What's new

Street Fighter V General Discussion

SpineRip

Noob
bro dont waste your time with guile. despite what nrs scrubs say the characters is midtier at best and works too hard against the nature of the game i dont blane you if you never use him
Yeah, I'm also a newb and not the best at execution, and to me, he seems like a very hard player to do big combos with. I also suck at hit confirming and need at least two normals before committing to a special, and I couldn't find many of those with him.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Yeah, the "endless ways to play him" bit, kind of messed me up in the beginning (and still somewhat does, but I'm working on it). I kind of found myself just trying everything without any sense of direction. I was just running, jumping, and flipping around, mashing buttons, and getting nowhere fast.

I tried Guile thinking it would add a bit of discipline, and I'm sure he would have if I stuck with him, but I just can't gel with charge characters.

I also love Akuma as a character so I decided instead of learning someone else just to learn discipline and go back to Akuma, it just makes more sense to learn discipline with Akuma.

Yeah. I try to focus on one thing at a time. I'll spend a week or two or whatever - depends on how often I'm playing. Before I sit down I try to say "Ok this is what I'm working on today" and then focus on that. I dont play to win, I almost never do. I play to work on something. Like, the last session I played with a buddy was the continuation of working on Akuma's approach and grounded buttons. Not pressure exactly, but just getting in and controlling the ground game. He plays Abigail so approaching is hard through the super long, but slow, buttons. So I spent a couple sessions just trying to bait his moves and whiff punish, or beat them with my shorter but faster buttons and establish enough respect to get those extra two steps in that put me in range of my best buttons and at a range where I can work on real pressure. Before that I spent a few sessions (a session is usually around 30-40 matches) working on spacing and fireball game, keeping myself safe while forcing Abigail to react to me and have to do something, then my options around that something. Ways to counter the jump, or ways to move in if all he does is swat them, blah blah.

Ive just found it easier to break things down into chunks and kind of centrate on one thing at a time. Eventually you realize you're putting it all together. Like vs the Abigail, while I was working on taking those extra steps, and ways to approach on the ground and establish my ground game/punish/whatever, I realized I was easily sliding back in to my spacing and fireball game where I was relatively safe and could control the pace and what was happening.. then moving in behind those fireballs and working on what I started to work on.

etc.

EntropicByDesign

Yeah, I'm also a newb and not the best at execution, and to me, he seems like a very hard player to do big combos with. I also suck at hit confirming and need at least two normals before committing to a special, and I couldn't find many of those with him.

He's a little further up the execution spectrum, but not terrible for his basic stuff. His various BnBs arent too hard for example, and they give you your two-hit confirms:

Cr.Mp x Cr.Mk x Lk.Tatsu x [Hp.DP or Hk.Tatsu]

Dp is slightly more damage, less stun, slightly less corner carry and a little more advantage on knockdown.. or so it seems. But the more I play him the more I'm convinced that of those two, the Hk.Tatsu is the better option. You still have enough advantage to easily get a dash up meaty cr.mp and the spacing is solid for a jump-in to be made pretty ambiguous.

Cr.Mp x Cr.Mk x Parry+K x [Demon Flip+P or Lk.Tatsu x Hp.Dp or Parry+P]

Demon Flip+P being probably the best ender unless you're going for the side switch with the tatsu x dp. DF+P also gives pretty enormous knockdown advantage. You can dash up and get a cr.hp as a meaty off it if you hit the P after the DF pretty late.

I'm not great at hit confirming myself, its something Im working on. Being able to hit confirm st.mk into tatsu is something I see from high level Akumas a lot and its a powerful thing to have in your arsenal. Dont forget st.mk forces standing, so landing it makes sure your opponent stands up into a tatsu, which will whiff on crouchers otherwise.

Additionally you have double lights into Lk.Tatsu x [Hp.DP or Hk.Tatsu] but if they are crouching the Tatsu whiffs. etc.

Im working on corner pressure sequences myself. B.Hp x Ex.RedFireball is +8 or something absurd, meaning it will jail into cr.mp or st.mp or st.mk or go out to dinner come back and jab.. tons of shit. I rely on throw WAY too much, and I need to step up my pressure game considerably.

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
i totally get you bro back when i was the best guile nobody understood the struggle and they said he was overpowered but as we all know now i just made him seem like that im glad you realize that guile players work super hard to put bread in the table

Just curious, anyone change their menu BGM settings to a theme they like? Mine are Ring of Pride, Ring of Destiny, Shadaloo Base Alternative, SFV right now

SpineRip

Noob
Sorry for the confusion @EntropicByDesign, the post about hard combos was referring to Guile, not that Akuma's are easy by any means, but Guile definitely seems like his really good ones are well beyond my execution level.

About your post though, I prefer the DP after LK Tatsu. I agree with all of your points, but I like the extra little damage, but that's me.

I like your second combo a lot, but I'm still having a hard time cancelling the V-Skill + Kick into Demon Flip... it's not so much the timing, but rather the execution itself, but I'll get it.

