The Newest Mortal Kombat (9) Tier List

Status
Not open for further replies.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Instant air Fans?

Get blown up by acid spit. You get knocked out of the air and he can get his balls out, then you're stuck blocking and it's hard to regain ground in the zoning game.

Sasuga

Noob
Get blown up by acid spit. You get knocked out of the air and he can get his balls out, then you're stuck blocking and it's hard to regain ground in the zoning game.
Really? No trade? Seems like a bad trade for Reptile. The advantage goes to Kitana, she can spam him all day.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Really? No trade? Seems like a bad trade for Reptile. The advantage goes to Kitana, she can spam him all day.

How is that not a trade in Reptile's favor, he scores a knockdown! To avoid this she has to use ground fans which are slow. She can not spam all day, she can keep up if she out plays him at best.

just a few things i think have to change about the matchups

kitana vs kenshi = 5-5 kitana does not have to zone to win and the range on d1 make it easier for her to get in

sonya vs jax = 5-5 me and cdjr play this matchup all the time and we both agree is 5-5 because jax do not have to come after sonya in this matchup sonya has to come after jax because beat her in at zoning without the need of using meter because his grown punch goes under her rings and even if you trade with it he he does more damage so she can not zone him and when it comes to the rushdown game she can easily uppercut jax between his f41 luckily for jax he can uppertcut her block strings as well and check her d4 with ex du4 so you will see a lot of pokes, grabs and jump kicks to grab in this matchup

DanCock

Cock Master!!
Hmmm interesting it sounds just like the sindel vs reptile match up, basically prevent him from getting a force ball out by instant air fireballing like crazy your chances of winning is high, but if he gets one on screen the chances Of winning goes wayyyy down.

I thought it would be easier for kitana vs reptile since kit has a better rush down game.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Skarlet is F tier. Based on what? So far you, Reo and Tom Brady seem to have prepatch knowledge of Skarlet tactics that barely qualifies as basic. I'll give you a protip: EX Red Slide gives near-super armor into 40% juggle.

I'm not impressed with this tier list in the slightest. Skarlet bring F tier makes me laugh - proof that the list is purely opinionated. Jade = Skarlet. What? When did Jade get 48% midscreen meterless, 50% corner meterless resets, an anti air and overhead xray, superarmor screen dash, anti rush down aerial dagger, and rush down combo linking via EX dagger?

It bothers me that you don't know the character so you just put her at the bottom. You have already admitted you have no experience fighting her, so say that instead. When you put her in bottom tier simply because you don't know where she should go, it makes you look like a putz.
You are listing Skarlet's X-Ray as to why she is superior to Jade? Really? You are a fool.

All you've done thus far is bitch about the authors of this tier list. If you want to be taken seriously, stop bitching and start explaining. In particular, address Skarlet's terribly toned down zoning game and discuss her weak offensive game. Also, talk about the set up for these damaging combos.

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
Hey Dave.nice list and good effort, though i have some correction i must say

-Kenshi is not a bad matchup for kitana at all. this match is 5 - 5 due to Kitana's New tech. also Kenshi vs reptile is 5 - 5 due to kenshi Corner full control. also Night wolf is a HORRID match for kenshi (6 - 4 NW favor)
-Mil is A HORRIBLE MATCHUP for kenshi....this is not even near kenshi favor.this match is 6 - 4 Mil favor (mil vs Kenshi)
-Sektor is not a bad matchup for reptile at all and never was! ex slide as well makes it far easier. this match is pure 5 - 5
-Csz is Anti Reptile
-Kabal DOES have bad match ups
-Jax is S tier.....jax has SO FEW bad match ups : you see the list you mentioned? Johnny Cage, Mileena, Raiden, Sonya
all of those are 5 - 5 if not even slightly jax favor for Cage, and sonya
-smoke is no where A tier. Reptile is anti Smoke as well as kenshi. could be 5.5 - 4.5 their favor if you dont want to go extreme to 6 - 4
-Cage vs reptile = 5 - 5
-Sektor is no where near A teir. also subzero vs sektor is a 5- 5. SOnya and Jax are Anti Sektor and kabal is a 5 - 5 against sektor

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
You are listing Skarlet's X-Ray as to why she is superior to Jade? Really? You are a fool.

All you've done thus far is bitch about the authors of this tier list. If you want to be taken seriously, stop bitching and start explaining. In particular, address Skarlet's terribly toned down zoning game and discuss her weak offensive game. Also, talk about the set up for these damaging combos.
Yes, her X-Ray is a move, and it has times where it's useful, and last I checked X-Rays were used even in tournament level play. Did I say it was her best tool? Nope. You might say her 40+% meterless midscreens are her best tool. You might say her super armor EX Red Slide is her best tool. She has a lot of tools at her disposal. You can't point at one specifically and say "this is their best tool" with any character, because any one move can be countered by something else (except EX Red Slide, which goes through a majority of other characters specials...ok maybe that's her best tool :))

I'm working on compiling videos that will show her strengths, as well as explanations for which specials and normals are strong and how to use them properly. It takes time, and I apologize because I have a life to see to as well.

It bothers me that you have this high-and-mighty attitude toward a character that you clearly have no post-patch high level play experience against. You don't main Skarlet. Nor does Tom Brady, nor Reo. Stop and think for a second - Nightwolf is a bad matchup for Skarlet? Please explain. You're the one presenting your tier list to the masses, and so far you've been presenting the "she used to be better!!" argument. I'm the one who gets to ask you to explain yourself.

And stop using her dagger nerf as your sole reason as to why she is the worst character in the game - my personal opinion is you loved the prepatch dagger cancel because you could use a hitbox and lock any character down and you felt really good about that. Then NRS fixed that, and since you hadn't actually learned Skarlet, you dropped her and say that she sucks.

And for the record, a tier list made by 3 people is complete nonsense anyways. This is made up of personal experience. Of 3 people. What do you want me to do with this tier list? Is this meant to be the end all be all of MK9? Should we take this list to mean Sub Zero loses to Skarlet? Kabal never loses to anybody? From what I've seen from tournament replays, Jax owns Kabal. What does "bad matchup" mean?

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
Have to say something, this list is really far from accurate...but it's work! it's progress. through out time it adds up. which is good. these thread are good for discussion and understanding WHY or HOW....so i find this thread very legit even if the tier list is off. it gets updated ,right? that makes it well the effort and appreciation

As for skarlet, i agree with ninj. skarlet no where F tier at all!! period. she's a very decent character. and sheeva and baraka and stryker higher? doesnt really make much of sense

also, Stryker vs Kenshi = 5 - 5 (just FYI).

Death

Noob
I agree with teef. I dont agree that Mils only bad matchup is vs Kenshi. I think her only bad matchup is KL and 6-4 in KLs favor.

PPJ

()
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Hey Dave.nice list and good effort, though i have some correction i must say

-Sektor is not a bad matchup for reptile at all and never was! ex slide as well makes it far easier. this match is pure 5 - 5
-Sektor is no where near A teir. also subzero vs sektor is a 5- 5. SOnya and Jax are Anti Sektor and kabal is a 5 - 5 against sektor
finally someone who understands that sektor is a bit overrated

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
just a few things i think have to change about the matchups

kitana vs kenshi = 5-5 kitana does not have to zone to win and the range on d1 make it easier for her to get in

sonya vs jax = 5-5 me and cdjr play this matchup all the time and we both agree is 5-5 because jax do not have to come after sonya in this matchup sonya has to come after jax because beat her in at zoning without the need of using meter because his grown punch goes under her rings and even if you trade with it he he does more damage so she can not zone him and when it comes to the rushdown game she can easily uppercut jax between his f41 luckily for jax he can uppertcut her block strings as well and check her d4 with ex du4 so you will see a lot of pokes, grabs and jump kicks to grab in this matchup
Really sonya vs jax 5 - 5? hmm impressive :)

Slimjim: Ya man i know. actually i dont see sektor being overrated. i see that he's not even mentioned throughout the long run. Sektor is a really good char, his problem is that he got all the tools but all of them are average and equally distributed. that's why u wont ever see him top at tournaments.

and man, add my account, we should play some . we only fought like one set thats all....add xxteefxx please

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
Another PS i want to add, and i shall not give any describtion because people dont want me to spoil it (hint hint @ NEC)
Quan Chi is A THREAT!!....no more after that lol. but the place were u put him in the tier....hmmm i think it can be changed. we will see though

bipolar_shango

" Bros before Hoes"
In my experience Sektor blows Subzero up for attempting anything! (I play a SUPER lame Sektor) Slide = Flame burn, Iceball= Tele uppercut into 30-40% combo, IceClone = whatever (If i'm close enough, i punish with S.Missile or Flame/ bait slide then flame), If Subzero tries to rush down "zone" with B1, D4, Straight missile-"Flame bait" :p You get the picture.. Once i get life lead all i do is run away and punish all day.. This is matchup definitely in Sektors favour.. Unless i've been playing trash subzero players

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
I still don't think Smoke loses to Kung Lao.

