What's new

The most recent REO podcast episode is huge, and we should talk about it

People don't really see the little things people do on stream. Be it amazing defense, positioning or mind games. To most people it's just strike/throw and every combo a pro does to the viewer is "I can do that combo too, it's easy".

I think that shit is a problem. If somebody can do the fuzzy guard on Erron Black's strings or do an option select that special cancels on hit and does nothing on block, then he put in a massive amount of time into the game and NOBODY is ever gonna notice what kinda sick shit he just did.

That's the problem with removing any skill ceiling from combos. Shit doesn't look hype because everybody can do these shitty combos and both SFV and MK11 both fall into that pit.

All the labwork in this game is on defense or other unhype shit nobody who watches or plays casually pays attention to like covering wakeup options or option selects.

I can appreciate the game but I get why a lotta people don't.
I don’t mind simplicity, what I do mind is not being able to anti air, inconsistent block stun, hitbox and hurtbox issues, the ridiculous amount of wake up options. Game has too many issues, I draw the line when I can’t punish things half the time cuz the block stun feels like I’m moving in mud

haketh

Noob
Okay dropping the snarkiness I would give this a listen if it was just REO, Dave, & Slips. I like watching Tom’s streams but he’s not exactly always the best at getting things across in an articulate way & fuck PaulB that dudes a tool.

I pretty strongly disagree with the stuff I’ve heard from REO about 11 but he’s no Dummy so I’m down to hear it out. Shit makes me miss when stuff was written out.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
I love MK11 but I also realize that there are issues with the gameplay. Out of all of them though, Slips was the only one was made good points and articulated them well. Brady was just yelling (I get his passion but it does nothing for a constructive discourse) and the other guy that was vehemently defending MK11 was just refusing to see the issues.
  1. Grabs: They are probably the dumbest thing in the game. I dont mind having to resort to them since opening someone up can be very hard but IMO, they should be techable by pressing the grab button, regardless of direction. And, their KB equivalent should NOT do 310 dmg. 200 at best but 310 for a 50/50 is absolutely ridiculous.
  2. I dont mind the many options we have when we want to wake up. It adds variety and I dont see it as guessing as slips was describing. There is an element of guessing sure (everything does when you can't read a persons mind) but it should be based more on reads than anything. A person with a full meter vs a person with no meter will have their options drastically reduced. Waking up buttons was present in previous games too so that doesnt bother me at all.
  3. IMO I find mid hitting command grabs to be a problem (thinking of Kotal here) regardless of the tier standing of the character. It's a move for which the ONLY defense is to jump. Compared with regular grabs that can be ducked, jumped or teched, the only defensive decision you can take for a command grab is an unsafe jump that can cost you a serious amount of health if you miss-read the opponent.
  4. I agree that some stuff should be massively punishable. The risk/reward in this game is a bit out of whack for certain characters.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Give leeway too no anti airs, fuck.neutral moves, exploding shit in your face from far range that cant be punished, moves that according to frame data can be punished but in lracfice aren't, I mean.....just keep being stubborn....we are seeing this.
I am not being stubborn. I express what I genuinely believe about the game. Besides, I have been expressing my views about Mortal Kombat's flawed blocking mechanics since Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance so I agree with Tom on this topic.

My main objection is with people like you who preach footsies and/or who insinuate that Mortal Kombat 11 is an "anti-neutral" game. The reality is...

1. The Mortal Kombat franchise has never revolved around traditional footsies, but Mortal Kombat 11 is the most honest fighting game that NRS has ever released. The game actually plays very similar to Street Fighter 5.

2. If people wanted to play a fighting game that is entirely based on footsies, they would be playing Virtua Fighter, but they do not. Such games neither sell well nor does the audience want to watch them.

3. People lose, get salty, and label all the best footsies tools in the game as "fuck neutral tools". I am not excusing a move like Geras's low sand trap, by the way. I knew this move was going to be powerful the first week of the game's release.

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
They only ever seem to do YouTube videos
That's not a podcast then, it's just a video. The definition of a podcast is an audio file that you download on your phone and listen to it as you drive, without spending any of your phone's data. If I do that with an hour plus video it'd consume a ton of bandwidth. TC should change the topic title as it is misleading. I got all excited that I could download this on my phone and listen to it on my way to lunch or something, only to find out I can't.

Gaxkang

Banned
It's got a lot of issues that could be fixed but I don't expect to be in its lifespan. And when there can be fights where what the other person does is not punishable and what that means to win, it just doesn't strike me as a real fighting game then. As what it means to win against certain cheese things, again, not so much like a fighting game.

I view it as the WWE of fighting games.

ruthlezz997

YOU TASK A THUNDER GOD!
I have issues with MK11 the same way I have issues with every fighting game ever made. As I've said before, this game has a few aspects that kind of - as a gut reaction - take me out of caring whether or not I win or improve. That's bad.

