What's new

Subzero General Discussion Thread

Kind of bummed to see no real life to the Subz forums, nor much representation at tournament. Is he really that bad? I feel like he's quite a solid character, just without much dirt, which is what gets you played if you're on the MK roster.

Endeavor

I'll live a villain, before I die a hero.
Kind of bummed to see no real life to the Subz forums, nor much representation at tournament. Is he really that bad? I feel like he's quite a solid character, just without much dirt, which is what gets you played if you're on the MK roster.
He’s not a bad character by any means. According to 90% of Tym he’s broken and unfair, but I guess that only applies to online where overheads are unblockable. It seems in an offline setting not many people are getting dominated by him. Offline he can’t hur der his way into endless 50/50 into victory, he still has to play solidly which isn’t a bad thing but when have characters like Sonya, Geras, and Erron Black even if Sub is Top tier the things they can do or rather the situations they can set up for themselves is easier even if apparently only slightly, and they do it with less risk or effort.

Does anyone know if canceling any block strings into icicles in TI variation is safe or useful? I feel like that seems to be what the move was designed for, but it seems awfully unsafe.

Am I crazy or did they nerf the damage on creeping ice at some point? I swear the amplified version used to do 17%, but now it does 11%.

I'm on PC and we are perpetually a patch behind ps4, plus I mostly use the tourney variations, so I'm not really sure when this happened.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Does anyone know if canceling any block strings into icicles in TI variation is safe or useful? I feel like that seems to be what the move was designed for, but it seems awfully unsafe.
I think it kinda sucks. There’s s gap large enough for opponents to jip before the icicles connect, and enough recovery after to punish with whatever. The risk is high and the reward is very low.

Man, Go1 has a weird playstyle with Sub. At least when he’s not just going in hard on the 50/50 vortex. Wonder what he’s thinking.

Inception

I love Kitana
I am trying to improve my completely trash neutral with subzero I feel that I get rushed down and I am a scared rabbit in a corner blocking while it seems like everyone can just endlessly pressure me. I don't know my options to take my turn on defense. I am looking for some high level players that main sub to look at. Please advice :D.

Last edited:
the f4-slide gimmick with thin ice is giving me so much mileage right now. people get so conditioned trying to fuzzy that I can stagger the f4 after like two rounds

Endeavor

I'll live a villain, before I die a hero.
I am trying to improve my completely trash neutral with subzero I feel that I get rushed down and I am a scared rabbit in a corner blocking while it seems like everyone can just endlessly pressure me. I don't know my options to take my turn on defense. I am looking for some high level players that main sub to look at. Please advice :D.
Upload some matches. As for high level
players outside of Tom Brady and his stream I haven’t really seen highly players, but videos should be enough to get some great advice

Playing the challenge towers with sub my mask is augmented to inflict over 100 damage with a ice ball lol. It's uppercut damage when I ex ice ball

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Which characters do y'all have the most issues with as SZ?
I don’t feel like he has any serious character specific issues. Just the usual suspects like Geras, EB, Scorpion where we lose neutral by existing on the same screen as them.

If I had to pick some though, Kitana and Johnny Cage (maybe more, idk) low profile our d1 with their pokes. In these types of MUs, so we can’t really counter poke or check to enforce our advantage. They can end up stealing a lot of turns beating d1 or disrespecting SZs f4, which are two of his strongest tools.

As time goes on and people really start to lab the MU, new issues will come up but rn we’re definitely in a good spot.

I don’t feel like he has any serious character specific issues. Just the usual suspects like Geras, EB, Scorpion where we lose neutral by existing on the same screen as them.

If I had to pick some though, Kitana and Johnny Cage (maybe more, idk) low profile our d1 with their pokes. In these types of MUs, so we can’t really counter poke or check to enforce our advantage. They can end up stealing a lot of turns beating d1 or disrespecting SZs f4, which are two of his strongest tools.

As time goes on and people really start to lab the MU, new issues will come up but rn we’re definitely in a good spot.
Couldn't you use d3 instead vs them?

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Couldn't you use d3 instead vs them?
What, like a peasant? No thank you.

Srsly tho, d3 is i9. It may not seem like a big difference, but in context it makes you the slowest poking character in the game. I’m sure that creates some niche situations where the opponent could out-footsie you where they otherwise couldn’t.

For instance, after Kitana’s B2 you’re looking for the 2nd hit low, but she uses the single hit (-2) and back dashes. Your d1 might catch this, but she could mash her own d3 to low profile and steal a turn, conditioning you to use d3 in the MU.
In the same situation, d3 might be too slow to catch her back dash if SZ hesitates at all. You whiff the d3 and Kitana uses another b2, committing to the full string. She’d punish the whiffed d3 and hit confirm into a full combo.

A 6f d1 gives you some wiggle room to react, where as the 9f d3 you really have to commit to.

HapHaxion

"Knowledge" - Taio Cruz

Huh, from what I've heard Kitana and Cage both struggle against Sub and not the other way around