What's new

Street Fighter V General Discussion

xiskza

Underworld

Totally agree with him, these stories are better than the ones in the game. I hope they make second character stories or address these in the next cinematic mode

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Part two.

Ok. So we laid down some assumptive framework for how high level play 'works'.. now to try and tie this together and not just make sense of it, but get my point across lucidly for the one or two people who read the shit I post.

Now, all the talk about high level play was actually to establish what makes a high tier character.. because play defines the character and if a character is suitable for the highest type of play in the game, then.. high tier.

This is useful at the highest level of competition because it solidifies the competitive strata considerably - for one. Giving the top players more focus to thier preperations and strategies. For two - the intense scrutiny characters at the top endure, acts as a kind of knowledge flush. No one can figure out a character as thoroughly as.. well, everyone.. and a pro who is playing a high tier character will benefit from the additional work being put in to thier character by the community. No one person can find everything and know everything. The large community will contribute the knowledge base. This same community will also find ways through or around the best characters.. And while a negative side effect of this is that the players own character is being picked apart in the same way and his competition is learning the counters and answers to that character's option, the positive is he's receiving the same information on enemy characters. Information more thorough and well researched than he or she could feasibly manage by themselves, especially spread across a large group of characters. All those eyes and hands can build far more than a single person alone ever can. Again, that's is a trade-off in your own character being ''exposed" but at the same time, a pro player doesn't want to base a game plan around a shaky foundation (setups or tech that can be specifically beaten. Like when we say if something is real or not).

So the question now arises, what good then, does a tier list do at lower levels, aside from the same knowledge dump?

Part 3 soon. Typing this all on my damn phone and tired of it. Wanna move to my PC to finishin a few.

I've seen many top players buffer a special after a normal, for example Daigo used to buffer the tatsu after a lk or cr.mk while playing footsies in the neutral, this was nice because the normal connected then the tatsu would automatically connect also, but that also means that if the normal is blocked then the tatsu would come out anyways and he'd be punished right? Isn't that a bad trade? I mean if it connects you get (I don't know exactly the damage numbers but I'll use an example) if it connected you'd get like a 5% damage off of it, but if they blocked it you could easily eat 40% damage yourself, the risk/reward doesn't seem worth it, so why do they do this?

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
I've seen many top players buffer a special after a normal, for example Daigo used to buffer the tatsu after a lk or cr.mk while playing footsies in the neutral, this was nice because the normal connected then the tatsu would automatically connect also, but that also means that if the normal is blocked then the tatsu would come out anyways and he'd be punished right? Isn't that a bad trade? I mean if it connects you get (I don't know exactly the damage numbers but I'll use an example) if it connected you'd get like a 5% damage off of it, but if they blocked it you could easily eat 40% damage yourself, the risk/reward doesn't seem worth it, so why do they do this?
I could be wrong but I think what they’re doing is throwing these normals out with the sort of spacing that would mean they’re not going to get blocked, only either whiff entirely so just the normal comes out or catch an opponent’s limb if they press the wrong button and therefore whiff punish with the normal and special. Opponent probably has enough time to dash in and block against that sort of shit online but offline is a different beast.

With certain moves they might buffer the motion for the special move and only press the button on hit too I presume, but I highly doubt that’s happening off light kicks and shit. Honestly don’t know though, their reactions compared to mine are also a different beast lol.

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
Can Abigail's 1st trigger reflect Ryu's super too? Or just Dhalsim's?
Technically yes, practically hell naw. Shit’s way too fast so you’d have to do it on a read and with pretty damn specific timing.

If you’re fighting some trashcan who you just know wants to wake up super first chance they get you might be able to land it off certain set-ups. Crush counter sweep, backdash, activate, slight delay, start charging back hp, gg.

P.S. works on Juri’s too, just not top tier privileged Guile’s, of course.

Last edited:

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
Technically yes, practically hell naw. Shit’s way too fast so you’d have to do it on a read and with pretty damn specific timing.

If you’re fighting some trashcan who you just know wants to wake up super first chance they get you might be able to land it off certain set-ups. Crush counter sweep, backdash, activate, slight delay, start charging back hp, gg.

P.S. works on Juri’s too, just not top tier privileged Guile’s, of course.
Huh, good to know. Was just watching a thing on Abigail and the thought crossed my mind

NHDR

Noob
If you buffer properly, the special won't come out because your poke won't hit. You buffer a special so that, if your poke connects, the special does, too. If your poke does not connect, no special comes out.

When you're actually within poking range, you pretty much have to either use a safe special or hit-confirm properly (which is pretty hard).

I could be wrong but I think what they’re doing is throwing these normals out with the sort of spacing that would mean they’re not going to get blocked, only either whiff entirely so just the normal comes out or catch an opponent’s limb if they press the wrong button and therefore whiff punish with the normal and special. Opponent probably has enough time to dash in and block against that sort of shit online but offline is a different beast.

With certain moves they might buffer the motion for the special move and only press the button on hit too I presume, but I highly doubt that’s happening off light kicks and shit. Honestly don’t know though, their reactions compared to mine are also a different beast lol.
If you buffer properly, the special won't come out because your poke won't hit. You buffer a special so that, if your poke connects, the special does, too. If your poke does not connect, no special comes out.

When you're actually within poking range, you pretty much have to either use a safe special or hit-confirm properly (which is pretty hard).
Cool thanks guys. Yea the spacing is important and both of you explained that they buffer from a distance where it would usually only connect if your oponent throws out a normal of their own, makes perfect sense.

EntropicByDesign

I havent been watching super close, kinda coming in and out, while doing other shit and I swear, every time I look at the screen SOMEONE is playing Cammy. Jesus.

Is there a convenient way/place to check characters used in top16 (top 32 would be even better) and on?

Like I said, I havent seen a ton, been in and out.. but Ive seen:

Cammy
Akuma
Guile
Abi
Necalli
Juri
Menat

I think that's it that *I* have seen.

Just curious what the character representation towards the top (id love to see top 32 and on) looks like right now.

EntropicByDesign

Balance patch on the 3rd...JUst announced on NorCal Regionals.

Interesting.

Blanka BUFFFFFS pls. I play Urien - when I play which is almost never - but I think Blanka is kinda awesome and I want him to shine. Speed those fucking rolls up. Sajam said "changes to every character in the game".. So we shall see.

xiskza

Underworld
Cammy buffed again haha, they really love her at Capcom! Always getting buffed no matter what game she's in

EntropicByDesign

@FL Rushdown

Please to chime in on Urien changes?

It sucks that a completely reasonable and balanced character like Abigail seems to have been nerfed somewhat. It's almost like Capcom thought he... Ok I'm done. No more poking fun.. I DO GENUINELY HOPE that he remains viable for the people who played him because they liked the character - but everyone who jumped on his nuts because they thought they could scrape easy/cheesey wins can fuck off into the atmosphere.

Yay Blanka bufffssssssss.
Yay Karin bufffssssssss.
Yay other characters!

Stuff! Yay!

Cammy buffs - lol. I mean, options.

Honestly I wonder why Chun isn't buffed into the stratosphere regularly, good way to fuel those costume sales lol.

Last edited: