What's new

Street Fighter V General Discussion

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
This is actually a brilliant watch imo.

I've been taking my time away from SFv to dig in to interviews and articles far more than I did before, watching matches more analytically than before, that kind of thing. Very much a physical break from the game, but intellectually , I've hit it harder than before..

I have drawn up some extremely sad conclusions, and the above video does a better job of lining those up in a salt-free way that's well articulated and presented. Great watch.

The sum total to me though, is that Capcom is balancing and building their game based on spectating. It's not balanced for competitive play. It's not even balanced for fun or interesting play. Its not even DESIGNED for that. It's quite literally balanced to be interesting to SPECTATE.

Shrug. I might still check out Ed but I doubt it. Inj2 is just as silly and batshit as sfv (not as well a balanced/tier condensed, but it's early so we'll see) but I find it more fun and less raw frustration.. and with GG Rev2 and Tekken and KOFXIV hovering about, I can easily slake my thirst for a 'serious' competitive game - not that Inj2 isn't/can't be, I just mean my own approach to the game is based around fun and enjoyment more than competitive standing - without having to go back to SFV.

Obviously not a soul gives one shit in a million if I play SF or not and I didn't bring anything to the game of interest to begin with,but with all the options we have as FG fans, I can't help but think sfv is doing to see more bleed off than just me, and I hope if it happens, they wake the fuck up and start making the right kind of changes. My heart will always be in SF, but my ass - for now - is going to be in Inj2 and probably Tekken.
I can relate. I didn't like SF4 or SF5 much although I got decent at SF4 later on and was good at SF5 at launch, but didn't play it long. They're missing something that drew me to SF2 and 3. I2 isn't much fun for me either. Its missing something that drew me to MKX. For Honor has filled in nicely though and I'm very hopeful for Tekken 7.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
I can relate. I didn't like SF4 or SF5 much although I got decent at SF4 later on and was good at SF5 at launch, but didn't play it long. They're missing something that drew me to SF2 and 3. I2 isn't much fun for me either. Its missing something that drew me to MKX. For Honor has filled in nicely though and I'm very hopeful for Tekken 7.

I'm different in that For Honor didnt hold my attention for long and SFIV is the best FG I have ever personally played.

I do want to say though, if someone likes/loves SFV, more power to them. There is a lot to like, and if you can embrace the absurd bullshit at play, the comebacks for instance.. they aren't hype and they aren't interesting. Everyone does them now and the game is BUILT to facilitate this. Once upon a time, shit yeah those comebacks were incredible, but not in V. At least not now. I'm more afraid for the person clearly playing the game well as I am for the person getting outplayed, because it just means they have a VERY solid chance of one-touching the winner into the toilet. The CC system (its a smart system with potential but needs work in implementation), the COMPLETELY guessed based nature of the game.. etc.

None of the above means the game doesn't require skill though, its just a different set of skills that I find less fun and satisfying to exercise than the more 'typical' skill set employed in fighting games. Rushdown beats me 19 out of 20 matches (or worse) and that's not because he's mindlessly winning random coin flips..

Shrug. It makes me profoundly sad to be honest, because I want to love the game.. Especially now with Ed. I REALLY friggen like what I have played of Ed (all in training mode with the Ed hack, haven't played him against people) and after all this time, I FINALLY found a main in Karin. Sigh.

Reactions: GAV

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
I'm different in that For Honor didnt hold my attention for long and SFIV is the best FG I have ever personally played.

I do want to say though, if someone likes/loves SFV, more power to them. There is a lot to like, and if you can embrace the absurd bullshit at play, the comebacks for instance.. they aren't hype and they aren't interesting. Everyone does them now and the game is BUILT to facilitate this. Once upon a time, shit yeah those comebacks were incredible, but not in V. At least not now. I'm more afraid for the person clearly playing the game well as I am for the person getting outplayed, because it just means they have a VERY solid chance of one-touching the winner into the toilet. The CC system (its a smart system with potential but needs work in implementation), the COMPLETELY guessed based nature of the game.. etc.

None of the above means the game doesn't require skill though, its just a different set of skills that I find less fun and satisfying to exercise than the more 'typical' skill set employed in fighting games. Rushdown beats me 19 out of 20 matches (or worse) and that's not because he's mindlessly winning random coin flips..

Shrug. It makes me profoundly sad to be honest, because I want to love the game.. Especially now with Ed. I REALLY friggen like what I have played of Ed (all in training mode with the Ed hack, haven't played him against people) and after all this time, I FINALLY found a main in Karin. Sigh.
I know why I didn't like SFIV. Its the same reason I didn't like SF EX. They both are very delayed from inputs to actual movements on screen. It doesn't bother most players, but it makes me feel nothing when I play them.

StormGoddess

Your mind tricks won't harm me!!!

The next female DLC character appears in Ed's character story. She looks Egyptian.

Menat

There a rumor that character 5 is an Egyptian girl named Menat.
Looks like that is true.
Also, other rumours suggest Abigail is next and Zeku is the last character.

Zeku -Guys Master

Abigail from Final Fight

Last edited:

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs

The next female DLC character appears in Ed's character story. She looks Egyptian.

Menat

There a rumor that character 5 is an Egyptian girl named Menat.
Looks like that is true.
Also, other rumours suggest Abigail is next and Zeku is the last character.

Zeku -Guys Master

Abigail from Final Fight

BRUH. ABIGAIL. Insta-main. He was my fucking favorite back in Final Fight and the perfect Hugo replacement. Plus his whole enraged mode gimmick should lend itself really well to some V Trigger possibilities. Holy shit I'm actually hype for this game again.

Why would what i think have to do with it?
If you cant answer a question with what you think then dont respond lol
Well I don't think he needed fixing at any point. So if you think he did(either that he was too bad or too good) then no. Nothing in this patch should change your mind.

Side note, if you're asking a question based on your own opinion how would what you think have nothing to do with it lol.

So they gave iwate back his points. Guess it was an accident. Feel bad for all the golds/plats that had to deal with that shark taking their points lol.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Kens ex dp is a hkd if you cancel it. It's so people that fall out don't get free punishes.
Would still be able to roll if it was exactly like SFxT. Either way I don't like the idea of "you are now forced to get up at a specific timing leading to easy mixups".

Would still be able to roll if it was exactly like SFxT. Either way I don't like the idea of "you are now forced to get up at a specific timing leading to easy mixups".
easy mixups that require your opponent to spend a bar, pop their trigger, sacrifice damage, and land a hit/jump in in neutral? Come on man, we played Mika in s1 lol, we like our free mixups.

Ambiguous jump setups/safe jumps are pretty much a staple of SF.

I'd be a hell of a lot less salty getting hit by this than a ken that randomly cancels st hp into run or mashed after a blocked b mp.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
easy mixups that require your opponent to spend a bar, pop their trigger, sacrifice damage, and land a hit/jump in in neutral? Come on man, we played Mika in s1 lol, we like our free mixups.

Ambiguous jump setups/safe jumps are pretty much a staple of SF.
Neglected to mention all the other mixups allowed by hard knockdowns. I never said I hate this specific setup. SFV needs a boost of options and style so let Ken burn resources to get a guess. Doesn't matter to me.

Speaking of Mika, perfect example of how SFV is.

Neglected to mention all the other mixups allowed by hard knockdowns. I never said I hate this specific setup. SFV needs a boost of options and style so let Ken burn resources to get a guess. Doesn't matter to me.
All the other mixups such as? Honestly I'm struggling to remember a hkd setup. I know akuma has one off ex dp xx trigger and a meaty off trigger dp, but Urien has none, Laura has none, Mika has none. Etc.

Edit. Necalli gets a meaty off v trigger ca lol.

This game has barely any hkd setup shenanigans.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
All the other mixups such as?
In this game made with an effort to eliminate such things happening? Not much. Doesn't change the fact I don't like the idea of forcing a player to act a certain way which develops a flowchart.

Me saying "I don't like hard knockdowns that force wakeup timings" is not the same as "This mixup is too powerful get rid of it".

Second time you've done this man.