What's new

The portrayal of women in video games.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
Go play the new Devil May Cry demo. Your wish is coming bro... during the first cut scene look closely at the male presented in the billboard for that green drink.

You can't miss it.
Lol nice. However, it's not EXACTLY my fantasy. I have a massive social life (which includes tons of straight guy friends and preppy girls and your run of the mill gay guys) I just think it'd be cool to see a masculine, butch gay dude kicking ass and to have my warrior bitches look like warrior bitches...not dime store hookers. But in all in all...I'm not offended nor annoyed by the reality of who these games are targeted for. I'm just saying...if MK was real...I'm pretty sure I've grinded with Cage at my local gay club! ;)

Reedoms

Noob
I don't get what the problem is. Male characters are over-buffed and so Women characters should be over-sexy. Nobody wants to see over-buffed chicks and over-sexy males. So I say shits fine the way it is.
Pftt, says you. Fit ladies are sexy.

Males are objectified in media too, people seem to forget that. More so personality wise, but physical attributes shine through as well. We have the "macho, badass" role in every single media outlet.

But aside from that, my stance still stands, women in general uphold that objectification standard set by the media, more than men in real life, so people in charge run with that idea and continue to create lustful female characters, which is than upheld by "most" women of today. C'mon, have you ever seen a cosplayer in relation to video games or a female character dress as someone not overly sexual. It's like a slim chance. Even if a character is portrayed as a regular "female", they get stripped down to flaunt. Why isn't no one dressing as much as the Gears of War females (most recent females I can remember that aren't objectified). They are sexy, yet they aren't half naked, and probably receive the least representation in cosplay as any other female character, in recent times.

Yeah, it's hot, we have like half naked women in the summer time, just for example. Booty shorts anyone, they get shorter every year.

It's just the way it is, no one wants to say it, but secretly, they all like the attention within reason, when they are part of the limelight, with people complimenting, desiring you, etc, applies to men too. It's bitter, sweet. It's a catch22 discussion.

* flame-shield*

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
Female characters in video games have their physical attributes accentuated because the majority of the gaming audience is comprised of young men. Using attractive women to market to them is a no brainer, and no one should complain about it.
Why shouldn't people complain about it? Why not market it as, I don't know, a good fucking game maybe?, instead of putting tits everywhere and hoping for the best.

RunwayMafia

Why shouldn't people complain about it? Why not market it as, I don't know, a good fucking game maybe?, instead of putting tits everywhere and hoping for the best.
Exactly. This is why I always play as Kit and Jade in their MK3 outfits. I find them nostalgic, SOMEWHAT SEXY (with the corset top) but mostly because they look the most "ninja" to me. Plus, I like the classy hair up in a bun. Sorry to [ban incoming] out there...lol...we gays pick up on such details. ;)

peachyO

Noob
Maaan we don't even have a full fucking quan chi guide and yet here we are planting c4 in tym's foundation.
I like mortal kombat dammit! Move it to MKU
quit being so afraid or real talk ;) . people are responding, so obviously the community has a lot to say about the matter. it's cool. "off topic discussion" is the perfect place for this topic. and yes we do have a full quan guide; mayo's videos cover him in depth, and not too long ago i posted a guide with hints, tips, and at least 100 combos.

RunwayMafia

This is somewhat on topic, but I do believe learning in an Asian historic culture class I took a while ago, that women assassins are revered and have been revered for millennia. I'm not sure if that is partly due to the fact that they can seduce male leaders/kings/other male assassins....but it is factual that women assassins have higher kill stats ( in real life, ancient cultures). Also, I believe in Metal Gear Solid (PS), SniperWolf, mentions that women are the best snipers? I looked this up and it is in fact true..apparently they are the most patient of the human race. Just some cool trivia regarding fierce women.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
As a gay man, it doesn't bother me nor distracts me to see Mileena, Kitana, Jade, or even Sheeva dressed like dime store street walkers. However, it is utterly ridiculous. I mean, aren't these women supposed to be skilled and deadly assassins? If I had any control over outfits or victory stances etc., I'd have an alternative outfit for Cage and Jax in NOTHING but a tight speedo showing the outline of their cocks, and when they won the match they'd shake their ass like Magic Mike and give me a nice convincing wink. Now, straight men of TYM, do you see how ridiculous that would be? ;)
I am 100 percent straight, but I like to dress my male characters in Tekken like, hmm... search "Tom Of Finland" on Google images ;)

scarsunseen

Miley Cyrax®
Look I agree completely that women should be treated better and not looked at as objects. But it would REALLY help, if women didn't dress the way they did.

They say, "don't treat us like sex objects".........then they go and dress like this...

So it's a woman's fault that that you can't control yourself?

Wow.

Also, she doesn't represent all women. She represents herself.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
So....I have some thoughts...and I'll just throw them out there.

Yes, women are exploited terribly in video games. Absolutely. Of course, this isn't limited to JUST games, as all entertainment does this in one form or another, but the topic is video games. The only way you can fix this or cause any kind of change is if more women enter the business and position themselves into lead developer roles. Something that is not easily done, sure, but that's the one thing that will matter more than an internet video.

Also, when we look at the portrayal of women in games, I think context should be considered. Take MK for example...yes, Mileena/Kitana/Jade all dress very scantily. However...The Emperor is also barely wearing anything as well. Outworld "fashion," (outside of ninjas, perhaps) seems to be geared toward that.

If that's a bad example...and I'm sure it is...look at something like Final Fantasy 10. People complained about the attire of the female characters, but many others, like The Albhed, Blitz Ball players, etc, were also wearing clothing that exposed more skin. The world the creators depict, and what those fantasy cultures emulate, should be considered as well.

