What's new

Guide - Sub-Zero SUB-ZERO COMBO THREAD (Patch 8/31)

Lokheit

Noob
Btw, this one is really tight but is does even some decimals more than F122B2 combo:

F122 NJP (hit when he is falling or the timing will be too bad), run and B2.

It's still unpredictable (opponent can go left or right) and is a bit hard to pull, but technically it's the highest damage Sub-Zero can deal meterless (the screen number says it's the same than F122B2 but decimals count for total damage if you test it). I don't recommend it, but for documentation sake.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
I'm starting to use this for the corner BnB, just to mask the fact that I may stop f122 short to try for the reset.

Don't want the opponent knowing somethings up if suddenly they start seeing me swing ice swords.

Creepy00

Noob
Hmm, if I not mistaken the jik air hammer restand was reported to be +3. Aquaman did some testing and subs d4 traded with 6 frame pokes.

Samsara

Resident Cynic
I've already updated the OP in the Cryo section. The f112 b2 link has been replaced with a f122 f122 its much easier and still has exellent corner carry and comparable damage to what was listed before.

llabslb

R1D1_998
Scrub question: back in mk9 there were x ray cancel combos. I didn't really understand them back then but I was just wondering the benefits for them. I touched on it in mkx I guess theres a comeback factor to it or whatever but if there's more to it can someone explain.

btw here's the thing I touched on

Samsara

Resident Cynic
I will be removing the reset section under Cryomancer. I do believe people under stand how the cryomancer 'reset' works--- as of now, several weeks after the revalation, I find that it will suffice to simply acknowledge that a f12 after a freeze grants a 50/50. This reduce the clutter in that particular section and avoid spelling out a relatively simple concept.

crosshair271

Sub-Xerox
I will be removing the reset section under Cryomancer. I do believe people under stand how the cryomancer 'reset' works--- as of now, several weeks after the revalation, I find that it will suffice to simply acknowledge that a f12 after a freeze grants a 50/50. This reduce the clutter in that particular section and avoid spelling out a relatively simple concept.
My gripe about that reset is you can't do it at the end of a combo like we should be able to and get a restand. Why cut a guaranteed combo opportunity short for that? Also I think B12 gives more damage and frame advantage.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
If I'm in the correct stance after the freeze (SZ and opponent facing the same direction), I can land the freeze, f122, b2 RC f42 1+3 combo almost every time... what the hell? Should we adjust to this accordingly and keep it in the combo thread, or is that too much to ask of players? It doesn't seem all that difficult.

Last edited:

Lokheit

Noob
If I'm in the correct stance after the freeze (SZ and opponent facing the same direction), I can land the freeze, f122, b2 RC f42 1+3 combo almost every time... what's the hell? Should we adjust to this accordingly and keep it in the combo thread, or is that too much to ask of players? It doesn't seem all that difficult.
Is the opponent always being launched forward? I was trying before and the opponent would still randomly go the other way. In practice I can connect it as there is room to react and input, but during a competitive match any surprise can lead to a drop and that's why I go with the double F122. Will try a bit more tomorrow, maybe I didn't try enough with one of the stances.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
I've been waiting a bit longer to throw b2 and it feels consistent. If the b2 is too early, the opponent swaps sides though. I'm getting that occasionally.

zoofs

bless
cryo was never a "vortex" char anyways. Always disliked those posts (not talking about you)

crosshair271

Sub-Xerox
Nah, f12 gives 29f on hit. B12 gives 20f.
Ah I see. However I still just don't feel it's worth giving up a guaranteed combo for a risky mixup.

If I'm in the correct stance after the freeze (SZ and opponent facing the same direction), I can land the freeze, f122, b2 RC f42 1+3 combo almost every time... what the hell? Should we adjust to this accordingly and keep it in the combo thread, or is that too much to ask of players? It doesn't seem all that difficult.
It really isn't hard. You have plenty of time to switch stances after the freeze. Just make sure both are facing the same way when going for F122. It's just really stupid that quirk even exists because that messes up other things too. It adds no tactical factor and causes more problems. That button should have been the run button or even a variation switch button(think Deadly Alliance, Deception, Armageddon). It would add much more depth to the game and balance the bad matchups compared to having a stupid hobble button and being locked into a bad variation matchup.

