What's new

The Problem With Deadshot

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Haha yea I think Yoshimitsu (of all people) was the only other 5-5 for Jin. Then you had Steve and Nina in a tier of their own right behind Jin, with Lee almost there. Jin beat like 5-6 characters 8-2, the rest 7-3, and a few 6-4 LOLOL!!! Through all of that you didn't hear complaining even close to this, and it was hype when you beat a Jin or a Steve. First hand my most memorable fighting game moment ever was beating Justin Wong's Jin in tournament at ChinaTown Fair and yelling at him to go back to Marvel vs Capcom 2 lol. Some epic pop offs.

In 2017 though, these young boys don't relate, no grinding required. Ya gotta shed them tears to get what you want. -.-
They will pick lord akumer to get back in the game... shit we're derailing this thread hard, lets continue this in the Tekken forum.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
When I've played solid players, the jump and whiff punish for full combo is too real to the point where I was nervous to WU. Ducky punished almost every one of my WUs.That doesn't sound as godlike as some make it out to be. Since it's a short forward lunge you can also full combo punish with S1 if you aren't directly on top of him when the invincibility frames are gone. With the meaty's though I still haven't figured that out on who is punishable how, but it seems like almost all WUs are full punishable one way or another with very few exceptions, Deadshot not being the exception.
That sounds like the obvious answers and dodging the wakeup was a thing in SF4 as well. My point being that you brought up SF but even SF did away with safe+ invincibility. Personally, I don't like moves to have both of those traits. Still curious about the meaty situation and will def keep an eye out on that.

Nah that's not what I meant. Obviously T4 Jin was better than anyone this community has ever seen, by far actually.

My point was that even with that broken (actual broken) of a character there was half of the complaints compared to the competitive characters of the current era. Unlike now, then you played the game you were given. You had games so unbalanced that it would be laughable today, without patches, and a much less whiny community. Patching has removed some of the competitive spirit and replaced it with salt water. Patches should be used for T4 Jin level characters, not just characters that annoy someone.
I think a lot of that has to do with the growing scene, it's a little more annoying for community members that are spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars to travel and compete(for literally tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of dollars) to deal with busted shit than it was for people playing competitively at an arcade for pride/props.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
NO MORE TEKKEN

Nah it's cool
Carry on (honestly the subject of balance and what's allowable in a FG us not exclusive to any one game).

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
not to get too sidetracked, but ryu was definitely not top 1, but he was also well above upper mid tier. He was very arguably a top 5 character.that being said he did receive way too many nerfs because people were dumb.
He was called a top character by the Japanese at one point. I'm not stating it as fact, just reflecting on what some in the community thought. I feel as the game evolved he was arguably an upper mid or bottom of the top characters but only due to some of the bullshit he had.

Deathstroke had this problem as well. These guys need to stop rewarding players for spamming. I've watched that sonic pro player and he's supposed to be good but all I've seen him do is spam.

I have rushdown in my name and I'm in category 2. Although I'd add an extra pick a better character or play a different game.
I was going to put #3 cant beat em mightest well join em. Thats for people like myself who have a pocket deadshot and are afraid to voice negative or positive feedback on him.

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
Nah that's not what I meant. Obviously T4 Jin was better than anyone this community has ever seen, by far actually.

My point was that even with that broken (actual broken) of a character there was half of the complaints compared to the competitive characters of the current era. Unlike now, then you played the game you were given. You had games so unbalanced that it would be laughable today, without patches, and a much less whiny community. Patching has removed some of the competitive spirit and replaced it with salt water. Patches should be used for T4 Jin level characters, not just characters that annoy someone.
You get it.

That's why I said Tekken 4 Jin. People need to understand what truly... I mean...

I still have mixed feelings to this day about Jin. And it's may 2017.

Depth.

You can't see it yet. Right now we have a surface level view of this game. This includes all players regardless of skill. Deadshot is definitely a powerful character at this point in the game. His tools are simple to understand and effective right now.

Consider that we dont know how far the tools that this character has will get him in a longer run.

