What's new

The Official Souls Forum (Demon/DS1/DS2)

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
Um. If I can remember it off the top of my head

Pyromancer (obv only one that starts at 1)
Grass Crest Shield
Rofap/flip ring

Lightnign Baxe +5
eastern armor/legs/gauntlets
MoM
Eastern Armor huh? I like to think that you can't go wrong with (almost) any armor. I don't like to always wear the same stuff with different characters. I've never done a SL1 build. I've recently been trying to play through the game at the lowest levels possible, but that isn't working out at the moment. Between that and the calamity ring, I have plenty more experimenting to do.

Killphil

Did you ever kill pikachu and snorlax? I had to step out.

Anyway what Impose was probably getting at was what kind of character did you want yours to be? I couldn't tell from what I was seeing. You looking for magically oriented, strength, dexterity, faith..etc...a combination of those? Vit and Endurance are a given with (most) builds, but those are the main development stats.

Also, do you understand how the scaling works with weapons Jer?

Edit: Speaking of TheTetraSpirit

Jer

I'm a literal Sloth
Did you ever kill pikachu and snorlax? I had to step out.

Anyway what Impose was probably getting at was what kind of character did you want yours to be? I couldn't tell from what I was seeing. You looking for magically oriented, strength, dexterity, faith..etc...a combination of those? Vit and Endurance are a given with (most) builds, but those are the main development stats.

Also, do you understand how the scaling works with weapons Jer?

Edit: Speaking of TheTetraSpirit
Yep I killed em, well TheTetraSpirit did and I watched :D

Uhm I don't know, melee build I guess, I don't like casting stuff.

And No, I have no idea how scaling works with weapons.

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin
Impose, what's the best ascenscion path for bows (short, long, compound, pharis) in your opinion?

Note- For 40 dex build.

Also, which Chaos weapons do you find the most useful for pvp? I have a Chaos Rapier+5 which is pretty decent whilst scaled off of 10 humanity, but still doesn't seem as effective as my uchi+15.

Yep I killed em, well TheTetraSpirit did and I watched :D

Uhm I don't know, melee build I guess, I don't like casting stuff.

And No, I have no idea how scaling works with weapons.
Scaling is simple.
If a weapon has scaling, it'll have a letter(E through S) next to the corresponding stat. The higher the letter, the better the damage becomes when that stat is leveled.
However, there is a point of diminishing return, so it's best to stop at 40 for whatever stat is getting scaled.

Impose

A Call For Blood
Impose...I can't think right now. I was trying to explain stat scaling and I'm way overcomplicating it. Help me? :p
Scaling is based on letters E D C B A S.

S being highest
Diminishing returns start at 40. 50 is when it REALLY gets bad. 50 is the highest you should ever put into a stat unless you're vit gouging.

Impose, what's the best ascenscion path for bows (short, long, compound, pharis) in your opinion?

Note- For 40 dex build.

Also, which Chaos weapons do you find the most useful for pvp? I have a Chaos Rapier+5 which is pretty decent whilst scaled off of 10 humanity, but still doesn't seem as effective as my uchi+15.
Pharis +15
S scaling bow.

I barely ever use chaos weapons except on lower levels before people have good armor. Fire defense is the most common defense on armor in this game, nearly every set has extremely high fire defense. Of course you can look at the lore of this game and know why.
Generally when you chaos a weapon it's designed around a vit gouge build. So, your typical one shot weapons. Rapier, Estoc, Bandit Knife, Dagger. Weapons that have bad base damage

XBlades

To Achieve, You must Believe
LETHAL LEGEND Impose Son ov Timett
So Like its kinda hard to pvp now, since I was usually the dude with this GDLK Black knight AXE +5 and with the roll ring and just mauled everyone.. now its kinda hard to keep up with the quickness everyone else has since many players just pecker me to death.

Level 100
Str 45
Vit 40
End 40

I run Balder Body Legs +10
Viking helmet +10
Arms... I forgot lol
Black Knight Axe +5
Parry dagger

Items
Green Mosp..stamina boost..

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin
Impose, what would you suggest is the bare minimum Vitality/HP needed for SL 100? I roll with 15vit/818hp and win about 75-80% of the time at SL 64 invading as a spirit of vengeance. I'm a little weary of how to proceed when I inevitably take my build to SL100 in order to use Darkmoon Miracle. I need to go up 23 more levels in faith/attunement to meet the requirement to use the buff (10att/30faith), which would leave me with 13 levels of leeway before 100. Would it be more beneficial to put that towards vitality or strengthening the miracle and obtaining 40faith? I'm fearing 818hp may not cut it against players avg a min of 1500hp. Please advise.