Now...here's something that I've been mulling over lately: While I can agree that the treatment of women in games is wrong...what about the men? Not in physique, mind you...but in what they do. In all media....men are the villains. More specifically, men are the ones committing violent acts. Is it fair that women are displayed as sex objects? No. But what about the depiction of men as rapists? Or as terrorists? Serial killers? Why are men, in all media, the perpetrators of violence and death?

Has anyone ever thought about that?

If we could stop with the sexy kittens wandering all over the media than woman would be taken seriously. Kitchen jokes wouldn't exist when they realize woman can be just as tough as the guys. It's something that I have been wondering what would happen if that were to change.
I agree with everything else you said but this. i dont think that desexing images in games is enough to change the ideology that runs rampant through society and constructs naturalized narratives where women "just are" less. it takes a lot more than that. It should start with the deconstruction of our rhetoric and an interrogation of the history of oppression that humanity has CREATED. People must recognize that there is nothing natural about oppression and it hasnt always been an issue. Many ancient nomadic tribes in the middle east were matriarchal, egypt had a matriarch for a good time (much that the christian bible might want to convince us otherwise), even large european societies including Sparta had powerful women.
anyway i've babbled for a bit, lol, if anyoen wants to talk with me about this i'm also a feminist so i always welcome conversations concerning gender equality.

peachyO

Noob
So....I have some thoughts...and I'll just throw them out there.

Yes, women are exploited terribly in video games. Absolutely. Of course, this isn't limited to JUST games, as all entertainment does this in one form or another, but the topic is video games. The only way you can fix this or cause any kind of change is if more women enter the business and position themselves into lead developer roles. Something that is not easily done, sure, but that's the one thing that will matter more than an internet video.

Also, when we look at the portrayal of women in games, I think context should be considered. Take MK for example...yes, Mileena/Kitana/Jade all dress very scantily. However...The Emperor is also barely wearing anything as well. Outworld "fashion," (outside of ninjas, perhaps) seems to be geared toward that.

If that's a bad example...and I'm sure it is...look at something like Final Fantasy 10. People complained about the attire of the female characters, but many others, like The Albhed, Blitz Ball players, etc, were also wearing clothing that exposed more skin. The world the creators depict, and what those fantasy cultures emulate, should be considered as well.

Now...here's something that I've been mulling over lately: While I can agree that the treatment of women in games is wrong...what about the men? Not in physique, mind you...but in what they do. In all media....men are the villains. More specifically, men are the ones committing violent acts. Is it fair that women are displayed as sex objects? No. But what about the depiction of men as rapists? Or as terrorists? Serial killers? Why are men, in all media, the perpetrators of violence and death?

Has anyone ever thought about that?
good points, nice post. to answer, i would argue that the reason men are depicted as rapists is because 93% of all rapes (in america; the stats are a bit higher worldwide) are perpetrated by men. as for terrorists and serial killers, again, men make up nearly 100% of those categories, so depicting a man in those roles in a video game is accurate. as for lead villains? well, if art imitates life (and i consider video games as art) once again, rarely do women in real life have the chance to amass enough power to become a super-villain, so i assume their numbers in the fantasy world reflect that.

RunwayMafia

This is a perfect example of what I think this thread needs. This, in my opinion, is where the media got it right. Talisa Soto, who plays Kitana, is extremely classy, knowledgable, and is represented in the movie as a respectable force to be reckoned with. Look at how she is dressed...totally acceptable for fighting standards yet she maintains some sex appeal. Which could also be said for Liu Kang, who is shirtless and has a pretty asian face. Also, it has been widely debated upon, but many feel that "Kitana" basically threw this fight in order to help Kang, when in fact she clearly could have kicked his ass. ;)

Frostbarrier

I Protect The Fridge!
That's just sick. My views on feminism may differ from hers, but no one deserves to be threatened like that.

As for feminism in video games, I embrace and even celebrate my sexuality. I cosplay the MK girls and have never once felt exploited or degraded doing it. I've always thought of it as showing love for the game and community and bringing hype. Keeping us in the spotlight. I have fun, the players enjoy it, even other women usually want pics with Jade or Milly.

I think women's bodies are beautiful and should be celebrated however the individual feels is appropriate. So I do not mind smutty characters. Or appearing that way myself to others who do not approve.

It's strange how her and I have received similar treatment with such differing outlooks.
you're awesome ... woot woot XD ... totally agree with u!

peachyO

Noob
But doesn't depicting men in this way do as much damage as depicting an oversexualized female?
yes it does. so long as ruthlessness, violence, and unfettered aggression are portrayed as admirable qualities in men, men will continue to try to be these things. but the difference is that men essentially rule the world, therefore they have the power to change their own standards. women do not rule the world and must therefore deal with whatever standards are foisted upon them by men.

So it's a woman's fault that that you can't control yourself?

Wow.

Also, she doesn't represent all women. She represents herself.
But doesn't depicting men in this way do as much damage as depicting an oversexualized female?
Look I agree completely that women should be treated better and not looked at as objects. But it would REALLY help, if women didn't dress the way they did.
You see therein lies the problem. I would say males enjoy when women dress up like that. Hell women do to! I mean its just cosplay. I cosplayed as Zack from Final Fantasy VII once. No big deal. That Jade outfit is for fun, not something women usually wear all the time. If you feel good enough about yourself, then go for it!
first off: women have the right to dress any damn way they like. if a man is so pussy-starved he can't even look at a sexily dressed woman without losing his shit and acting like a damn fool then he needs to be neutered. blaming women and their clothes for how men treat/view them is like blaming women for when men rape them. the fault is with the rapist, not the victim.

Sure, women can dress however they want, but if they dress like a slut they have no right to complain about being treated in a sexualized way. Same is true of guys (sagging, in case you fallas dont know is an indication that you're easy access so that someone... lets call him Tyson... can piece you up from behind balls deep).