What's new

The most recent REO podcast episode is huge, and we should talk about it

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
Everyone wants to talk about fighting games like there was some golden age where every game was a 5-5 paradise of fair mechanics, ignoring things like:

-O. Sagat having inescapable corner pressure against certain characters
-Bob vs Bob
-3S Chun-Li winning every matchup except one
-Nomad Dash Cancel pressure
-TK Lightning Legs
-Ares getting block infinite by Superman at round start
-Cable/Sentinel/Storm, 1/4 of the cast is viable
-Raiden's 40% 50/50
-Gamerbee vs Infiltration, aka Focus Backdash, Ultra 2
-Bardock/GT Goku/Whoever, Beam Assist/Super Dash
-Prolly some GG/BB/P4A/Unist shit

Every game has had head-ass bullshit that is "unfair" and "braindead", especially in online ranked against the unwashed masses. That's not even including the fraudulent low/mid level strats like SFIV T. Hawk and El Fuerte employed, nor is it including completely unviable, bad characters.

50/50 high throws, with reactable startup, different oki, long recovery, and corners to throw into are not broken. Theres clear counter play to them and clear risk.

Down pokes are irritating, but irritating is a 100% viable element in fighting games. If someone is just mashing them out, block it, return the poke, jail them into damage or pressure

"Fuck Neutral" is such a dumb concept. Sorry every match isn't Ryu vs Fei Long. If you were actually playing neutral you would be taking into account Jacqui's dash punch or whatever, not getting hit by Scorpion teleport and going "he should only be able to walk back/whiff punish"

MK could probably use a little more busted shit tbh

NeroOps

Death Before Dishonor
The only things bad about ki is that its incomplete and that the game isn't that balanced.
The people who hate on it is mostly those who just dont like the gameplay or they owned a ps4 and were mad that it was never released on that console.

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
where are the 50/50s in sf4?
Wtf lol

Seth's entire design
Ibuki Kunai vortex
Zangief green hand advantage
Dudley overhead resets
El Fuerte cross up tostada press, tortilla spin, etc
Ken ex tatsu advantage
Abel Marsailles Roll
T Hawk condor spire advantage
Makoto
Juri Feng Shui Engine
Dan's incredibly fraudulent shoryuken/throw mixups

Ever played it?

Talked a lot of shit about it about how the developer were stupid the game was shit etc. All under the same umbrella that REO and Tom are using of the "people are positive about it because it's their career".
Really? The whole podcast he was talking about how much he loves the game and kept using it as an example of balance

portent

Noob
Once again, people are flat out missing the point of this podcast and why this type of criticism is so important.

Again, for the uninitiated, Aris was one of the first, if not THE first to tell us that we should not accept the product we got in MK9. He had the balls to speak out against the things that were simply unacceptable in a modern fighting game.

Every NRS fan and MK9 fan was like, "GASP!!! DON'T TALK ABOUT OUR (TOTALLY BROKEN) GAME LIKE THAT!!!"

The truth is, MK9 was a broken mess. Fun, but a broken mess. His criticism of the game was harsh, and a hard pill to swallow for us MK fans who desperately wanted MK9 to be what it clearly was not. It was not balanced, not even close. It was not a well programmed game, not even close.

It WAS, fun, however, brokeness and bugginess aside. But the rightfully deserved criticism is so necessary. We need criticism for improvement. We needed input from outside the rose tinted MK glasses to point out the problems and what needed to be fixed moving forward in MK9 and future games.

With each game, we have seen some improvement and true growth from NRS as a studio.

So, @REO @M2Dave and @Tom Brady please keep criticizing. Your input, experience and opinions are important and valid because you see beyond the short game and know what is needed for the long term success of the games made by our developer of choice.

xKMMx

Banned
I would shove my head up their ass, like some other here, but mine is too fat - you feel me, right?
Lol I mean you kinda did with your last post. I get it though you have trust that by the end of the game life cycle it will all be straightened out. Just in time for us to all get exicted for how sick IJ3 will look on the next gen consoles and then find out it plays like shit and is a total zone fest.

craftycheese

I tried to throw a yo-yo away. It was impossible.
That's not a podcast then, it's just a video. The definition of a podcast is an audio file that you download on your phone and listen to it as you drive, without spending any of your phone's data. If I do that with an hour plus video it'd consume a ton of bandwidth. TC should change the topic title as it is misleading. I got all excited that I could download this on my phone and listen to it on my way to lunch or something, only to find out I can't.
I mean the video is labeled a podcast. You'd have to talk to Rro to get it changed. I've always wondered why they call it a podcast too

Once again, people are flat out missing the point of this podcast and why this type of criticism is so important.

Again, for the uninitiated, Aris was one of the first, if not THE first to tell us that we should not accept the product we got in MK9. He had the balls to speak out against the things that were simply unacceptable in a modern fighting game.

Every NRS fan and MK9 fan was like, "GASP!!! DON'T TALK ABOUT OUR (TOTALLY BROKEN) GAME LIKE THAT!!!"

The truth is, MK9 was a broken mess. Fun, but a broken mess. His criticism of the game was harsh, and a hard pill to swallow for us MK fans who desperately wanted MK9 to be what it clearly was not. It was not balanced, not even close. It was not a well programmed game, not even close.

It WAS, fun, however, brokeness and bugginess aside. But the rightfully deserved criticism is so necessary. We need criticism for improvement. We needed input from outside the rose tinted MK glasses to point out the problems and what needed to be fixed moving forward in MK9 and future games.

With each game, we have seen some improvement and true growth from NRS as a studio.

So, @REO @M2Dave and @Tom Brady please keep criticizing. Your input, experience and opinions are important and valid because you see beyond the short game and know what is needed for the long term success of the games made by our developer of choice.
Is that the same Aris who defended Tekken 7 netcode and the FD DLC?

The only things bad about ki is that its incomplete and that the game isn't that balanced.
The people who hate on it is mostly those who just dont like the gameplay or they owned a ps4 and were mad that it was never released on that console.
Incomplete how, out of curiosity? With respect to balance, everyone in the Killer Instinct community that I've chatted with seems to hold the opinion that the game is very well balanced, and that every character is tournament viable.

Also there was nothing constructive and never is in their vid It's often stupid complains to complain stupidly.

Ck AeroVoid

Mk Casual, KI God
Incomplete how, out of curiosity? With respect to balance, everyone in the Killer Instinct community that I've chatted with seems to hold the opinion that the game is very well balanced, and that every character is tournament viable.
I play KI VERY Often and Have since Release, So I can attest to this

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
get it though you have trust that by the end of the game life cycle it will all be straightened out
You don't.

Not only the game is stale, but the amount if bs, that has been let out, is blowing my mind, harder then the best hooker I ever had, period. MKX gave me emotional cancer, but at least it was fun.

Cheers mate!

NeroOps

Death Before Dishonor
Every character doesn't have a ultimate which makes it incomplete. Also wasn't it stated that Eagle was broken.

Does that somehow negate him being correct about MK9?
My point is that people who uses this train of thought are never objective. He was negative on MK because he loves it but he loves Tekken so he isn't?

With or without Aris shitting on MK9 the game would have been changed because there are tons of people who give proper criticism same with MK11. giving feedback isn't bad it's good but being a jackass with your opinion helps no one. There is nothing they have said in this video that hasn't been said by other player in a better way. The same people who they say can't criticize the game.

My point is that they is a difference between criticizing the game and just being a jerk.

Every character doesn't have a ultimate which makes it incomplete. Also wasn't it stated that Eagle was broken.
For Ultimates, I see that as a bonus thing that was added in for several characters. It doesn't affect that actual gameplay/mechanics of a match so that doesn't bother me. Same with several Season 3 characters not have stages.

And no, Eagle is not broken. Aria, Rash, Fulgore, and Mira are often characters you see at the top, and Sadira and Kan-Ra at the bottom, but they're all tournament viable.