Also, XBlades, what's "Green Mosp"? Freudian slip? :p

Just transferring items from your main to another account is silly and makes people fearful to even be Human.
No, what makes me fearful to be human in Dark Souls is that the online is busted. I'm constantly getting back-stabbed by people people in front of me.

I just somewhat recently beat Dark Souls (Str/Faith Knight using Artorias' Great Sword) and have started in on Demon's Souls. I have to say, so far I vastly prefer nearly everything about Demon's over Dark. If you haven't already, you should give Demon's Souls a shot.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Caution: Big Rant Ahead. #1 Complaint at the bottom.

Man, me and my brother bought Demon's Souls a few weeks ago and I was really disappointed.

The game actually had more of a narrative than Dark Souls, they just straight up tell you what's going on, but there wasn't much storyline progression, and it didn't really make sense why you were doing stuff. Kind of like "Oh you are a hero you showed up and died, now you need to collect Demon's Souls! Then you just finish 5 worlds with no stories and bam story over.

I especially realized this when
you HAD to kill Lady Astrea. I stepped back for a second and thought "why do I have to, this doesn't even make sense. What do I even need her soul for?"

ending spoiler for both games:
I really didn't like the endings in demon's souls vs dark souls, in demon's it was basically "do I want to save everybody just because, or do I want to kill everybody just because" as opposed to dark souls where the choices were both legitimately good choices based on the information you got throughout the game, not just "good guy or bad guy"

On top of that, weapon choice seemed less interesting because every weapon could go down every path, so your character never felt as specialized (weapons wise) to me.

There wasn't any incentive to PvP. You basically had to do it in NG+ since you can't invade in an area that you've cleared. Also you get basically nothing for invading.

Help with bosses was really awkward too, because there was no reason to sit around by most bosses with your summon sign down. I mean in Dark Souls I can sit in Anor Londo farming knights for souls and waiting to get invaded while my summon sign is down, and have a good time. There didn't seem to be anywhere like that in Demon Souls, especially since you can't make enemies respawn without losing your summon sign.

Related to that, it had some of my least favorite level design ever. 3-1 was literally just like 5 sections that look the exact same in a really dark level, with hard to find passages in between them, and lots of random holes that are hard to see in the dark with a really long run back. 5-2 was just obnoxious because of the swamp "here, now you move like you have over 100% equip load, can't roll, are constantly poisoned (which makes you heal for 50% less), and there are unavoidable enemies that nearly one shot you through block." None of the levels were really HARD just really ANNOYING.

Item Burden, how much do I need to say about this. SO dumb.

Spec balance was weird. Faith was 100% useless until I got Second Chance and then it was 100% OP (I died 4 times against the boss of 1-4 but Second Chanced each time..) Sorceries were SO good for the entire game. The stagger of strength weapons was useless in PvE because everything has infinite poise while attacking or casting (I'm looking at you flayers from world 3)

The final bosses of almost all of the worlds (except 1-4) were REALLY easy. Dragon King was a free win without even having to fight anything, Old Monk had a really weak AI if it didn't summon someone, and the one time it did for me it was really laggy and I still won, the storm king thing from 4-3 was just "find a safe spot and then get a free win", and 5-3 was just "shoot ten arrows and get a free win"

MOST OF ALL, my biggest complaint was that the game was SO easy if you just have a thief ring and a bow. The game turns into super joke mode. I spent 90% of my time cheesing shit out after that. The stairs to the castle in 1-4? Cheesed out all like 30 enemies. Boss of 4-2 can't do ANYTHING if you have fog ring. You can cheese out the boss of 3-2 multiple ways with a bow. 5-1 boss can't hit you if you just bow him. 5-3 was also a free win with a bow. 2-2 boss deaggros with thief ring. There are a million other situations where thief ring is stupid.

There's probably a lot more but I can't think of it right now.

On top of that, weapon choice seemed less interesting because every weapon could go down every path, so your character never felt as specialized (weapons wise) to me.
It's the exact same in Dark Souls, only there are fewer paths to choose from. I have a Regular, Fire, Lightning, Divine, Occult, Magic, Enchanted, and Chaos (Raw and Crystal are dumb) Balder Side Sword on my Hunter in Dark Souls. There are still weapons in Demon's Souls that can't be upgraded, but they are mostly the ascended ones.
There wasn't any incentive to PvP. You basically had to do it in NG+ since you can't invade in an area that you've cleared. Also you get basically nothing for invading.
See, I feel exactly the same way about invading in Dark Souls. Unless you are in certain covenants, there's no reason to invade other than to be a dick. At least in Demon's Souls, if you jack someone's shit you become human and get a health boost. What do you get in Dark Souls? Some souls (which are super easy to farm), some Humanity (which is super easy for farm), and maybe a Souvenir of Reprisal (which you can farm, though not super easily). Stone of the Ephemeral Eyes require you to manipulate word tendency and kill Black Phantoms in order to farm them, and are cost prohibitive to buy in large quantities.

