What's new

The Problem With Deadshot

LaidbackOne

Scrubby nice guy
His zoning is retarded but not overpowered and he builds a bit too much meter IMO.
Can we just agree that his staggerable low into overhead is a dumb idea?
Also, why does he have such good frame data on his normals which half of this games cast should be jealous about.

Last edited:

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
Most Deadshot mains in this thread are being just as bad as the "anti-Deadshot zealots." Meme-ing and whining about people complaining about zoning without reading the OP makes you just as petty. My highlight of the thread is @PLAYING TO WIN chewing out @Dankster Morgan for a benign question regarding the fate/deadshot matchup. Fuck context, actions prompt blind reactions.

@Scoot Magee out here defending your character much better and more reasonably than any of you ever have, doesn't even play deadshot.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I feel like I'm the only person around here who likes Deadshot more than Deathstroke. :[
I think Deadshot is a really cool character and I'm glad he's in the game, I just really am missing my Deathstroke.

x-azeez

Bullet with your name on it
Yay, another Deadshot thread! This was a bit too much for a post in his already-toxic nerf threads, so here you go. (Note: I was a Deathstroke main, so I'm all about zoning.)

Deadshot is a zoning character. That's what he does. He should be amazing at it, and he is. That's fine. Zoning is a scrub-killer and people are going to complain about it no matter what. This post is not directly about his zoning.

The problem with Deadshot is his ability to do everything else in the game better than a lot of characters who focus on those specific things; characters who don't have arguably the best zoning in the game. We'll dive into that topic in general in a minute, but specifically I want talk about his 50/50.

So he's got great zoning, fine. And you're a patient player and you manage to work your way in, great. But then you've got a coin-flip guess: guess wrong and you take a nice chunk of damage and are back to square one. Guess right and it doesn't matter because he can always remain almost totally safe thanks to Wrist Cannon and Bullet Barrage. A total guess that's weighted in Deadshot's favor.

Well is the 50/50 short-ranged like Ivy's low-starter? No, both options are sweep distance.

Well can one option not be canceled, like most other 50/50's in the game? Nope, both options can be special-canceled.

In fact, the only downside to either string is that b12 has a gap.

Ok, great, so his 50/50 is pretty good...so what? Well, look at the characters who have poor zoning options. You'd think they should be better up close in just about every way; their rushdown should be at least as good as his zoning. But nope; he's got:
  • 6-frame high starter (that ends with a mostly safe low that can be ended early). No rushdown character beats that.
  • 6-frame advancing mid that's 0 on block and pushes the opponent back past sweep distance and benefits from his trait. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think any rushdown character has a 6-frame mid. Maybe Aquaman? You can't even punish the gap in f123 because the 3 is a step-back triple-hitting move, so it creates space while breaking armor.
  • A low-hitting safe 8-frame d1.
  • an f3 that's +6 on block
  • an 11-frame sweep that's only -5
  • A long-range low-overhead b12 that sends full-screen on hit and is only -1 on block
  • a long-range overhead that sends full-screen on hit
Ok, so look at those tools. What rushdown character has access to that many amazing up-close tools? A 6-frame mid? Safe 50/50? Why does he even need zoning when he's got that kind of up-close game? Catwoman doesn't have those tools. Cheetah doesn't have those tools. Bane doesn't even come close to those tools. And those are all characters that are completely defined by their up-close game; they literally don't even have projectiles.

Ok, so you work your way in and guess right on his 50/50 and manage to land a hit and get a knock-down. Woo, this must be where his weak point is, correct? No one character can have zoning that good and rushdown that good and also have a decent wakeup, right? Wrong; he's got an invincible wakeup that's totally safe with meter (and he always has meter thanks to how quickly he builds it with his zoning). If it hits, yup, you guessed it; full screen. If you make a read, it's still a difficult move to whiff-punish due to how far he travels. Hell, if it whiffs, you just saved him a meter. So there's almost no downside to using this wakeup.

Ok, so he's got amazing zoning, amazing rushdown, and arguably a top-10 wakeup move (maybe even top 5?)? Yes, and that's the problem with Deadshot; not that his zoning is so strong, but that his everything is so strong.

