What's new

Subzero General Discussion Thread

Hey guys im here to show some highlights matchs with avalanche subzero i really like this variation creeping ice is good to be safe and some pushback for a little space probably my main variation rn

Sazbak

Noob
Hey guys im here to show some highlights matchs with avalanche subzero i really like this variation creeping ice is good to be safe and some pushback for a little space probably my main variation rn
Let me guess, at 1:35 you accidentally pressed the trigger button.....exact same thing happens to me sometime and it has become so annoying that I ordered a Brook converter and a PS2 controller with proper buttons.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
D2 KB setup if you expect they'll break away: If they don't you get 374 dmg, if they break away they'll have to block the orb which puts you at at least +4

mrapchem

Noob
D2 KB setup if you expect they'll break away: If they don't you get 374 dmg, if they break away they'll have to block the orb which puts you at at least +4

Does this setup work on the entire cast? Apparently, Sub's Kreeping Ice doesn't have the same frame data on the entire cast, so perhaps this could be situational as well.

Braindead

Does this setup work on the entire cast? Apparently, Sub's Kreeping Ice doesn't have the same frame data on the entire cast, so perhaps this could be situational as well.
I don't see any reason not to. It's very different from the creeping ice mess.

Dante

Noob
Nice one. I messed with it a bit and dropped it a few times when it mattered (as you gotta be frame perfect) and got annoyed ;o
But yes it works on everyone and is actually optimal when they have bars

Braindead

If you play avalanche you probably got F24 on error a million times because you went for F2 DF4 and F2 whiffed right?

You can OS it by inserting a slight delay between F2 and DF4, the whole thing still comes out on hit and block but only F2 comes out on whiff:

Parasurama

Dragon
If you play avalanche you probably got F24 on error a million times because you went for F2 DF4 and F2 whiffed right?

You can OS it by inserting a slight delay between F2 and DF4, the whole thing still comes out on hit and block but only F2 comes out on whiff:

Can df4 be punished and how? Otherwise why do an OS?

Parasurama

Dragon
It can't be punished. Read my post again. If you input f2df4 and the f2 whiffs, it comes out as f24 instead which is very punishable.

You OS it so you don't get F24
So basically no risk with low or high reward 50/50. Both low and OH options are safe.

JDE

Pick up & kill it & kill it & kill it!
Yo what are the 124 KB combos that he uses midscreen off jump ins & what do you do to replace it?

Braindead

Yo what are the 124 KB combos that he uses midscreen off jump ins & what do you do to replace it?
Off jump in punches you can do a 2-hit starter (b14, b32, 21, etc.) into ice ball, j2 124 KB for fully grounded unbreakable 30-something%

Or take the normal route Cob mentioned above for the basic regular breakable combos

JDE

Off jump in punches you can do a 2-hit starter (b14, b32, 21, etc.) into ice ball, j2 124 KB for fully grounded unbreakable 30-something%

Or take the normal route Cob mentioned above for the basic regular breakable combos
The basic one is starter>j3, s2, dash 124.
Each time I try to do the jump after they're frozen, they're too far away to connect anything. Even the 2. I'm doing something wrong somewhere.

So what I learned is Sub-Zero is a Chinese-American who is part human-part cryomancer, Skarlet confirms he has Outworld ancestry and Sindel confirms some of his ancestors are Edenian. Man, Sub's got an interesting family tree.

I love MK lore.

Lokheit

Noob
So what I learned is Sub-Zero is a Chinese-American who is part human-part cryomancer, Skarlet confirms he has Outworld ancestry and Sindel confirms some of his ancestors are Edenian. Man, Sub's got an interesting family tree.

I love MK lore.
More than having Outworld AND Edenian ancestry, it's implied cryomancers were from pre-merged Edenia, but now part of outworld after the merge. It's inconsistent with old timeline lore though as SZ found the temple on unmerged Outworld, but I guess they could've built a new one during their time there.

BanTheTesters

“My AGENT is tougher than you...”
Hey all, just started playing sub over the thanksgiving break and well....i think this is my new main lol

Was wondering when your opponent throws out and unsafe string what string of subs should i be punishing with/his bnbs?

Im playing one of this older variations not his newest one with arctic trap etc...

JDE

Hey all, just started playing sub over the thanksgiving break and well....i think this is my new main lol

Was wondering when your opponent throws out and unsafe string what string of subs should i be punishing with/his bnbs?

Im playing one of this older variations not his newest one with arctic trap etc...
It depends on how unsafe.

D1 will jab punish -7 since it's 6 frames, but be careful with the distance of moves that are -7. They tend to be tricky sometimes

For -8 or worse, 12 xxice ballxx into an ender of your choosing

For -9 or worse, 21 xxice ballxx into an ender of your choosing

For -15 or worse, B14 xxice ballxx into an ender of your choosing

For -14 or worse, B32 into ice ballxx

Slide & his shoulder will punish things like Scorpion's Chain since it's -20 with a lot of pushback or Shang Tsung's B2112 string that ends with a high (you duck the last hit then either whiff punish with B1 or one of these.

Slide is 11 frames, Shoulder is 16 frames.

mrapchem

Noob

I punish in one of two ways: either I use 21 into combo(does the same damage as B14 & B32, while only being 8 frames) or I use S3 into combo(long range 13-frame punish & does the most damage).

BanTheTesters

It depends on how unsafe.

D1 will jab punish -7 since it's 6 frames, but be careful with the distance of moves that are -7. They tend to be tricky sometimes

For -8 or worse, 12 xxice ballxx into an ender of your choosing

For -9 or worse, 21 xxice ballxx into an ender of your choosing

For -15 or worse, B14 xxice ballxx into an ender of your choosing

For -14 or worse, B32 into ice ballxx

Slide & his shoulder will punish things like Scorpion's Chain since it's -20 with a lot of pushback or Shang Tsung's B2112 string that ends with a high (you duck the last hit then either whiff punish with B1 or one of these.

Slide is 11 frames, Shoulder is 16 frames.
Thanks looks like I’ll also have to look at the string date a bit more cause I feel like im either out of range to punish things or b32 or f24 isn’t enough and b143 isn’t cutting it either

I’ll defiantly keep these in mind

BanTheTesters

I punish in one of two ways: either I use 21 into combo(does the same damage as B14 & B32, while only being 8 frames) or I use S3 into combo(long range 13-frame punish & does the most damage).
I’ll have to give s3 a try or s33 as well. For some reason some of the cast I’m having issues punishing..but I make one mistake with sub and I’m eating 40%..