What's new

Subzero General Discussion Thread

Lum@na

Noob
Sub has an easy game plan so you can spend your brain power trying to optimize usage of wakeups, flawless block, and the other components of the game. In a month, sub will be considered average just like skarlet will... People will figure out that if they ever guess the high correct, Subbie is free, which means while there are mind games to let the 50/50 work, blocking low vs sub as default is freelo. Because of the lack of damage in SZs kit, they only need to guess right a third of the time to even out the damage and if they just guess right more, you lose.

SZ will be a flash in the pan and Reo's S tier rating will disappear. I think he is fine as is but the overhype is ridic.

Samsara

Resident Cynic
LBSH playing Dead of Winter is for maniacs who want to go hurr durr 50/50s. I hate it and I'm never touching that variation.

Don't you dare nerf my variation. It needs buffs for better zoning :(
People assume we have to like Sub because hes good. I think he's garbage and I only play him cause I like his outfits and gear and stuff.

NRS is gonna nerf him next patch. Congrats. Happens every game.

He is a flowchart mix machine and is boring as hell in 11. We lost ice clone for what?

What?

Braindead high low mixups?

I want defensive sub back call me a whiner. Skarlet main btw dont @ me.

HAMMER

Noob
Which of his tournament variants is the best? I might start maining this dude instead of Scorpion. They're both sweet in this game to me. I've never felt this way about these two characters since MK: Trilogy!

Though; Scorpion was cool in MK9.

Tell me I did that tournament variant thing right.

One variant has Ice Ball with option to enhance. And its only other special move is the shoulder charge.

The second variant has that ice projectile that is a mid, the ice shingles that step back when he throws them... and air axe, and of course slide/freeze ball.

sgZick

Noob
Which of his tournament variants is the best?
It's a choice between pest and cholera to me. The Ex-Ice Ball is arguably the best projectile attack in the game (mid and eating opponents projectiles), but as trade off you have to replace slide with a worse slide (longer start-up, can't low profile for a bit more damage). The added specials in the other variation are situational and not very strong, but you keep the slide. Ex-Ice Ball + any other special than cold shoulder would be perfect...

HAMMER

Noob
It's a choice between pest and cholera to me. The Ex-Ice Ball is arguably the best projectile attack in the game (mid and eating opponents projectiles), but as trade off you have to replace slide with a worse slide (longer start-up, can't low profile for a bit more damage). The added specials in the other variation are situational and not very strong, but you keep the slide. Ex-Ice Ball + any other special than cold shoulder would be perfect...
Sounds like Ex Ice-Ball and the normal Slide with the mid-hitting and damaging Ice Sheet would be cool huh? Too bad by NRS!! I like Sub-Zero's feel in this game, I think I'mma stick with him over Scorpion. I'm a tier whore so I need to use someone rated in the top 75%. :DOGE

Lokheit

Noob
Well, I found a use for S3!!! Yaaaayyy!!

Buuuuut... It only works for custom variations...

Basically I managed to squeeze more damage into Ex Rising Ice Midscreen and corner combos from OH by using S3 instead of B2 or 21 in the juggles before the iceball.

I still don't have have any real use for 33 or S4 though.

Lokheit

Noob
Fun thing is, technically shoulder doesn't even give you more damage as SZ corner combos rely on the B32Slide juggle and you lose that with the shoulder.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Fun thing is, technically shoulder doesn't even give you more damage as SZ corner combos rely on the B32Slide juggle and you lose that with the shoulder.
My personal favorite thing about kold shoulder is the distance it forces when ending a combo, especially in the corner.

Also, didn’t someone find a more damaging corner combo with freeze > jik > s4 > s2 > s2 or something?

Lokheit

Noob
My personal favorite thing about kold shoulder is the distance it forces when ending a combo, especially in the corner.

Also, didn’t someone find a more damaging corner combo with freeze > jik > s4 > s2 > s2 or something?
Thanks for pointing that out, I'm currently testing and it's true, that path deals to a bigger chunk of damage (and finally a real use for s4 yay!).

Edit: I screwed up the first test lol, so far the B32Slide path leads to more damage (taking into account that you start with a JI2 as the other path starts with a jump too). Can you point me where the JIK, 4 path combos are posted?

Cold shoulder still crap though even if corner damage isn't neutered by it xD

Last edited:

Sazbak

Noob
I don't know about others but I'm getting Carpal Tunnel Syndrome from pressing 1 4 in a combo, it feels so unnatural even though they line up horizontally. Sometimes I end up dropping the combo after the 1 postfreeze.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Is it known that Thin Ice can cancel the recovery on his jump attacks into polar axe on whiff?

Lokheit

Noob
Is it known that Thin Ice can cancel the recovery on his jump attacks into polar axe on whiff?
This was the case in past games too. I'm surprised not a lot of people know it though. @Braindead was mopping me once in MKX and still he was surprised I could cancel whiffed air attacks into Air Hammer. All characters with air attacks can do it.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Yeah canceling air moves after air normals on whiff has been a thing in MKX and Inj2 and still a thing in MK11 lol

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
What do you need to do? Just stay as close as possible on wakeup? The video doesn't show much of it.

I remember MKX sub could do the same with the second hit of B33 against males midscreen.
Needs to be a meaty f2. So hit them as soon as they start getting off the ground

ShadyHeart

Relationship with Sonya ended
I haven't seen anyone really say much about Arctic Trap. It looks like it has potential in the corner for guaranteed pressure. You can be like +8 if you end a combo short or around +3 for a bit more damage. If the opponent rolls behind you, you get a punish for over 300 damage meterless. Wake ups cant be used since they'll get frozen. Delayed wakeup will probably just make it worse.

Question is, what to do with the plus frames? You could use rising ice to be able to combo off the overhead which would give an inescapable 50/50 vortex, but that's pretty unsafe.

Edit: You can get like +18 with ok damage meterless.

Last edited: