What's new

Breakthrough - Sub-Zero SZ 4Oct patch thread.

Jeffrey Wolf

YouTube: Jeffrey B Wolf
Does anyone know an optimal combo for raw EX Slide with Aura for Unbreakable?

Aura, EX Slide, NJP, JIP, Run, 123, Slide

Gives 23% or 21% with using Aura mid combo. Is that the highest possible, or is there a way to squeeze out a few more %?
Midsreen, ending in 1, B12~Slide does 24%, but it can be tight, so the version you've listed is usually best. You can also Aura and end in B12~Burst for 23% if you want one more pip of meter, but it's usually not worth the trade off of losing the setup Slide gives you.

Corner, you get more damage of course.

Jeffrey Wolf

Okay, actually, NJP, run, D2, run, F4~Slide is 25%! Thanks for asking. I hadn't tried this last one before. New max damage =)

Edit: Needs further testing, but is likely only male specific.

Edit: Last one, you can wait for the opponent to fall from the Freeze and then catch them with B12, 123~Slide for 24%. So, yeah, there are some ways to sneak out a few more percent, but most are pretty tough to hit in a real match, so 123~Slide is the midscreen BNB ender.

Last edited:

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
I think it's actually possible to do these following combos:

Aura, NJP, JIP~1, B12xxBurst
Aura, NJP, 242, B12xxBurst (haven't tested it, though)
Aura, NJP, JIP~1, F12/112 (for KO ending)
Aura, NJP~D2~B12xxBurst (Note that the NJP juggles slightly far the opponent. I haven't tested it to see if it's viable)

Can someone test their DMG percentage, because I don't remember them at all? Thanks!

Note that the "~" indicates the RUN input.

boba_buster

Noob saibot
Also, I hope everyone thinks the way you do, and only the die hard UB players keep using him. I doubt that will happen though, as he's very viable now.
Sadly he doesn't , 5-5 at best , once your in the corner GM can jus mix u after a jip and make your parry useless , and he can just whiff normals to bait out the parry and punish you when the clone is in front of you
Edit : meant to quote your comment about the GM UB MU

Lokheit

Noob
I think UB looks really strong too, probably better than Cryo, not sure about GM. I could be wrong here and it's really hard to judge as each variation now has its own identity and do completly different things. Cryo with the tick throws even if he still struggles at some stuff, becomes deadly at close distance and is a walking mind game, UB in the new meta is one of the few character that can punish gaps and trade in the neutral for full combo in both cases (almost safe parry and armored slide), GM is still a setup monster and even if most characters got a double armor move, many of the meta changes benefit him.

Overal the character as a whole looks good, with the right amount of weaknesses to keep him in check, I've said it before, it reminds me of how you could see any Kotal Kahn variation at a tournament without any of them being S tier and that's the standard any character should aim at.

What would you more experienced sub players recommend to use as anti air?

S1? D2?

D2 works well, while S1 is a bit iffy at times depending on the jump distance/arch. But works very well for cross ups.

I know UB can convert off of a S1 anti air into a full combo. But I have no clue what it is. What do you guys use/do?

Tender

Noob
What would you more experienced sub players recommend to use as anti air?

S1? D2?

D2 works well, while S1 is a bit iffy at times depending on the jump distance/arch. But works very well for cross ups.

I know UB can convert off of a S1 anti air into a full combo. But I have no clue what it is. What do you guys use/do?
S1 d2 r good for close jump in and cross ups, but mb slide is best for ub as anti air takes a bit of practice but once u get it is full combo or position switch or even regular slide at the corner just for position switch and is far enough for u to reset yourself to do aura

S1 d2 r good for close jump in and cross ups, but mb slide is best for ub as anti air takes a bit of practice but once u get it is full combo or position switch or even regular slide at the corner just for position switch and is far enough for u to reset yourself to do aura
Very interesting. On accident I used slide on a jumping opponent and actually managed to nick him out of the air. I just thought it was a fluke! I'm definitely going to lab this. Thanks.

hkriderz

Lin Kuei Scum, yellow robot enthusiast
Try this combo on female characters:

b2 242 1 1 f1 xx Ice Clone dash njp j2 f12 - 32%

@flappysamyhamy @Rolling_Toaster
Yeah that's one of the more consistent ones. Its a tight link tho, and I usually go for the guaranteed b2 242 f12 or b2 b2 d1 f12. I like the simplicity and consistency. Plus 3% extra is no biggie.

We just have to accept there wont be any relatively 100% consistent simple reclone combos besides maybe like b3 clone or this one (both about 90% consistent). By that I mean a high execution barrier or height restrictions. There's still more to find though.