He's a mess of a character, just in a very strong way. If you look at the opposite end of the "what the fuck was NRS thinking" spectrum, we see Brainiac; a character who's just as messed up, but in a way that makes him borderline unusable. No wakeup? Check. No projectile? Check (including trait; if your projectile goes away on block, fuck you, you do not have a projectile). No safe specials to cancel into? Check. Has to use crazy setups to get any damage? Check. So he's useless and difficult to use? Yes; opposite of Deadshot. Ideally, every character should be somewhere between those two extremes.

So that's my problem with Deadshot. I want him to be an amazing zoner. That's totally fine. But when you give him the best zoning in the game without any weaknesses to offset it (other than a mediocre d2), it offsets the game balance dramatically. Why use Bane when I can use a character who dominates from both up close and full-screen? Why use half the cast when Deadshot does what they do better than them while being easier to play?

If you want to keep Deadshot as good at zoning as he currently is, you really need to bite the bullet (no pun intended) and admit that he needs nerfs. Whether or not you agree, he's going to get nerfs. You know it, I know it, and Ed Boon knows it. If you want him to keep his zoning, you need to admit that his up-close game is maybe a bit too intense. Hopefully when he receives his inevitable nerfs, they'll focus on his up-close game and leave his zoning alone. That's a best-case scenario for you Deadshot mains. I was a Kano main in Mk9, a Deathstroke main in I1, and a Jax main in MKX: I'm all too familiar with the nerf hammer. It's coming, and you can either complain like the anti-Deadshot zealots are doing right now, or you can at least attempt some damage control by redirecting the hate towards his up-close game.

Phew, so in conclusion:

The issue is that Deadshot makes easily 25% of the cast redundant because he does what they do better than they do it, while also having top 1 or 2 zoning. That is the problem with Deadshot. That's not an opinion, that is an objective fact. I didn't say he's too good. I didn't say he's overpowered. I said he makes much of the cast redundant.
i hope the nerf comes after combo breaker immediately

Krunchy

Noob
I think people are jumping the gun and complaining about something that isn't a problem. Most of the anti-deadshotters are basically saying, he has great zoning, great wakeup, great 50/50s, and since he has all 3 he's broken.

His 50/50s are not that insane. You guys are talking about him like he has this insane 50/50 situation but I think that after the game has been out for some time people will get really used to his patterns and this will not be nearly as much of a talking point.

His wakeup knee is not that overpowered guys. And someone said zoners should "NEVER" be allowed to have safe wakeups and I think that's so stupid. I love that NRS is pushing the boundaries with these characters. Him having that tool requires you to block sometimes after knocking him down, and that's fine. I like that knee gives him a very substantial amount of defensive power that will protect him when certain rushdown characters are dominating.

His zoning is great but shooting a projectile is shooting a projectile. If your opponent reads your move and evades it or blocks it you can get punished for that. I think most people agree that they want him to be a super strong zoner though which is good I think.

He's a zoner, but he has respectable strings and wakeup. Because I don't think any of his individual parts of his kit (his safe wakeup, 50/50s, zoning, strings) are unfair by themselves, I think we should just git good and deal with him being strong for a while. If we're still talking like this in 2 months then I'll change my mind.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
It's sad really. What you pointed is is true. Even though his up close game is good it's not great. It all depends on people's skills. Knowledge and experience dealing with match ups.
>mixes someone with staggerable true 50/50 strings

"aha, another one who didn't learn the match up! you didn't learn the match up! back to fullscreen with you!"

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
His wakeup knee is not that overpowered guys. And someone said zoners should "NEVER" be allowed to have safe wakeups and I think that's so stupid. I love that NRS is pushing the boundaries with these characters. Him having that tool requires you to block sometimes after knocking him down, and that's fine.
it's fine for him to be the best zoning character and still have great wake up, rushdown, mixes, and frames, it's Pushing The Boundaries (™). Good work NRS

I'm going to campaign for Flash to get a recovery free projectile that teleports me to their face on hit. I'd like to push some boundaries as well please guys

Last edited:

Parasurama

Dragon
It would be cool for Flash to have a teleport... and an ethereal vanish thing too :)

it's fine for him to be the best zoning character and still have great wake up, rushdown, mixes, frames, and , it's Pushing The Boundaries (™). Good work NRS

I'm going to campaign for Flash to get a recovery free projectile that teleports me to their face on hit. I'd like to push some boundaries as well please guys

Krunchy

Noob
it's fine for him to be the best zoning character and still have great wake up, rushdown, mixes, frames, and , it's Pushing The Boundaries (™). Good work NRS

I mean, I'll agree that he has great zoning and wakeup but his rushdown is not that great and his frames are good, but not better than the average character. Am I missing something about his mixup game? Like what about it is so broken? He doesn't even have any low/OH special moves to cancel strings into..

I just feel like we're exaggerating here a little...

I mean...

his b1,2 is soooooooooo crazy 11f low starter with good range iinto -1 on block overhead and which gives u restand or you can hitconrifm it into combo that leaves your opponent full screen (almost?) And you can start your zoning game.

he have some nice block strings that leaves enemy in range of b1.

Hes complete character I would say. my day1 with him

abuse his d1, is insane

Last edited:

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
>mixes someone with staggerable true 50/50 strings

"aha, another one who didn't learn the match up! you didn't learn the match up! back to fullscreen with you!"
Yes. That's correct. Then eat these tasty bullets & hold that side of the screen.

You come in & he can mix you up. So? Everyone else can do the same thing to a degree.

And?

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Yes. That's correct. Then eat these tasty bullets & hold that side of the screen.

You come in & he can mix you up. So? Everyone else can do the same thing to a degree.

And?
I'd maybe put quotes around "mixup". A 50/50 isn't a mixup; it's a coin flip. When it's safe and staggerable, it's a coin flip weighted heavily in Deadshot's favor.

ABACABB

End Of Humanity
So only deadshot winning something is sonic fox and even he switches to black adam . Lets think what this reminds of ? Ohhh i remember , mkxl and erron black ;) Only sonic was winning with him and he got nerfed ..... but guess what ? Even after nerfs sonic kept winning. Nerf sonic not deadshot lol

My prediction is , only deadshot at combo breaker that will make top 8 is sonic fox + 3-4 batmans,aquamans ,black adams at top 8

but nerf deadshot :DOGE

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
3-4 batmans,aquamans ,black adams at top 8
If you are trying to imply that batman, aquaman, and black adam are stronger/should be nerfed over deadshot, pretty weird you have their representation in top 8 at (about) the same ratio as Deadshot.

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
I'd maybe put quotes around "mixup". A 50/50 isn't a mixup; it's a coin flip. When it's safe and staggerable, it's a coin flip weighted heavily in Deadshot's favor.
Again... So? Other characters in the game have 50/50's.

Look I agree with your original post. Honestly I think your on the right track but to "flip the coin" on the other hand it's been I think 10 days. 10 bloody days this has came out and there are characters, tech, match ups and a whole slew of things to be discovered and analyzed.

His "guaranteed go to" in situations that benifet him more then his opponents are also in almost everyone else in the game. It just sucks that he's also a very good zoner. Arguably the best but yeah his 50/50 is the issue.

Even though many a deadshot players have fallen at Combo Breaker to other types characters and there multiple ways around his zoning and straight up challenging his 50/50 if the player even chooses to use it since it's more optimal to use it with meter.

Again. I say so.
I also say to those who whip out there whiny voices to look at ALL the vids, tech, threads, Twitter, discord, Reddit, streams need I go on.....

And !get gud!

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
The "problem with Deadshot" is while you guys complain about him nonstop the tournament players win with Aquaman while he appears in 1 out of every 3 matches.

Krunchy

Noob
Yeah the pro scene is certainly shifting the deadshot conversation. I remember at the start of MKX watching @STB Shujinkydink destroy kids in tournament with a very simple hard to blockable with bat and B2. In MKX quan was one of the better zoners as well. If I recall correctly quan did get nerfed but learning how to deal with the bat mixups stayed in the game. Some people hate it understandably, but quan was never a huge problem in the competitive scene, or in casual play. He was occasionally picked up and always very strong, but everything was ok.