Is the opponent always being launched forward? I was trying before and the opponent would still randomly go the other way. In practice I can connect it as there is room to react and input, but during a competitive match any surprise can lead to a drop and that's why I go with the double F122. Will try a bit more tomorrow, maybe I didn't try enough with one of the stances.
I actually like when they get behind me because it makes the F4 combo easier to do. No run necessary hehe. Everybody is different I guess.

Samsara

Resident Cynic
I can annotate it as ...DF2 (Switch Stance) F122 ----------- I don't think that's too much to ask at all. Give me a sec to update the OP.

Samsara

Resident Cynic
Meterless 49-51% wall Grandmaster combos:

Meterless 29-31% midscreen Unbreakable combos:

I do appreciate your effort to contribute to this thread, that being said, I would advise that you take a look at the OP before posting your combo videos because most of your combos were not optimized. HOWEVER, your post has reminded me to include damage enders for the Grandmaster corner section. I will do this as well as update the Cryo section before I start studying tonight.

On the other hand, I am liking the activity generated by this thread. I do my best to check in from time to time and I would like to thank all the contributions that have helped me keep this thread updated---- @Ree301 and @Lokheit espeacially. I love you all equally though ;).

Hope I don't sound like a hardass or anything.:eek:

Lokheit

Noob
I actually like when they get behind me because it makes the F4 combo easier to do. No run necessary hehe. Everybody is different I guess.
To be honest I also prefer it when they go the other way. My biggest problem is the fact that after the B2 you can't start the run input because you don't know for sure which direction is going to be.

I can connect it multiple times in a row in practice with no problem, I'm sure most people can, but once you're in the middle of the fight you don't want surprises, at least I prefer to go for guaranteed combo specially since the damage drop isn't that big.

The idea scenario for me would be if the opponent was always launched to the same position than if you whif the F1 and then connect the rest of the string. That one is the ideal position where F122 should put the opponent without needing to whif the first hit.

Samsara

Resident Cynic
You can do 32% like this:
b12,db3,b12,df2,jump-in2,242,Run,b12,db1
Not like is much more but eh, at least it has beast corner carry.
Subzero's best corner carry option is 242 RC 1 RC 123xxBF4

It's guaranteed to move him 70% of a stage length off of any canceled starter into freeze. Also ends in an knockdown that cannot be teched, and looks like the most disciplined combo in the history of ninjas.

Seriously 123xxBF4 is my favorite combo ender in the game.

Subzero's best corner carry option is 242 RC 1 RC 123xxBF4

It's guaranteed to move him 70% of a stage length off of any canceled starter into freeze. Also ends in an knockdown that cannot be teched, and looks like the most disciplined combo in the history of ninjas.

Seriously 123xxBF4 is my favorite combo ender in the game.
True, that carries further. However, i think it does a little less damage. For like the middle of the stage, I would say my combo is better. Further yours is prolly a better option

Samsara

Resident Cynic
The ice burst ender does free up IAC's though. Not sure what's worth more here.
Tbh I really don't like the concept of IAC except off of F4 (grants a 50/50 and true blockstrings). In almost any other circumstance your simply paying for the opportunity to have your aura disappear after your combos finished at the expense of a bar of meter 2% extra damage.

I mean, it's clear we aren't spending meter on IAC for damage, and the utility is barely there, so I'll admit I'm kind of at a lost for saying what that variation is truly all about in terms of damage output and utility----- which is the main focus of a combo thread.

Tokiwartoothxdk

『T R I G G E R E D』
I was playing a few games with Grandmaster and something strange happened. I went for the 1,2 shatter corner combo where only the 2 hits. i hit the opponent shattered the clone the combo counter said i landed 2 hits but the opponent blocked and was not able to follow up with the juggle. Anyone else have this happen to them?

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Yeah, so it's like this...

When the clone shatter hits before the ice burst/ ex frost bomb has a chance to, auto block is triggered. To fix this, the clone needs to be placed further back so ice burst/ ex frost bomb knocks the opponent off their feet before clone shatter hits. The real piss off is that ex frost bomb should give us the juggle height to do shatter combos with clone point blank. But naw.