DR.Innuendo

Kitana, Kenshi, Triborg

Gilbagz

Joker here~
I think UB looks really strong too, probably better than Cryo, not sure about GM. I could be wrong here and it's really hard to judge as each variation now has its own identity and do completly different things. Cryo with the tick throws even if he still struggles at some stuff, becomes deadly at close distance and is a walking mind game, UB in the new meta is one of the few character that can punish gaps and trade in the neutral for full combo in both cases (almost safe parry and armored slide), GM is still a setup monster and even if most characters got a double armor move, many of the meta changes benefit him.

Overal the character as a whole looks good, with the right amount of weaknesses to keep him in check, I've said it before, it reminds me of how you could see any Kotal Kahn variation at a tournament without any of them being S tier and that's the standard any character should aim at.
Was thinking the exact same thing. Unbreakable is a meta breaker right. Not broken meta breaker, but dodged the universal nerfs.
His damage output one bar off footsie coversions are super good. Furthermore, can play turtle against people who zone him out. Which helps a tonne in this neutral/zoning meta.

Jeffrey Wolf

Sadly he doesn't , 5-5 at best , once your in the corner GM can jus mix u after a jip and make your parry useless , and he can just whiff normals to bait out the parry and punish you when the clone is in front of you
Edit : meant to quote your comment about the GM UB MU
There's no reason for UB to end up in the corner though. And, if he does, Parry gets him out. Sure, GM can bait the Parry, but if the parry hits, UB side swaps and get 36% meterless, 40%+ with meter. And as soon as it gets back to midscreen it's in UB favor. All in all, one of UB's easiest match ups.

you wish, Tremor's flash parry has that down.
Oh, I'm a huge fan of Tremor's flash parry. As soon as Tremor dropped it reminded me of playing against Kabal in MK9. However, Tremor's flash parry doesn't travel full screen, doesn't have two hits of armor, and isn't a low, so at worst, I'd say they're equal, since both have so many uses.

Jeffrey Wolf

Very interesting. On accident I used slide on a jumping opponent and actually managed to nick him out of the air. I just thought it was a fluke! I'm definitely going to lab this. Thanks.
EN Burst, even though it lost its armor, is also a useful AA, due to its large hit box. Plus, it converts to a full combo. Otherwise, as @Tender said, use S1, D2, and Slide.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
EN Burst, even though it lost its armor, is also a useful AA, due to its large hit box. Plus, it converts to a full combo. Otherwise, as @Tender said, use S1, D2, and Slide.
I plan to test the burst to see how much does it do against any opponent hopping to the other side.

crosshair271

Sub-Xerox
Yeah that's one of the more consistent ones. Its a tight link tho, and I usually go for the guaranteed b2 242 f12 or b2 b2 d1 f12. I like the simplicity and consistency. Plus 3% extra is no biggie.

We just have to accept there wont be any relatively 100% consistent simple reclone combos besides maybe like b3 clone or this one (both about 90% consistent). By that I mean a high execution barrier or height restrictions. There's still more to find though.
Honestly at this point we should all have had female touching Klone combos mastered. It's not even a 1 frame link. That's what I consider hard as hell. These aren't that bad to do. It's fine if you can't get it but it's not impossible. Those of us that can and choose to do them against female opponents will excel the character.

They said the same thing about TAC infinites in marvel. "It's too difficult, execution is too high, height is variable, too hard to do in a random environment of a marvel match." Yet look at it now, there are game strategies built around TAC infinites. Those are way harder than these female combos. I just encourage everyone to not give up and keep trying. Once you get the feel for the sweet spot it's not so bad.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I think Cryomancer is still better than Unbreakable because the mix is soooo strong. Unbreakable is really good and fun though too. I still believe Grandmaster is the best but probably least fun. I still have a blast with him though.

Jeffrey Wolf

Not even close. GM still bodies him just like pre patch.
If you think that, you haven't played against a competent UB. Match was really good for UB before the patch, and with the damage buffs it's now even better. Don't get me wrong, match up is boring as hell =), but UB definitely wins.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
If you think that, you haven't played against a competent UB. Match was really good for UB before the patch, and with the damage buffs it's now even better. Don't get me wrong, match up is boring as hell =), but UB definitely wins.
How? Pre patch, Unbreakable had no winning matchups let alone the 7-3 or 8-2 he had to deal with vs Grandmaster. All he could have done pre patch is ex slide for very low damage and terrible risk/reward with no way of building bar.

Jeffrey Wolf

The idea that UB had no winning match ups pre patch was perpetuated because of the lack of people that played him. The GM match up was always in his favor, as was Jason. Most other matches beyond that were 5-5 or 4-6, far from unwinnable. His hardest match ups were against characters that live in the air, like Tanya.

As for the fight itself, there's no risk to EN Sliding on reaction to GM behind Klone throwing a fireball or Klone throw. Once UB has the life lead, he can Aura up, and then just wait out the clock. If GM does manage to get him to the corner, pre patch, EN Burst and Parry answered GM's pressure. Now it will be Parry and EN Slide.