I had a huge issue with SFIV when I started playing it: vortexes. But Capcom fixed it in Ultra through adding the delayed getup mechanic. It made the game SO much more enjoyable not just getting wrecked by Akuma for guessing wrong over and over. Capcom understood that the community felt the same way and improved their game by changing the universal mechanics.

Point is, it's good to talk about the issues we individually have with the game and hope the devs fix them. I think NRS cares and I think they've done a really good job with the game so far. The oki, poke system, jumping attacks/anti-airs, and variation system could use a ton of overhaul but I don't think it's out of the question to hope or expect those things will change in the future.

It remains to be seen if NRS' long-term support for this game means going through several iterations where mechanics are tweaked and the game is opened up...or if it means spreading out the DLC packs over a longer time, changing nothing, and essentially doing the same old NRS cycle but slower.
Long term support for NRS means giving people constant DLC characters and skins. Thats what they meant. Balance wise,new mechanics,fixing overpowered moves etc. Not gonna happen.

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
I am not being stubborn. I express what I genuinely believe about the game. Besides, I have been expressing my views about Mortal Kombat's flawed blocking mechanics since Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance so I agree with Tom on this topic.

My main objection is with people like you who preach footsies and/or who insinuate that Mortal Kombat 11 is an "anti-neutral" game. The reality is...

1. The Mortal Kombat franchise has never revolved around traditional footsies, but Mortal Kombat 11 is the most honest fighting game that NRS has ever released. The game actually plays very similar to Street Fighter 5.

2. If people wanted to play a fighting game that is entirely based on footsies, they would be playing Virtua Fighter, but they do not. Such games neither sell well nor does the audience want to watch them.

3. People lose, get salty, and label all the best footsies tools in the game as "fuck neutral tools". I am not excusing a move like Geras's low sand trap, by the way. I knew this move was going to be powerful the first week of the game's release.
But SFV has anti airs and teachable throws. If mk11 had this it would be a huge step forward.

50/50 throws are silly.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
NRS shouldn't even make fighting games anymore this community literally hates everything:confused:
Don't worry, this community represents only 1% of potential customers/clients market share on sales numbers for NRS ..... they always can count in with the casuals to save them, hehe ! :p:joker:

M2Dave

Zoning Master
That's not a podcast then, it's just a video. The definition of a podcast is an audio file that you download on your phone and listen to it as you drive, without spending any of your phone's data. If I do that with an hour plus video it'd consume a ton of bandwidth. TC should change the topic title as it is misleading. I got all excited that I could download this on my phone and listen to it on my way to lunch or something, only to find out I can't.
I will talk to REO about creating an audio file.

But SFV has anti airs and teachable throws. If mk11 had this it would be a huge step forward.

50/50 throws are silly.
Street Fighter 5's basic mix up revolves around strike and throw, which cannot be teched on reaction. The mix up is very similar to Mortal Kombat 11's.

Crush counters kind of function like krushing blows. Although V-Triggers have bars unlike fatal blows, their comeback mechanics are equally prevalent in both games.

Mortal Kombat 11 has anti-aerial attacks. What Mortal Kombat 11 does not have, or has a lot less of, is Mortal Kombat 9's jab anti-aerial attacks. I also hope you realize that Capcom has been nerfing anti-aerial jabs since Street Fighter 5's release. They were very easy to use and led to left / right 50/50 resets.

jmt

Noob
Lmao at the people calling them hasbeens, They would probably still wash you.

Mike Tyson can’t compete anymore but could most likely still give the average Joe Schmoe boxer a trip to the hospital.

Jordan is old as hell and can’t go with the big dogs but he’s murdering all the people who are 20 years younger than him at his basket ball camp lol.
makes zero sense....good job

DarkSado

Noob
well i disagree with some of your points but its also my opinion

50/50s are necessary in fighting games or els the game will be very fkn boring. nobody wants to play a game that you can react to everything and block everything.

for the random fatal blows they needs to be checked at but more on the punish side example noobsaibot and kabal fb been safe ? the speed of the fb doesnt really matter its ok its a comeback mechanic but having armor and been safe is what the issue is imo.

hitbox,anti airs and punishing that i agree. its not normal that you cant punish a -10 with a 9f after getting out of block. in KI,MC2 and even SC i can 100% punish everything without effort.
I not a fan of 50/50s but I understand why it needed. every game I know have a 50 50 character archetype.

Ah the REO and TOm Brady podcast or that podcast I listen to and I don't even know why. I always disagree with their points and find them frustrating but I always listen to it partially at least. And this time they invited Paul B I can't even take his opinions seriously after all the KI stuff

Ah the REO and TOm Brady podcast or that podcast I listen to and I don't even know why. I always disagree with their points and find them frustrating but I always listen to it partially at least. And this time they invited Paul B I can't even take his opinions seriously after all the KI stuff
What did he do in Killer Instinct?