What's new

The portrayal of women in video games.

Masculinity for men, just started recently. People and men are more aware of their physic now. And men are being marketed hardcore as of late.

Looking good started with the gay male community, it just recently stared carrying on to the general male population.

Did you really link a video to that girl? The same girl that promise a set of videos after a 100k+ kickstarter to release in sept and not a single one has been released.

The same girl that did this?

Sexism exist in the world. But just like real life there are examples that counter it with solid/strong female characters.

1) Elena (UC)
2) Bonnie MacFarlane (RDR)
3) Samus (Before Other M)
4) Rose (Legend of Dragoon)
5) Kat (Gravity Rush)
6) Mitsuru (Persona 3)
7) Hilde (Soul Calibur 4/5)
8) Jade (BG&E)
9) The Boss (MGS)
10) Faith (Mirror Edge)
11) Kurisu Makise (Steins;Gate)
12) Bayonetta (Bayonetta)
13) Ursula (Breath of Fire 4)
14) Lightning (FF13)
15) Trish (DMC)
16) Trip (Enslaved)
17) Glados (Portal)
18) Jack (ME2)

the list goes on. Its just the boobs are everywhere so that it outshines a lot of the better designed characters.

Just play Dark Souls, then everyone looks like beef jerky.

A major part of the problem is the nature of the videogame industry as of late. It's a desperate, hit-driven market with bloated development budgets that are nearly impossible to re-cooperate. This is why we are seeing annualized squeals that re-use assets (Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, etc...) and huge staffing cuts after a game is shipped.

If developers and publishers can cull the cost of developing, publishing, and marketing games down to a reasonable place and not this insane bubble like it is now, then we will see more progress and risk-taking on all fronts. But until then, tits and explosions will be the name of the game because yes, they actually do have to appeal to the lowest common denominator to stay in bushiness.

While this will be seen as something controversial, I don't think it should. It's a real issue that deserves real attention and introspection. As we grow as a culture, and demand more respect in the eyes of others, we should take a hard look at how we treat women in our community (not just MK) and the way we look to the outside world when we over-sexualize our female characters. If there is to be discussion about this video, I'd ask that it be mature and not simply a reflection of the problem.

Updated:

I really don`t want to hear "Jax has muscles and that`s a stereotype too so it`s all fair!"

No. When an ugly fat man can`t get a good serious role in a TV series, then we`ll talk. But don`t BS me and say that this is the same. Women nearly always have to be physically appealing to the male demographic if they are going to be considered marketable. Meanwhile, male characters and actors can be fat or hairy or old or scrawny or just all together ugly, and it doesn`t hurt sales.

First of all, obviously games aren`t the only medium where this issue persists. It`s everywhere. But there`s something unique about games, and comics as well. It`s the standard. When you look at movies, tv shows, magazines, or books, sure there are oversexed portrayals of women. And of men too, taking something like Magic Mike for example. But I can find you thousands of movies and shows that feature women in ways that are not supposed to appeal to sexual desire.

However, games are the opposite. We have to have a game like Heavy Rain to have a female character not running around in a skimpy outfit. (And even that game had to ruin it with a gratuatous shower and sex scene.) If you`re here to defend the persistant portrayal of woman as physical objects to gawk at, do it without comparing it to other mediums. Games are way worse, and we know it. And the existence of the problem in other places doesn`t justify it all together.

You see sex appeal overload in action and horror movies. And games are almost all universally action, so I can see why sex is so often thrown in. But that`s the whole problem. Our medium then becomes 95% saturated with female characters bursting with cleavage and thongs up their asses. For girls growing up with a film interest, at least they aren`t bombarded with sexual imagery at every turn. If they grow up gamers, they have no choice because sex is in their face at every turn. Is this really healthy for them? And is it healthy for our culture overall?

How does constantly being fed sex in order to peak our interest not just feed into the stereotype that we are a bunch of children?

We don`t have to strip sex from everything. I`m not saying MK has to change and that Jade needs a sack thrown over her. It`s not about one game. But maybe we could rise above our own horomones and personal tastes to ask for a higher standard for the greater good. Let there be sex in games, but don`t make it to where sex and games are synonymous.

We should can see a sexed up female character and love it. But we should reject when characters are turned into sex objects. The perfect example would be Jill Valentine from Resident Evil. She was a heroic woman that overcame a terrifying scenario, in a fully clothed Special Forces uniform. She never needed to flirt with anyone to get her way. Her clothes were never ripped off. She never made sexy one-liner jokes. Yet she was still entirely feminine. Then as the games progressed (or regressed, rather), she donned mini skirts and tube tops, doubled her breast size, and fell into the mold of modern CGI sex toy.

There`s something wrong with this. It`s alienating. It`s unimaginitive. And it simply pushes the idea that we have to appeal to the lowest common denominator every time.

I`m glad people are talking though. I don`t just stir up shit for laughs. Discussion is good for everyone.
Here's your answer. Ironically with a question...

Gurpwnder

Saikyo Student
One thing I never got is why every female in MK9 has high heels. The outfits don't bother me, but why high heels? You'd think that ninjas would wear more comfortable shoes.

SZSR

Noob
Just putting it out there, but the sasuagefests at tournaments is a huge reason why I'm debating if I want to go. I don't know if I'll be able to handle all the side comments or bashing on stream. Not because I'm ugly, but I'm a girl surrounded by testosterone trying to be the best that I can be at a video game. Y'know just trying to beat the odds.
Don't get discouraged trying to beat the odds. It's certainly doable and just because there are a bunch of guys around doesn't mean you'll be harassed all day or anything. Even Kayane (top Soul Calibur player) has been able to hang with the other top players, beating RTD when she was 9 years old and she's like 21 now.

