,b2323 and b223. Sadly it does not seem to work after f23~db1.

Funny thing is that if you misstime your d2 and the grab whiffs on hit, you actually have time to dash and do it again.

Last edited:
I know a lot of the focus for this thread is in game but Amazon Prime has a good sale going *most books 50% off* for Saga of the Swamp Thing books that kicked off the first few pages, if anyone is interested.

I thought of a few things I'd like to see added/changed to help swamp thing. I'd love to get everyone's opinion on whether or not this if this is asking for too much.

-Trait is now special cancelable.

-DB1 in trait now spreads Abigail's Garden along with it. (If this seems like to much. Making it cost 1 bar of meter to do so could possibly help balance it.)

-DB3 meterburned now on hit holds the opponent in place to continue combo.

-D1 is now 7 frames.

Again, these are just a few things I thought of that could be interesting improvements to swamp thing. These buffs don't seem broken to me tbh. But I'd love to here everyone's opinion even if you disagree.

Last edited:

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
I thought of a few things I'd like to see added/changed to help swamp thing. I'd love to get everyone's opinion on whether or not this if this is asking for too much.

-Trait is now special cancelable.

-DB1 in trait now spreads Abigail's Garden along with it. (If this seems like to much. Making it cost 1 bar of meter to do so could possibly help balance it.)

-DB3 meterburned now on hit holds the opponent in place to continue combo.

-D1 is now 7 frames.

Again, these are just a few things I thought of that could be interesting improvements to swamp thing. These buffs don't seem broken to me tbh. But I'd love to here everyone's opinion even if you disagree.
d1 already 7 frames man :)

dunno about mb db3 giving a combo, even if it held them there longer on a trade or swampy is immune to projectiles after the clone grabs you he'd be set

with all the trait stuff u mentioned, special cancelable trait be cool but id prefer if the garden healed swampy when u stood in it, give the trait more utility

Swampthing can full combo punish supermans air laser from 70% of screen or closer.

Block, clone, f23, clone, 11 vine.

So yeah, that's something.
height dependent on where supes does his lasers

d1 already 7 frames man :)

dunno about mb db3 giving a combo, even if it held them there longer on a trade or swampy is immune to projectiles after the clone grabs you he'd be set

with all the trait stuff u mentioned, special cancelable trait be cool but id prefer if the garden healed swampy when u stood in it, give the trait more utility

height dependent on where supes does his lasers
Wow, I honestly thought his D1 was 8 frames. Weird.

DB3 meterburned holding the opponent in place to start a combo would be a great anti zoning tool IMHO. For example, trading with deadshot full screen would allow you to get a full screen vine grab. Making the trade in your favor (at least theoretically) . It would also open the door to adding adding B3/F3 into combos.

I like the idea of trait healing swamp while he's in it. But as of right now? Setting up trait it far too cumbersome mid-screen. Being able to do something like, [Starter], Trait, DB1 meterburned sounds a lot more useful to me. I dunno.