Related to that, it had some of my least favorite level design ever. 3-1 was literally just like 5 sections that look the exact same in a really dark level, with hard to find passages in between them, and lots of random holes that are hard to see in the dark with a really long run back.
See, while I recognize that you're description of 3-1 is accurate, I still loved that area. I was more tense in that level than I was at any part of Dark Souls, to the point where I was jumping at ghosts. That one level alone at more personality and atmosphere than any game I've played in a good while.

Item Burden, how much do I need to say about this. SO dumb.
Yes it is.

Killphil

Without Demon's Souls there wouldn't be a Dark Souls. I personally loved Demon's Souls. Yes, it had its annoyances, but the game was fresh and new and had this rawness to it that Dark Souls does not.

You collect demon's souls because the bosses are collecting the souls of man to feed the Old One. If you kill them, you obtain their souls, and give the Old One one less demon to gather souls for it. Kill them all, and the old one brings you to its side because it senses a new, more powerful demon. Ahhh, I'm a little lax on the narrative, I haven't played in a long time.

Impose

A Call For Blood
LETHAL LEGEND Impose Son ov Timett
So Like its kinda hard to pvp now, since I was usually the dude with this GDLK Black knight AXE +5 and with the roll ring and just mauled everyone.. now its kinda hard to keep up with the quickness everyone else has since many players just pecker me to death.

Level 100
Str 45
Vit 40
End 40

I run Balder Body Legs +10
Viking helmet +10
Arms... I forgot lol
Black Knight Axe +5
Parry dagger

Items
Green Mosp..stamina boost..
sounds like you just need to adjust to the changes in the game.
don't just swing. react.

you have a parry dagger, use it

Impose

A Call For Blood
Impose, what would you suggest is the bare minimum Vitality/HP needed for SL 100? I roll with 15vit/818hp and win about 75-80% of the time at SL 64 invading as a spirit of vengeance. I'm a little weary of how to proceed when I inevitably take my build to SL100 in order to use Darkmoon Miracle. I need to go up 23 more levels in faith/attunement to meet the requirement to use the buff (10att/30faith), which would leave me with 13 levels of leeway before 100. Would it be more beneficial to put that towards vitality or strengthening the miracle and obtaining 40faith? I'm fearing 818hp may not cut it against players avg a min of 1500hp. Please advise.

Also, XBlades, what's "Green Mosp"? Freudian slip? :p
faith builds you should always take faith to 40. it increases your power massively.

that said at least get 1k health

XBlades

Impose
Yeah its kindve hard to react in this game if you havent noticed... especially since the lag is unbearable at times and I got people from fkin ukraine up in this bich fighting me. I use to fish for bs or at least do some pre emptive strikes to see what there next move is..Its easy once I get one hit in because the stun lock for the axe is gdlk.. but it has its downs with the recovery being very slow.. still though I do like to wack some morons with this thing..

Impose

A Call For Blood
Impose
Yeah its kindve hard to react in this game if you havent noticed... especially since the lag is unbearable at times and I got people from fkin ukraine up in this bich fighting me. I use to fish for bs or at least do some pre emptive strikes to see what there next move is..Its easy once I get one hit in because the stun lock for the axe is gdlk.. but it has its downs with the recovery being very slow.. still though I do like to wack some morons with this thing..
If you're against someone who has the connection from hell, just chain them lol

As for that axe, I never liked it, never thought it was ever remotely useful. Thats just me. It's saving grace is its ne handed rolling attack. 360 attack coverage.

XBlades

Yeah, but it seems like in this game.. speed in the fight will always win rather power.. which is cool i guess.. but then you got some bs players that will just stab and roll away, it feels like shit when you cant touch them given the circumstance of the lag as well..

Impose

A Call For Blood
Yeah, but it seems like in this game.. speed in the fight will always win rather power.. which is cool i guess.. but then you got some bs players that will just stab and roll away, it feels like shit when you cant touch them given the circumstance of the lag as well..
Watch the pattern they like to poke. When they are coming in. Swing. Trade. A giant axe wins in a trade over a small weapon.

Or just stay mobile and bait out long attacks.

I'm sorry guys, I don't have a TV in my room so I don't have access to dark souls atm to teach you guys these things first hand. As soon as I get that problem solved I'll be up and showing you guys how this all works