Honestly you'll just get a bunch of socially awkward guys hanging around you and saying dumb stuff.

Or guys like me who can't even talk to girls. In which case, it's not your fault.

In any case, don't get discouraged on going to tournies, we need everyone there, not just the guys.

Masculinity for men, just started recently. People and men are more aware of their physic now. And men are being marketed hardcore as of late.

Looking good started with the gay male community, it just recently stared carrying on to the general male population.
this is extremely false. there has always been a look that was determined to be desirable. at certain points different looks signified different things:
now: skin=sexy because people dont have an imagination anymore
30s: long coats meant you had some money, which was better than most in the depression.
1750s-ish: the white wigs meant nobility (see washington and before)
various other points in history: fat men signified wealth and the ability to raise a family well.
ancient greece: having served in war was viewed as more virtuous than anything else. spartans would go to war naked because clothes weighed them down.
mongols, spaniards, greeks, and romans all "conquered" the women of the defeated enemy.
the list goes on. perhaps the terminal form that we now witness is somewhat unique to our age, but sexuality has progressed. (note: you should question this last statement. it is naturalizing in the same way as the partiarchal narrative, though i dont think it has the same implications. to me it is important to understand what ought to be changed from human history and what simply needs to be reunderstood so that change will come naturally.)

this is extremely false. there has always been a look that was determined to be desirable. at certain points different looks signified different things:
now: skin=sexy because people dont have an imagination anymore
30s: long coats meant you had some money, which was better than most in the depression.
1750s-ish: the white wigs meant nobility (see washington and before)
various other points in history: fat men signified wealth and the ability to raise a family well.
ancient greece: having served in war was viewed as more virtuous than anything else. spartans would go to war naked because clothes weighed them down.
mongols, spaniards, greeks, and romans all "conquered" the women of the defeated enemy.
the list goes on. perhaps the terminal form that we now witness is somewhat unique to our age, but sexuality has progressed. (note: you should question this last statement. it is naturalizing in the same way as the partiarchal narrative, though i dont think it has the same implications. to me it is important to understand what ought to be changed from human history and what simply needs to be reunderstood so that change will come naturally.)
Physic dude.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Don't get discouraged trying to beat the odds. It's certainly doable and just because there are a bunch of guys around doesn't mean you'll be harassed all day or anything. Even Kayane (top Soul Calibur player) has been able to hang with the other top players, beating RTD when she was 9 years old and she's like 21 now.

Honestly you'll just get a bunch of socially awkward guys hanging around you and saying dumb stuff.

Or guys like me who can't even talk to girls. In which case, it's not your fault.

In any case, don't get discouraged on going to tournies, we need everyone there, not just the guys.

Y

eah. That kinda sums up the whole thing, doesn`t it?

Physic dude.
yeah, spartans at the very least, but also all the ones who valued being fat. that's still physic, just with a different means. it all always signifies something. we dont value things for their own sake, that's not how people work.

Just putting it out there, but the sasuagefests at tournaments is a huge reason why I'm debating if I want to go. I don't know if I'll be able to handle all the side comments or bashing on stream. Not because I'm ugly, but I'm a girl surrounded by testosterone trying to be the best that I can be at a video game. Y'know just trying to beat the odds.
you aren't the first girl nor will you be the last. I can name girls that are overall accepted even by the community. Ignore stream monsters. People that can hide behind anonymity and take actions without repercussions will always be jackasses.
1) Sherry Jenix
2) Corimon
3) Persia (Yipes' gf)
4) Kayo (Yes trans girls are girls)
5) karaface
6) ChocoBlanka
7) Kayane
8) Mei (chick from The Break in EC)

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations

Yeah. That kinda sums up the whole thing, doesn`t it?

I kinda wonder what some of these "It`s what sells!" people would say 50 years ago when businesses didn`t want to hire black people to work at the front desk because the clients wouldn`t like it. I mean, if white people are the target demographic, shouldn`t they be allowed to keep black people out so they don`t scare them off? What`s the difference?

yeah, spartans at the very least, but also all the ones who valued being fat. that's still physic, just with a different means. it all always signifies something. we dont value things for their own sake, that's not how people work.
You should go look up what I'm saying before claiming it's false. I clearly used the word masculinity. And I'm referring to modern day.

Enenra

Go to hell.
If I have to look at someone, I prefer them to be attractive. Woman and men alike. Pretty face, nice features, skinny, all of that is for men and women. And I would be very salty if in MK10 Sub Zero was some fat drunken fuck throwing up all over the place and spewing bad pick up lines. (Basically if he was Bo Rai Cho.)

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
you aren't the first girl nor will you be the last. I can name girls that are overall accepted even by the community. Ignore stream monsters. People that can hide behind anonymity and take actions without repercussions will always be jackasses.
1) Sherry Jenix
2) Corimon
3) Persia (Yipes' gf)
4) Kayo (Yes trans girls are girls)
5) karaface
6) ChocoBlanka
7) Kayane
8) Mei (chick from The Break in EC)

we have some really good girls in MK

wasn't there a pherleece show or something with some of them on once or something?

NapoleonComplex

Worst Injustice Player
Why is it that a game where women are portayed as sex objects is not offensive at all, but a game like Cooking Mama comes out an people start whining? Does Cooking Mama imply all women should be in the kitchen? No. It's just a cooking game.. with a mama. If a game came out called Lawnmowing Papa I wouldn't cry about it. Do they really have to change Cooking Mama to Cooking Papa so people won't get so offended...?