And after playing Check and Maxter's Raiden, I don't think he loses to Raiden either.

Both are 5-5

Error

DF2+R2
I don't know why I didn't post this on here before, but a prominent Gamefaqs poster gave his input on the current tier list.
Vlad said:
Your entire list with the exception of Kitana is completely false... Raiden has one of the slowest teleports in the game, and it is HIGHLY punishable.

Cyrax is a broken character that is consistently, and CURRENTLY in the process of being patched.

Mileena is an annoying character that has an excellent D-4, a ridiculous teleport, and an ability to start a juggle off of anything. She could fart on you and start a juggle, but she does VERY little damage, and she cannot seem to beat certain characters what so ever.

Kabal... meh, he has mediocre zoning. Many characters have a better zoning game. He is most definitely not a good anti-zoner. Infact, if anything, he's more like Johnny Cage. Take away meter, and zone him out. He's a godlike frametrapper, that's about it. Reptile is a better zoner than he is.

1) Shang Tsung
Strength: Great Resets, Excellent Zoning capability, medium to ridiculously high damage, slow-to-fast speed. Good mixups, excellent frametrap capability, uppercut kombos, and the ability to move you all the way into a corner off of ONE juggle.
Weakness: Terrible at escaping pressure, can be outzoned by some characters quite easily.
Description: Looks can be deceiving

2) Sheeva
Strength: Some of the most damaging kombos in the game, can start a juggle off of anything. Unblockable resets. Armor on everything when enhanced. Punishes nearly everyone. Excellent zoning, and antizoning capability.
Weakness: Semi slow, cannot frametrap, poor against Mileena, Baraka, Quan Chi, and Raiden.
Description: She is a very very underestimated character. She has a lot of potential, and can punish some of the hard-to-punish characters, such as Cyrax, Sektor, and Sub Zero.

3) Quan Chi
Strength: Rune Traps, one of the best teleports in the game. Godlike mixups, can start a kombo/reset off of anything. Can trap you in resets and frametraps forever until you die.
Weakness: He's slow, and he can't punish as well as some other characters. Impossible to beat Baraka. Hard to beat Mileena.
Description: An all around good character, unfortunately, they need to buff, and to nerf him, nerf his rune traps, buff his mind control. As is, it is literally impossible to punish Baraka unless you're expecting him to spin, or charge. His mind control is too slow.

4) Sindel
Strength: Best zoner in the game with relatively small weaknesses. Excellent mixups. Moderate to high damage. Extremely good frametraps.
Weakness: Smoke, Reptile, Ermac.
Description: Her U-4 is an excellent anti-air, can start a juggle. Low fireball gives her multiple mixup capabilities. She is a truly oustanding character, that is as fast as she is deadly.

(I personally believe Ermac and Kitana are tied for the 5th place.)

5) Kitana
Strength: 3rd best zoning capability in the game. Able to shut you out with her low-1. Excellent anti-air. Excellent anti-ground. High damage unbreakable juggles. Good frametrapping game.
Weakness: Punishable fly.
Description: She is truly hard to punish without the proper character, and you have to fight her intelligently. Block, dash, block, punish.

5) Ermac
Strength: 5th most damaging juggles in the game. Mediocre zoning capability. Excellent rushdown and frametrapping ability, with nearly every kombo able to stagger. Best anti-air in the game. Levitate mixups that are extremely useful. A reset usable at the end of almost every juggle.
Weakness: Highly punishable. Hard to escape overheads. Easily outzoned. Slow teleport.
Description: He has plenty of tools for every situation, but like Shang Tsung, you cannot make mistakes, and you must play him very smartly.

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
I don't know why I didn't post this on here before, but a prominent Gamefaqs poster gave his input on the current tier list.
This guy knows his shit. Sheeva can combo off of anything and sindel has the best frametraps in the game. Yep.

Error

DF2+R2
i used to think gamefaqs members were very ignorant. I still do but i used to as well.
Most have a general idea of what they're talking about, this guy on the other hand came out of nowhere like last month and started preaching the gospel of frame trapping and skillful playing . We've been trying to get rid of him ever since, but his posts are just so lulz.

Status
Not open for further replies.