This is simply an effective character.
Give it time.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
So Cossner playing Grr offline on REO's stream (who just beat Deadshot Grr's as I type this) is "getting murked by Deadshot in casuals" by someone who "doesn't even main Deadshot" when that's who Grr has been playing and played him at the tournament (losing to Destroyer)? lol. At this point yall gonna say Will Smith picked up INJ2 and started bodying people.
Oh it's Cossner on Arrow? Regardless man, character has issues. Grr is a good player, no discredit to him however.

You know, why can't Deadshot mains just be like "Yeah character is a little bit fucked up, but I still want to play him." That'd be refreshing as hell. I mean it's not like they can't all not know where people are coming from, even if they disagree.
Just to be clear, I started beating him like 5 games in and he hasn't won a game against me with deadshot since yesterday. It's hard but it's definitely not as bad as people say, all it takes is a little practice.

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
Just to be clear, I started beating him like 5 games in and he hasn't won a game against me with deadshot since yesterday. It's hard but it's definitely not as bad as people say, all it takes is a little practice.
It's hard but it's definitely not as bad as people say, all it takes is a little practice.
not as bad as people say, all it takes is a little practice.
all it takes is a little practice.
:eek:

BookBurning

Voidwards
Yeah you definitely seemed to be figuring him out towards the later part of me watching the stream.

Branden Delio

PSN: C9-Keiji
How?
I said her f3 is gdlk. I agreed she has good walkspeed. I talked about her counter zoning. I talked about how good her trait is. I even said she's a bomb ass character and I love using her

I said she had a bad backdash and a bad D2. That's not complaining, those are actual facts.

You seem to have trouble with comprehension because not once have I said she's shit or she's bad. Learn to read please. Not too late to go back to school
I just went back I didn't see the rest of your convo with others how you clarified her strong points my bad dawg. Forgive me? ❤

Jay Rupp

Human Smoke or Riot
Yay, another Deadshot thread! This was a bit too much for a post in his already-toxic nerf threads, so here you go. (Note: I was a Deathstroke main, so I'm all about zoning.)

Deadshot is a zoning character. That's what he does. He should be amazing at it, and he is. That's fine. Zoning is a scrub-killer and people are going to complain about it no matter what. This post is not directly about his zoning.

The problem with Deadshot is his ability to do everything else in the game better than a lot of characters who focus on those specific things; characters who don't have arguably the best zoning in the game. We'll dive into that topic in general in a minute, but specifically I want talk about his 50/50.

So he's got great zoning, fine. And you're a patient player and you manage to work your way in, great. But then you've got a coin-flip guess: guess wrong and you take a nice chunk of damage and are back to square one. Guess right and it doesn't matter because he can always remain almost totally safe thanks to Wrist Cannon and Bullet Barrage. A total guess that's weighted in Deadshot's favor.

Well is the 50/50 short-ranged like Ivy's low-starter? No, both options are sweep distance.

Well can one option not be canceled, like most other 50/50's in the game? Nope, both options can be special-canceled.

In fact, the only downside to either string is that b12 has a gap.

Ok, great, so his 50/50 is pretty good...so what? Well, look at the characters who have poor zoning options. You'd think they should be better up close in just about every way; their rushdown should be at least as good as his zoning. But nope; he's got:
  • 6-frame high starter (that ends with a mostly safe low that can be ended early). No rushdown character beats that.
  • 6-frame advancing mid that's 0 on block and pushes the opponent back past sweep distance and benefits from his trait. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think any rushdown character has a 6-frame mid. Maybe Aquaman? You can't even punish the gap in f123 because the 3 is a step-back triple-hitting move, so it creates space while breaking armor.
  • A low-hitting safe 8-frame d1.
  • an f3 that's +6 on block
  • an 11-frame sweep that's only -5
  • A long-range low-overhead b12 that sends full-screen on hit and is only -1 on block
  • a long-range overhead that sends full-screen on hit
Ok, so look at those tools. What rushdown character has access to that many amazing up-close tools? A 6-frame mid? Safe 50/50? Why does he even need zoning when he's got that kind of up-close game? Catwoman doesn't have those tools. Cheetah doesn't have those tools. Bane doesn't even come close to those tools. And those are all characters that are completely defined by their up-close game; they literally don't even have projectiles.