I use Cr. MP into St. MK a lot for hit confirms, but also Cr. HP into St. MP if the HP doesn't CC, but if it does then I try to go with St. MK... Still working on it though.

Two St. LP's, or Cr. LK into Cr. LP are good too. That is good to know about the Tatsu whiffing if the they're crouching. That's only a concern with the light confirms, but I hadn't thought of that.

I find if I have two normals in my hit confirming, then I have more time to determine if the first hit was blocked, and if not, then I go into Tatsu, or whatever.

That's good to know about B+HP in red fireball too. I didn't know of that one.

I'm still early in training Akuma (I was a Cammy main until about a week ago) so I haven't really gone into corner specific combos yet, and I dont think I've incorporated B+HP into my strategy at all yet.

Hopefully in the next week or so, I'll start expanding my vocabulary. Right now, I just need to get my basics down. I watched 4 replays from loses in Ranked today and took notes... Yeah, 25 pretty bad tendencies that I need to correct, LOL, so I want to try and widdle that stuff away before getting into the more technical stuff.

SpineRip

Noob
Also @EntropicByDesign, I know I said, I'd be down Ina few hours, a few hours ago, but I just watched some Akuma strategy videos and workshopped a bunch of stuff, and my brain's a little "mushy"...

I feel like I studied hard for a test, but need to take a bit of a break for it to sink in, so that's what I'm going to do.

If you're down, I may be okay to play in a couple of hours (9:30-10 EST) if that works for you. I also have a fair amount of time tomorrow as it's a holiday here in Canada, so just let me know if you're interested and have the time.

EntropicByDesign

Also @EntropicByDesign, I know I said, I'd be down Ina few hours, a few hours ago, but I just watched some Akuma strategy videos and workshopped a bunch of stuff, and my brain's a little "mushy"...

I feel like I studied hard for a test, but need to take a bit of a break for it to sink in, so that's what I'm going to do.

If you're down, I may be okay to play in a couple of hours (9:30-10 EST) if that works for you. I also have a fair amount of time tomorrow as it's a holiday here in Canada, so just let me know if you're interested and have the time.

I work tonight, leaving in 30m or so. Tomorrow I'll have time during the day, from probably 2pm-8pm est.

SpineRip

Noob
i totally get you bro back when i was the best guile nobody understood the struggle and they said he was overpowered but as we all know now i just made him seem like that im glad you realize that guile players work super hard to put bread in the table
TBH, he did seem a bit more powerful before this 2.1 balance patch, but I don't think he was handed anything.

I honestly may have hopped on the Guile OP bandwagon, I don't recall, but now that I really gave him a shot, I realized that his execution ceiling is one of the highest in the game. He isn't OP, but he his powerful - if you're good enough to unlock his potential.

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
TBH, he did seem a bit more powerful before this 2.1 balance patch, but I don't think he was handed anything.

I honestly may have hopped on the Guile OP bandwagon, I don't recall, but now that I really gave him a shot, I realized that his execution ceiling is one of the highest in the game. He isn't OP, but he his powerful - if you're good enough to unlock his potential.
thank you it means so much man i appreciate it. i never got the guile hate or the calls of op pls nerf because he turtled in a game where that strategy is non-existent. he's always been a respectable character and should be toptier just to because his playstyle adds varitey to the game alone

EntropicByDesign

Ill add you in the morning when Im off work. I can always use people to train with. I dont play ranked, so I have no idea where I'd fall if I did. I sat down and got to somewhere in Bronze once, but then started bleeding from my eyes and nose and had to quit playing ranked because it was making me die inside.

SpineRip

Noob
Ill add you in the morning when Im off work. I can always use people to train with. I dont play ranked, so I have no idea where I'd fall if I did. I sat down and got to somewhere in Bronze once, but then started bleeding from my eyes and nose and had to quit playing ranked because it was making me die inside.
I hope you're not one of those people playing Casuals demolishing everyone else because you're better than your rank indicates, lol.

I played against a guy today in Casuals who clearly had a sub-account. He played 12 matches in Rank only, and won them all. He then only played matches in Casual. He had over 900 of them with a 97% win percentage... He's clearly doing it just for easy wins and easy FM.

I hope you're not one of those people playing Casuals demolishing everyone else because you're better than your rank indicates, lol.

I played against a guy today in Casuals who clearly had a sub-account. He played 12 matches in Rank only, and won them all. He then only played matches in Casual. He had over 900 of them with a 97% win percentage... He's clearly doing it just for easy wins and easy FM.
That's what I've been talking about since forever. I've played guys that are ranked rookie or bronze but I swear can compete with anyone. Now I suck and all but still it's easy to see when someone's like miles ahead of what their rank says.

SpineRip

Noob
That's what I've been talking about since forever. I've played guys that are ranked rookie or bronze but I swear can compete with anyone. Now I suck and all but still it's easy to see when someone's like miles ahead of what their rank says.
Yeah, play Ranked, lol. The opponents are actually near your skill level there.

If I see someone in Casuals with a really high Character Experience level and they destroy me, I check their profile after the match and block them if that's what they seem to be doing.