What's new

The sad state of UMK3, and the re-emergence of MK2

Been repeating myself in these threads for years now.

If you can at least try the game with throwing disabled to see how much that fixes karajabs i would be most appreciative. I'm not saying the game is better without them, im just saying at it's current state it's better without it..

Remember why we banned throws in the arcade days to begin with. Most of us saw the game breaking down into this back then. Too much priority (same as in MK Deception).

Later.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Been repeating myself in these threads for years now.

If you can at least try the game with throwing disabled to see how much that fixes karajabs i would be most appreciative. I'm not saying the game is better without them, im just saying at it's current state it's better without it..

Remember why we banned throws in the arcade days to begin with. Most of us saw the game breaking down into this back then. Too much priority (same as in MK Deception).

Later.
I don't see how that solves anything. Throws don't even matter in UMK3. You don't run jab in hopes that you get a throw, you run jab for pressure and chip damage. If you happen to get a throw that's a bonus, but in high level matches the only time you will really see a throw is on empty cross-ups. Avoiding throws in UMK3 are so easy, banning them would go unnoticed at high levels honestly.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Whats they klosest to arcade home port? n64?
Seems so. I've only ever played the Dreamcast version (MK Gold) for about an hour and I thought "meh, back to Soul Calibur.." MK4 on a whole is honestly a total grey area for me.

Sure bout that? I know original line phats did and later ones didn't.
What about slims?

All the best,
RAZER
You're thinking of PS2 games, trust me, they ALL play PS1 discs straight out of the box, albeit some emulation issues with some games. :)

MKK hanzo

I don't see how that solves anything. Throws don't even matter in UMK3. You don't run jab in hopes that you get a throw, you run jab for pressure and chip damage. If you happen to get a throw that's a bonus, but in high level matches the only time you will really see a throw is on empty cross-ups. Avoiding throws in UMK3 are so easy, banning them would go unnoticed at high levels honestly.
No. It actually makes that worse. You can run freely holding foward without fear of being counter throw. But specials would be a bit useful now that you cant throw them. We played umk3 without throws from 1999 to almost end of 2000. The tiers change a lot.

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
No. It actually makes that worse. You can run freely holding foward without fear of being counter throw. But specials would be a bit useful now that you cant throw them. We played umk3 without throws from 1999 to almost end of 2000. The tiers change a lot.
Oh that's true about not having to hold back. Yeah, it would be a lot worse if you didn't have to worry about holding back.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Did it not all stem from trying to get a throw until everyone realized the bigger picture? Just curious..

I've been watching these streams for a while now and AC seems pretty legit to me, i dont know that i'd go so far as to say that he's not on someone elses level. if you say he lost simply because he is NOT as good of a kara jabber as REO then that only goes back to the point of kara jabbing being ridiculous because being the best at attacking while blocking sound absolutely dumb and I for the life of me cant even wrap my mind around why anyone would want to fight someone who can attack and block at the same time.

aj1701

Noob
The problem I have is two-fold:

1. Only the Kara-Jabbers think UMK3 is fun anymore... and there's like what, 8 of you worldwide?

2. I respect the "playing to win" mindset so I would never stop someone from doing them...
Don't forget #3

3. Nobody on stream wants to watch 2 KJs go at it. Its not fun to watch.

Eternal

Noob
That tactic single-handedly ruined UMK3 for a lot of players, including you and myself.
How is the game ruined when only "8 people" use gjs.. Do you guys only play the game at tournaments? It seems like most of you dislike GJs, so why not just play fellow GJ haters when playing casuals.. Sure GJbers will be at tournaments and I dont know what to say about that but how much of your umk3 time is spent at them..

As for me I like GJs and I use them.. As mkk hanzo said, its like a parry.. The reason I like Gjs is because of that... In real life if you throw out a punch/jab to bait out a punch from the opponent then in a split second you can parry his attach with your opposite hand .. In umk3 gj is kinda the same thing...It may be broken yes I agree but its fun and adds depth to the game imo...

Panque

Random foreign guy
How is the game ruined when only "8 people" use gjs.. Do you guys only play the game at tournaments? It seems like most of you dislike GJs, so why not just play fellow GJ haters when playing casuals.. Sure GJbers will be at tournaments and I dont know what to say about that but how much of your umk3 time is spent at them..

As for me I like GJs and I use them.. As mkk hanzo said, its like a parry.. The reason I like Gjs is because of that... In real life if you throw out a punch/jab to bait out a punch from the opponent then in a split second you can parry his attach with your opposite hand .. In umk3 gj is kinda the same thing...It may be broken yes I agree but its fun and adds depth to the game imo...
Might make it the most deep game in the world, but it's still a pain in the ass to watch it.

AC1984

Kaballin!

Dumbest fucking post ever...

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
.It may be broken yes I agree but its fun and adds depth to the game imo...
It definitely does add depth.

Take a look at this vid.

That's me vs Marv, arguably the best kara/glitch jabber that ever lived, lol. This was before I really started getting adept with the glitch jabs mind you. And despite the mistakes, I did pretty good. And like I said, this was before I knew how to defend against them properly and utilize them myself.

I mean, it might sound arrogant, but I find those matches above entertaining, and the comments are all positive. And to reiterate, this is even before I really knew how to stop Marv's GJabbing roboticness.

If two people are just GJabbing the whole match, of course that's going to be boring. I just don't see that ever happening unless the two players are intentionally trying to make the game look bad by standing there HPing. Or of course one player doesn't know how to defend or beat them. I've had not one single match with me and Arion where we just sat there GJabbing the air for a long period of time. Once someone starts doing it, there's so many options and mindgames that both players can play at that point. Not to mention the many ways to stop it.

AC1984

Kaballin!
I just have one question ...

Why did you post that video exactly? What's the purpose? I'm kinda lost...

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I just have one question ...

Why did you post that video exactly? What's the purpose? I'm kinda lost...
To show that even before I knew exactly how to glitch jab properly or defend against them vs someone who's an expert at them, the game doesn't have to look boring. And even though I was average with the Jabs at that time, I wasn't being dominated by Marv with Kabal using them. The reason it was boring with REO is because he could ONLY use the Jabs. He literally couldn't do anything else with Noob because that's all Noob has (jabs and pop-ups/auto combos).

EDIT: Also, you guys keep saying the game is in a bad state because REO won with Noob. But why can it not be REO just was better that day and won with a character with no specials? It seems you want to blame the game when really you guys just need to level up. That sounds harsh and what not but I see it as REO outplayed everyone, and instead of giving him props, you're calling the game broken. And it's not just that Noob can only jab and combo, Noob has some distinct advantages. Being able to walk faster than any character is huge in UMK3, it's why I main Human Smoke. And having 50% more health?? Also not being able to be seen on some stages is a HUGE advantage... just saying.