What's new

Subzero General Discussion Thread

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
So... any thoughts on a good custom variation for Sub since it's legal now? Preferably something that isn't just adding something besides cold shoulder to dead of winter. Something that spices it up.

So... any thoughts on a good custom variation for Sub since it's legal now? Preferably something that isn't just adding something besides cold shoulder to dead of winter. Something that spices it up.
I’ll be using Rising Ice. I remember it making his 212 string more useful and having more options in the corner.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I've been fucking around with it too, but with so many of his moves being 2 slots he still seems super boring and limited. =/

Since you can't combo off of creeping ice anymore rising ice and ex iceball will probably be the the go to option. Stupid damage potential, especially in the corner if they don't scale it

Lokheit

Noob
Are custom variations confirmed now? Do we know if any other move was changed? Because Ground Ice + Rising Ice is the best combo wou will find. You can vortex to death before using up all your energy if you know the right combo paths. This might be enough to take me back!

mundaney

Buff the Kahns
Man, I really wish Cold Shoulder was part of the base kit and didn't replace slide. I love the EX version but slide is so useful.

Dante

Noob
We'll see how strong puddle is.
In general i like rising ice, air axe, creeping ice/ the slow projectile depending on matchup

Lokheit

Noob
We'll see how strong puddle is.
In general i like rising ice, air axe, creeping ice/ the slow projectile depending on matchup
If they keep it as it currentlt is, EX version is total crap but regular version is OP (they might end up inverting both). 30+% damage combos into vortex and enough time for the bar to refill enough to land 4 consecutive combos in the vortex.

ErmacMKX

Noob
Rising Ice and Artic trap, is that a solid combo since ground ice is banned (which I can agree with them)? Anyone have any other suggestions? I like the set up potential of this.

Rising Ice and Artic trap, is that a solid combo since ground ice is banned (which I can agree with them)? Anyone have any other suggestions? I like the set up potential of this.
After playing avalanche for so long it's hard for me to give up the trap. Especially with the damage setups. But I just tried it with rising ice.....and I'm liking it alot. I'm actually liking rising ice more than ex ball

Lokheit

Noob
It sucks a lot that they banned Ground Ice, it would've been very easy to fix by just swapping the enhanced and regular versions (this way the vortex can't keep going as you deplete resources, the ex version always was super crappy so making it as a regular version is the same than saying you have to use 1 bar for the move anyway).

Trap got some routes but is nowhere near as effective as ground ice and you might lose too much damage to correctly setup for a lesser reward. Might try a 1-1-1 with Air Axe and Creeping Ice for flexibility (and yes, there are ways to land Air Axe after Rising Ice NP, but none are optimal damage wise).

ErmacMKX

Noob
It sucks a lot that they banned Ground Ice, it would've been very easy to fix by just swapping the enhanced and regular versions (this way the vortex can't keep going as you deplete resources, the ex version always was super crappy so making it as a regular version is the same than saying you have to use 1 bar for the move anyway).

Trap got some routes but is nowhere near as effective as ground ice and you might lose too much damage to correctly setup for a lesser reward. Might try a 1-1-1 with Air Axe and Creeping Ice for flexibility (and yes, there are ways to land Air Axe after Rising Ice NP, but none are optimal damage wise).
Yea I like creeping Ice, contemplating if Artic Trap is worth losing it. I'll wait to see what the professionals come up with.

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
Rising Ice being one slot and Slide being default is a good base. It allows you to work with Deep Freeze, Air Axe+Creeping Ice, or Arctic Trap loadouts.

Shoulder, Frigid, and Barrage don't seem useful.i Rising Ice doesn't change your approach, it just makes you hit harder.

1-bar mid-screen = 314/321
1-bar corner = 380/389
2-bar mid-screen = 367/375
2-bar corner = 436/448
D2 + 124 KB corner = 606

Is there better damage to be had?

Also, is there a use for Air Axe after Rising Ice? Doesn't come out on whiff or block (probably would be busted) and doesn't seem like you can combo after it hits.

Demon_0

RIP Akira Toriyama
Arctic Trap is much worse now that they made wakeups faster. I am currently playing around with the loadout Deep Freeze and Air Axe. This, of course, gives you Slide by default.

The Air Axe gives you some real nasty resets that are very plus for you e.g. B14 into Deep Freeze, jumpin 2 into Air Axe (which combos) and you have an instant right-in-your-opponents-face reset situation where they have to guess low, overhead, or throw - both overhead and low lead into a new combo. Just two resets can give you about 80-85% damage.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
The Air Axe gives you some real nasty resets that are very plus for you e.g. B14 into Deep Freeze, jumpin 2 into Air Axe (which combos) and you have an instant right-in-your-opponents-face reset situation where they have to guess low, overhead, or throw -
You don't need air axe for that. Opener into ice ball into j2 standing 2 already does that. S2 is +22 on hit.

You can even use j2 b3, as it's +17. They'll crouch afterwards 90% of the time, allowing you to reset with f2 into deep freeze.

I'm not knocking air axe, but if you're only using it for resets then you don't really need it. Sub has them already built-in.

Demon_0

RIP Akira Toriyama
You don't need air axe for that. Opener into ice ball into j2 standing 2 already does that. S2 is +22 on hit.

You can even use j2 b3, as it's +17. They'll crouch afterwards 90% of the time, allowing you to reset with f2 into deep freeze.

I'm not knocking air axe, but if you're only using it for resets then you don't really need it. Sub has them already built-in.
Oh yeah, for sure standing 2 does the job but I reckon jump 2 canceled into Air Axe does a bit more damage.

Though, the Air Axe is generally just a good keepaway move to have imo. Helps me out a lot with the Geras matchup for example.