What's new

The sad state of UMK3, and the re-emergence of MK2

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
Why is Noob broken? He has no specials and gets owned by zoning. All he has are block jabs and faster walking speed than Human Smoke.
Kabal = broken. Noob beating Kabal at the highest level = broken also. How did it happen? Through broken tactics....he doesn't even fit the style of the game. What character is anything like him? How can he possibly fit in? No one else has 150% health and DOUBLE walking speed. However some characters DO have specials so useless they might as well not even EXIST.....

....especially w/ glitch/kara jabbing

Plus you can't even SEE him on some stages. How could he possibly be considered a legit character? Let's not forget this is a hack version we are talking about and this is ANOTHER thing that wasn't meant to be intricated into UMK3 gameplay. He is not available in any other version of UMK3 except for the one that was hacked, so technically he shouldn't exist.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
My stream maintained a fairly steady connection during UMK3. The numbers never went over 60 for UMK3.

When MK2 came on, I never went UNDER 70, and I stayed at 80 for quite some time.
This is because the UMK3 people were there watching UMK3. When MK2 came on, the MK2 guys came in and the UMK3 guys stayed.

60+20 = 80 ^_^

Just sayin'!

I love me some Mk2 though.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Kabal = broken. Noob beating Kabal at the highest level = broken also. How did it happen? Through broken tactics....he doesn't even fit the style of the game. What character is anything like him? How can he possibly fit in? No one else has 150% health and DOUBLE walking speed. However some characters DO have specials so useless they might as well not even EXIST.....

....especially w/ glitch/kara jabbing

Plus you can't even SEE him on some stages. How could he possibly be considered a legit character? Let's not forget this is a hack version we are talking about and this is ANOTHER thing that wasn't meant to be intricated into UMK3 gameplay. He is not available in any other version of UMK3 except for the one that was hacked, so technically he shouldn't exist.
Noob is maybe 9th best in UMK3 JH. He is just.........new.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
This is because the UMK3 people were there watching UMK3. When MK2 came on, the MK2 guys came in and the UMK3 guys stayed.

60+20 = 80 ^_^

Just sayin'!

I love me some Mk2 though.
LOL he said MK2 only has 20 players world-WIDE and UMK3 were watching it cuz they were bored.

Noob is maybe 9th best in UMK3 JH. He is just.........new.
Bro, when u fight his bullshit at the highest level you will change your mind. If he is only 9th on the tier list, how did he beat Kabal, Simon's nonetheless? You saying REO is BETTER than Simon? I would say they are equal, which is why I deduced that Noob is broken after seeing how he dominated one of UMK3's best Kabals given 2 players of equal skill were playing.

REO

Undead
You can zone him all day using forceballs with Reptile, or by teleporting and constantly shooting fireballs with Ermac. And so what if he's hard to see on some stages? Robot Smoke is truly invisible 95% of the match.

Why is Noob broken? He has no specials and gets owned by zoning. All he has are block jabs and faster walking speed than Human Smoke.
I was just asking that to know. I don't even follow this game anymore so I don't know what's all the fuss about Noob being OP. I just read somewhere that he had more health and faster movement than everyone else so I was like "okay, that's pretty good. why is he even allowed in tournaments?" But I didn't know he got owned by zoning.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
You can zone him all day using forceballs with Reptile, or by teleporting and constantly shooting fireballs with Ermac. And so what if he's hard to see on some stages? Robot Smoke is truly invisible 95% of the match.
Dude,....you're missing the point....He shouldn't even EXIST.

And that's not true....Specials don't mean shit when u have double walking speed and kara/glitch jabs to approach someone.

hold on i been playing umk for 17 yrs now and didnt even know wtf kara jabs where till i read this shit. also reading what summoning wrote that there are kara jabs in mk2 also. so y go to mk2 which in my eyes is slow and boring to me because u guys dislike kara jabs in umk3????
Glitch jabs are in MK2, but without the run button they become much less useful. Doing glitch jabs while standing in place is not even close to comparable to rushdown glitch jabs in UMK3. I'll just chip a guy to death who wants to just sit there and glitch jab the air all day in MK2.

IMO, defending the ability to block while attacking is ridiculous. dont say the problem here was noob being allowed, the character has no specials at all. banning noob just means that you admit that specials dont matter that much and that the game is all jabs.

if actual character moves mattered more then the unibersal kara(glitch) jabs, then noob would be bottom.

