What's new

Subzero General Discussion Thread

For all you Sub experts, do you think that to be played optimally he has to do the aggressive 50/50 thing? Sub’s basically my all-time fav, but I really like slower, more methodical, space-control play a la Guile. Does that seem like a viable strategy for Sub? I felt like it seemed somewhat viable in Thin Ice variation, but unfortunately I’m not really findintg that variation’s tools super useful or appealing, so I’m now leaning more toward DoW, but I’m not all about that rushdown 50/50 blender life.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
For all you Sub experts, do you think that to be played optimally he has to do the aggressive 50/50 thing? Sub’s basically my all-time fav, but I really like slower, more methodical, space-control play a la Guile. Does that seem like a viable strategy for Sub? I felt like it seemed somewhat viable in Thin Ice variation, but unfortunately I’m not really findintg that variation’s tools super useful or appealing, so I’m now leaning more toward DoW, but I’m not all about that rushdown 50/50 blender life.
Just keep playing Thin Ice, space control is definitely a viable strategy there. He already has good buttons for whiff punishing in b1, b2 and f2. Add a full-screen mid projectile, trade-favorable ice ball, jik whiff > polar axe and slide, he becomes difficult to move against.

Landonio

n00b
What are some good setups/applications for the Ground Ice? I'm trying to find another ability to use for my kasual variation, but I can't seem to settle on anything. I was using Arctic Trap until I found out that you can block even after you get frozen by it. Lame. I would've been fine with it doing no damage, maybe being a couple frames slower, but you can't block after. But whatever. I can deal (unless there's another ability that is head and shoulders above it that I should be using, but honestly they all seem kinda meh).

Last edited:
Which of his tournament variants is the best? I might start maining this dude instead of Scorpion. They're both sweet in this game to me. I've never felt this way about these two characters since MK: Trilogy!

Though; Scorpion was cool in MK9.

Tell me I did that tournament variant thing right.

One variant has Ice Ball with option to enhance. And its only other special move is the shoulder charge.

The second variant has that ice projectile that is a mid, the ice shingles that step back when he throws them... and air axe, and of course slide/freeze ball.
I prefer V2. I just think slide has more utility compared to shoulder charge. I also love slide krushing blow.

HAMMER

Noob
Am I the only one trying my hardest to make Sub-Zero look like Smoke on some classic MK2 shit. Before anyone says; yes, I know Smoke used Scorpion's spear; however, his model was the same as Sub-Zero's in MK2!! Plus they're Lin Kuei!!

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Theo Vs Throbbing D (Cetrion)

This is a good example of why people want him nerfed.

Big D guessed wrong 4 times in a row. Twice on wake up, twice on restand, which dealt only 17% for a bar btw. Not only that, but every one of these mix-ups was fuzzy-able (no delay in action, Theo entered the commands as soon as he could) and twice Big D could have used a get up option (forward roll or delayed WU). This isn’t SZ being some crazy powerful, broken mix-up machine, it’s unpracticed defense and bad guesses.

Sub-Zero didn’t beat Cetrion, Theo outplayed Big D.

Samsara

Resident Cynic
This is a good example of why people want him nerfed.

Big D guessed wrong 4 times in a row. Twice on wake up, twice on restand, which dealt only 17% for a bar btw. Not only that, but every one of these mix-ups was fuzzy-able (no delay in action, Theo entered the commands as soon as he could) and twice Big D could have used a get up option (forward roll or delayed WU). This isn’t SZ being some crazy powerful, broken mix-up machine, it’s unpracticed defense and bad guesses.

Sub-Zero didn’t beat Cetrion, Theo outplayed Big D.
It's not possible to be outplayed by Sub-Zero. Nerf all his tools and nerf Sub-Zero.

HAMMER

Noob
They should make his OH 14 frames and his low 10. Anyone agree? I think over-time Sub-Zero will be rated lower. And yes, I'll jump ship to the next high rated character.

But to be 100% serious. I love Sub-Zero in this game. Fun design, cool game-play. Sweet moves.

I haven't liked Sub-Zero this much since MK: Trilogy (N64 version).

ShadyHeart

Relationship with Sonya ended
What are some good setups/applications for the Arctic Trap? I'm trying to find another ability to use for my kasual variation, but I can't seem to settle on anything. I was using Arctic Trap until I found out that you can block even after you get frozen by it. Lame. I would've been fine with it doing no damage, maybe being a couple frames slower, but you can't block after. But whatever. I can deal (unless there's another ability that is head and shoulders above it that I should be using, but honestly they all seem kinda meh).
They cannot block while frozen. Idk where you got that from.

Landonio

n00b
They cannot block while frozen. Idk where you got that from.
Crap, my bad. I meant Ground Ice. You can block immediately after you get frozen. You're also immune to throws. So I'm like, for 2 slots is this really worth it? Not thinking so.

Regarding Thin Ice variation:
Has anyone found consistently good uses for this variation's two extra grounded projectiles? I get the value of the air ice axe, but neither the icicle barrage nor the mid projectile that starts big and shrinks as it flies ever seem to have more than super situational use. Like in matches I never find myself using a different move and then thinking afterwards, "Damn, I really should've used THAT move there." It seems like the only reasons to take Thin Ice are slide and air axe. Am I missing something?

Landonio

n00b
Regarding Thin Ice variation:
Has anyone found consistently good uses for this variation's two extra grounded projectiles? I get the value of the air ice axe, but neither the icicle barrage nor the mid projectile that starts big and shrinks as it flies ever seem to have more than super situational use. Like in matches I never find myself using a different move and then thinking afterwards, "Damn, I really should've used THAT move there." It seems like the only reasons to take Thin Ice are slide and air axe. Am I missing something?
The ice shards is a decent retreating/defensive tool, as well as for keeping people in the corner. Use it after a down poke (d1/d3/d4) and you'll catch people from time to time.

The other projectile I'm honestly not a huge fan of, but it's ok for chipping out or just mixing it up with Iceballs.

Last edited:
The ice shards is a decent retreating/defensive tool, as well as for keeping people in the corner. Use it after a down poke (d1/d3/d4) and you'll catch people from time to time.

The other projectile I'm honestly not a huge fan off, but it's ok for chipping out or just mixing it up with Iceballs.
Yeah, that's pretty much exactly my impression. I just can't come up with a use for them that's SUPERIOR to anything else I might do in a given situation, which makes them feel like they add nothing to the variation.

Sazbak

Noob
I found a use of Deathcicle Barrage other than chipping the opponent out.
You can use it against people who do flawless block attacks.
I set the AI to do Liu's invulnerable block attack and did a s1 xx db2 and I dodged their attack and hit them with mine because of the initial backward movement of Deathcicle.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Post brutality, you can choose what kind of ice clone SZ makes. Holding right + 4 gives you a polar bear, holding left + 1 gives you a snowman.

Sticky this, it’s easily the most important info to date.
It's been known for a while lol. There's already a thread about it

Lokheit

Noob
It's been known for a while lol. There's already a thread about it
Where? I'm trying to search that thread but everything I look for directs me to Injustice 2 threads about his alternate klones.

EDIT: Found some videos about it on yt, apparently holding up and down create different poses for the klone too.