Ok, so you work your way in and guess right on his 50/50 and manage to land a hit and get a knock-down. Woo, this must be where his weak point is, correct? No one character can have zoning that good and rushdown that good and also have a decent wakeup, right? Wrong; he's got an invincible wakeup that's totally safe with meter (and he always has meter thanks to how quickly he builds it with his zoning). If it hits, yup, you guessed it; full screen. If you make a read, it's still a difficult move to whiff-punish due to how far he travels. Hell, if it whiffs, you just saved him a meter. So there's almost no downside to using this wakeup.

Ok, so he's got amazing zoning, amazing rushdown, and arguably a top-10 wakeup move (maybe even top 5?)? Yes, and that's the problem with Deadshot; not that his zoning is so strong, but that his everything is so strong.

He's a mess of a character, just in a very strong way. If you look at the opposite end of the "what the fuck was NRS thinking" spectrum, we see Brainiac; a character who's just as messed up, but in a way that makes him borderline unusable. No wakeup? Check. No projectile? Check (including trait; if your projectile goes away on block, fuck you, you do not have a projectile). No safe specials to cancel into? Check. Has to use crazy setups to get any damage? Check. So he's useless and difficult to use? Yes; opposite of Deadshot. Ideally, every character should be somewhere between those two extremes.

So that's my problem with Deadshot. I want him to be an amazing zoner. That's totally fine. But when you give him the best zoning in the game without any weaknesses to offset it (other than a mediocre d2), it offsets the game balance dramatically. Why use Bane when I can use a character who dominates from both up close and full-screen? Why use half the cast when Deadshot does what they do better than them while being easier to play?

If you want to keep Deadshot as good at zoning as he currently is, you really need to bite the bullet (no pun intended) and admit that he needs nerfs. Whether or not you agree, he's going to get nerfs. You know it, I know it, and Ed Boon knows it. If you want him to keep his zoning, you need to admit that his up-close game is maybe a bit too intense. Hopefully when he receives his inevitable nerfs, they'll focus on his up-close game and leave his zoning alone. That's a best-case scenario for you Deadshot mains. I was a Kano main in Mk9, a Deathstroke main in I1, and a Jax main in MKX: I'm all too familiar with the nerf hammer. It's coming, and you can either complain like the anti-Deadshot zealots are doing right now, or you can at least attempt some damage control by redirecting the hate towards his up-close game.

Phew, so in conclusion:

The issue is that Deadshot makes easily 25% of the cast redundant because he does what they do better than they do it, while also having top 1 or 2 zoning. That is the problem with Deadshot. That's not an opinion, that is an objective fact. I didn't say he's too good. I didn't say he's overpowered. I said he makes much of the cast redundant.
OMG?!?! Someone who finally understands that 50/50s and mixups are NOT the same thing? NO WAY! It's crazy how much misinformation is on these forums after a new game releases. Very well written & informative post.
#DeathstrokeOrRiot

Sasuga

Noob
I recently ran into a guy who tried to zone me out completely. I beat him pretty easily after which he immediately left. I checked out his profile. 15 hours of play in and he already put up a 117 winstreak and an 85% winrate, maining Deadshot.

He didn't even know DS can do airshots.

Seriously, though. They just need to nerf his ranged damage and meter building, just by a little. He has a lot of options but his damage should be minimal. I hope they keep his gameplan intact.

I understand all the frustration. How easy it looks to set up ranged play as Deadshot and how difficult it is to get around it. But there is a game to it, it's just a little bit more elaborate than the traditional zoner.

TheIrishFGCguy

Pew pew pew
I'm glad that you have decided it is not even an opinion but an objective fact that Deadshot makes 25% of the cast redundant. That is absolutely not a completely absurd and ridiculous claim to make, at all. After all, the game has been out a staggering 8-10 days. That is certainly plenty of time to determine that a character is so good he makes a quarter of the roster obsolete.