NinjaGrinder

A living, Breathing Piece of Defecating Meat
I just saw the UMK3 GF and boys, you can't tell me REO won just because GJs... c'mon you can clearly see it, Simon's out of shape. I guess REO doesn't "train" UMK3 either, but, just look at the matches, LISTEN TO the narrators. I'm 100% sure Simon can do a lot better than that.

So you're saying REO can beat say, marvirrasta with noob saibot? yeah right

REO beat Simon 'cause Simon didn't gj and he missed some oppportunities, and he didn't aply proper pressure. What mistakes could possibly have REO made with such a character? he didn't jump, that's all he needed, rest of the match he was safe. But not because of GJs, KABAL was the one supposed to apply extreme pressure on Noob, not the other way around.

That matches prove nothing. But you can discourage all the americans you want with your words.

Noob
I just saw the UMK3 GF and boys, you can't tell me REO won just because GJs... c'mon you can clearly see it, Simon's out of shape. I guess REO doesn't "train" UMK3 either, but, just look at the matches, LISTEN TO the narrators. I'm 100% sure Simon can do a lot better than that.

REO beat Simon 'cause Simon didn't gj and he missed some oppportunities, and he didn't aply proper pressure. What mistakes could possibly have REO made with such a character? he didn't jump, that's all he needed, rest of the match he was safe. But not because of GJs, KABAL was the one supposed to apply extreme pressure on Noob, not the other way around.

That matches prove nothing. But you can discourage all the americans you want with your words.

Let me clear something up:

I am not on a crusade to ban kara jabs.
I am not on a crusade to change the way the game is played now.

What I am doing, is letting people know the current state of the game, and what they would be getting themselves into if they were to choose to play this game. Before buying into the hype of UMK3, people have the right to know that at the highest level this game breaks down to jabbing and spacing. I have archived proof of it.

Players deserve an honest and fair look at a game before choosing to play it. Now they have it.

Play whatever you want whatever way you want...I will NEVER argue against that.

For all of the guys here talking about getting into MK2, add me. I play MK1, MK2, and UMK3, but I focus on MK2.

PSN- MIKECALDWELL
XBL- XxRANK THIEFxX

Dark_Rob

Noob

REO and Simon were definitely nowhere near they're top level.(Probably because they think the game is trash.) But even if they were both in top shape it would have just been better jabbing from both of them. Both were mean karajabbers in they're prime. When Simon won WB UMK3 last year that was what he had primarily been working on leading up to it. Marvirrasta won NEC bulldozing CD in the corner with them the whole set.Im not saying that its not the right or wrong way to play the game, I could care less, I have no interest in UMK3 anymore. But it is boring as hell to watch. No one will ever create any hype with that snorefest of a game on a stream.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster

I think Rob and Phil summed it up. The point is, something needs to be done about this or the game will die completely. Look at what it's former most loyal of followers think of it now? It's like the game takes no talent to win anymore......gamers have gotten extremely lazy these days and just want to win as easy and cheaply as possible. The fun factor doesnt even matter to some people anymore. It's a disgrace, tbh.

See what playing to win has gotten us? FUCKED. That's what it's gotten us.

Dark_Rob

Noob
I think Rob and Phil summed it up. The point is, something needs to be done about this or the game will die completely. Look at what it's former most loyal of followers think of it now? It's like the game takes no talent to win anymore......gamers have gotten extremely lazy these days and just want to win as easy and cheaply as possible. The fun factor doesnt even matter to some people anymore. It's a disgrace, tbh.

See what playing to win has gotten us? FUCKED. That's what it's gotten us.
For the most part I agree with Playing to win. Ninjagrinder, Hanzo,ded,Juggs, all these guys are right in what they are saying. But what they're saying presupposes that the people they are talking to want to keep playing UMK3 competitively. Playing to win also tells us that when a game becomes retarted at high levels the way UMK3 does, go find a better game.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
I'm sorry, but since when are kara-jabs considered like a cheap tactic? I used to play this game at high level and every good player used kara-jabs back then. No one complained because it was just a smart thing to do.

To me someone complaining about kara jabs is like people complaining about Ryu spamming hadokens or the option-selects in sf4. In other words people who don't want to adapt to the combat system but still want to win.

Are you guys sure that kara-jabs are the real problem and not the fact that Noob has 50% more health and faster movement? Or Kabal/Smoke being a little too good for every other character?

