What's new

The portrayal of women in video games.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I got pantsed in an elevator at Final Round. Some people are just ... Not right. He goes, "you have sexy hip bones!" And then yank! I was like eeep! And just pulled my shorts back up.
Glor knocks people out for that. I hate spending the night at the yard for assault.

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
I got pantsed in an elevator at Final Round. Some people are just ... Not right. He goes, "you have sexy hip bones!" And then yank! I was like eeep! And just pulled my shorts back up.

In retrospect, I should have bitched him out a little or at least told the TOs. But I was really new to the FGC and just grateful it wasn't worse. As it is, I think he was just a drunk idiot who got handsy . I do not think it was my fault. I wasn't wearing a belt, but long sleeves and khaki shorts that showed a sliver of my lower stomach and hips depending how I stood. One player later said I was dressed like a slut, but I can't see it.

ETA; This is why objectifying women in video games doesn't phase me. They're not real people. Do whatever you want to imaginary characters, freedom of expression, don't censor art all that. There's enough jack asses and misogynists attacking and harassing and pantsing living women, why would I care about Lara Croft when I've got my own safety and well being to worry about. Let her wear her stripper boots and shoot mummies and jump 8 feet in the air and be and look as fake and fantasy as her creators want IMHO.
I think you're missing the broader point that objectifying women in video games feeds into the culture of misogyny in the FGC, which you've experienced first hand on multiple occasions.

Also, do you think it was your fault that you got pants, since you weren't wearing a belt? DJ L Toro

Goldi

Noob
No I don't think it was my fault lol.

But outside the FGC, I've dealt with similar treatment. Not just gamers or kids - but like 80 year old swamp thing looking men think it's acceptable to smack your ass when you bring them coffee. So I guess I'm having trouble staying focused. This kind of thing has been a problem for centuries. Nothing new or limited to the gaming community.

I admit, my own apathy may be part of the problem. Of course it's terrifying and humiliating when these things happen. It's a defense mechanism to sort of downplay it so you can move on.

I kinda completely missed the point of her campaign because I was just horrified and saddened over the abuse she received personally for it. It makes me cringe. I can't feel sympathy for video game characters, so that's the part of the video that grabbed my attention.

This will be my last post in this thread because certain people have proven to be too immature to have such a discussion. people here are too angry and it clouds their ability to process any progressive thought.
I think you're missing the broader point that objectifying women in video games feeds into the culture of misogyny in the FGC, which you've experienced first hand on multiple occasions.

Also, do you think it was your fault that you got pants, since you weren't wearing a belt? DJ L Toro
top half: you're missing a warrant for this argument, therefore it doesnt merit a response from anyone.
bottom: This is the piss poor american mentality that desires to blame someone for everything that happend to you. To you there is one and only one source of blame and you are too stupid to see that there are an indefinite number of contributing sources to every event that happens. you also conflate a prank with real sexual assault. That's what that was STB Goldfish. if someone is glorifying a part of your body and reaches to undress that part without your permission it is sexual assault and you have the right to nutpunch them. that being said did you buy a belt after this experience?

But outside the FGC, I've dealt with similar treatment. Not just gamers or kids - but like 80 year old swamp thing looking men think it's acceptable to smack your ass when you bring them coffee. So I guess I'm having trouble staying focused. This kind of thing has been a problem for centuries. Nothing new or limited to the gaming community.

I admit, my own apathy may be part of the problem. Of course it's terrifying and humiliating when these things happen. It's a defense mechanism to sort of downplay it so you can move on
This sounds like you believe that such treatment is inevitable. you're right it has been a problem for centuries, but human history extends far beyond centuries. fact of the matter is you do not have to accept such treatment. unlike most of what people are saying here feminism isnt about being portrayed as a powerless victim. women are not powerless and they are not solely victims. women have (can exercise) a lot more power than what is assumed.

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
This sounds like you believe that such treatment is inevitable. you're right it has been a problem for centuries, but human history extends far beyond centuries. fact of the matter is you do not have to accept such treatment. unlike most of what people are saying here feminism isnt about being portrayed as a powerless victim. women are not powerless and they are not solely victims. women have (can exercise) a lot more power than what is assumed.
I suppose that you and I just have different definitions of 'empowerment'. To me, empowerment is standing up for yourself, doing what you want to do, and telling anyone who thinks otherwise to go fuck themselves. In your argument, it sounds like you're saying that women should "empower" themselves by preparing for the worst.

Justice

Noob
I suppose that you and I just have different definitions of 'empowerment'. To me, empowerment is standing up for yourself, doing what you want to do, and telling anyone who thinks otherwise to go fuck themselves. In your argument, it sounds like you're saying that women should "empower" themselves by preparing for the worst.
Expect the best, prepare for the worst. Women should expect to be treated like the princesses they are but also need to be ready to deal with drunken assholes that pants them in an elevator.

NapoleonComplex

Worst Injustice Player
Another question: So for every one recognizing that the portrayal of women in games isn't always fair...

...and there are exceptions to this...

What do we do from there? How do we affect change?

Should we?
I brought this up and they knew they couldn't answer. NO LEGISLIATION. CHANGE. Make up your minds..

ok child, enough. it's not just "agree to disagree," that mindset only encourages STASIS (which i'm pretty sure no feminist would be willing to defend). You cannot just dichotomize the world the way you do (primarily because your dichotomies have no BRIGHTLINES as to what distinguishes right and wrong, friend and enemy, victim and perpetrator, and so on). everything you have said has been meaningless because you have attempted to couch what i say as "wrong" or "enemy" without perceiving the truth value of it.

i dont give a shit about empowerment. i dont think you can have power. power isnt something that is possessed, it is something that is EXERCISED. power is a fluid construct that permeates all human interaction. it's not about definitions, you just fundamentally misunderstand how power works. you're probably thinking "who cares what you characterize power as?" but this is the fundamental point: that power is fluid and permeates all INTERACTIONS. interactions arent one way actions, exercising power always has a counter-exercise of power. that means if you say "i'll do whatever the fuck i want" you still have to deal with the REPERCUSSIONS.

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
I once told a girl she had nice pants, I meant in my head nice ass in those pants but she probably thought I enjoyed them from a fashion standpoint.

Pho Cubic

Sérieusement Sabrewulf peut aller en enfer.
Make all video game characters wear little to nothing by default. Then there should be glasses you have to buy that change what you're seeing.

One pair of glasses gives the women clothes while the men are naked. The other pair gives the men clothes and keeps the women naked. Developers make $$$ off the glasses. Women are happy. Men are happy. If your significant other gives you shit for buying the glasses, buy them a pair too.

Everyone wins.