Anyway, I agree that UMK3 tournaments are not too exiting to watch. Especially for 90% of people who don't even understand what's going on. Most of them just see people running and jabbing like they have no idea how to play fighting games. Very fun game to play though.
I might put some people on blast by saying this, but no, I honestly will say Kara Jabs aren't the problem. No offense to Simon, CD, or Shock, but they just aren't on the same level as REO when it comes to Kara Jabbing (I would think they would admit to this as well). Simon, albeit, is the closest. But he still doesn't want to take the to their fullest potential, this is why he lost to REO. I watched the tournament, Simon was getting frustrated. He would get the life lead and still rush. Kabal has a great keep away game ESPECIALLY against a character with zero specials. It just seemed like Simon wanted to get the matches over with.

To an extent it's true that all you need to win is Kara Jabs. It's true when your opponent either doesn't use them or isn't adept with them. I will go on record and say NO ONE will ever beat me EVER if they aren't kara/glitch jabbing. However, there's plenty of people that can beat me if they are.

I really do understand your position Phil. You've played and come to love a game that doesn't involved heavy kara jabbing. And this "new" (only really new in the tournament scene) way of playing UMK3 you don't like. It does take practice to master kara jabs. It takes a lot of practice. It takes even more to understand them completely and not only utilize them, but be able to defend against them. They really are easy to beat, and I'm going to make another challenge. No one can beat me if they're just kara jabbing. REO has tried that on me, and it just doesn't work once you know how to stop him from doing it. I'm not saying he can't beat me with Noob, Noob is really good since his walking speed is so fast and he has 50% more health + he has pop-ups. I'm using me as an example because I have lots of experience vs the jabs and I use them myself. I wouldn't even WANT to go back to a game without them, because once you use them at a high level vs someone else using them at a high level, man it's like nothing else.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
For the most part I agree with Playing to win. Ninjagrinder, Hanzo,ded,Juggs, all these guys are right in what they are saying. But what they saying presupposes that the people they are talking to want to keep playing UMK3 competitively. Playing to win also tells us that when a game becomes retarted at high levels the way UMK3 does, go find a better game.
Or we could just get NRS to fix it since they OWE it to us anyway. I'd rather not think about all the money I dumped into that company w/out even having a decent MK game in my collection to show for it. We have to stay on them about it until they get sick of hearing it and just do the UMK3HDR they apparently "scrapped cuz it wasn't worth it to them"

I kinda feel disrespected by that shit, tbh.....after supporting the franchise for 20 years

I will go on record and say NO ONE will ever beat me EVER if they aren't kara/glitch jabbing. However, there's plenty of people that can beat me if they are.
That's bullshit, I don't use them and I have beaten you several times. There are MANY other playerwho do use them and I beat them also.....but without cheating to get my wins.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
That's bullshit, I don't use them and I have beaten you several times. There are MANY other playerwho do use them and I beat them also.....but without cheating to get my wins.
You've beaten me online, Eric. I thought it was just assumed that that doesn't count, lol. I've lost to hundreds of people online in UMK3 that just JK'd me all day. You're a good player, but offline if you're not kara/glitch jabbing, you're not winning.

Dark_Rob

Noob
Or we could just get NRS to fix it since they OWE it to us anyway. I'd rather not think about all the money I dumped into that company w/out even having a decent MK game in my collection to show for it. We have to stay on them about it until they get sick of hearing it and just do the UMK3HDR they apparently "scrapped cuz it wasn't worth it to them"

I kinda feel disrespected by that shit, tbh.....after supporting the franchise for 20 years.
Sorry brother, that isn't gonna happen. NRS has said time and again they made UMK3 17 years ago. They aren't gonna make it again. They don't care about the maybe 100 people around the world who might still play that game seriously. The game is all but dead, except for those scattered groups of a handful of people who keep it alive. They gave an HD version of the game a try, realized it would cost way way way more than they wanted to spend on 20 year old games and we got MKAK instead. I expect that will be the last we ever see of these games from NRS.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
You've beaten me online, Eric. I thought it was just assumed that that doesn't count, lol. I've lost to hundreds of people online in UMK3 that just JK'd me all day. You're a good player, but offline if you're not kara/glitch jabbing, you're not winning.
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree cuz I beat alot of people offline who use it including Simon, Arion, Shock, etc. Thanks for saying i'm good though, I prefer to label myself "average" or slightly above. LOL It's easier on your pride when u lose that way :)