What's new

Street Fighter V General Discussion

Anyone else think the new moves look retarded though? Like the animations for them are 5 tiers below every other animation in the game. Especially giefs headbutt and cammys air throw.

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
the truth is I've worked harder than them to understand the character and his matchups. most of the general gameplay problems people complain about with sfv can be overcome with practice and the game is rarely to blame for their losses, yet people will use it as a shield for their ego. Especially anyone under super diamond.

there's no real excuse (besides online issues) why, for example, your birdie shouldn't be a higher ranking when there's 2 birdies in master rank right now. Not the character or the game. you're just not working hard enough on your problems, it's that simple. you have to get your mind in the right place while you play and adopt a beginner's mindset again if you're stuck. To top it off I really just like my character, the playstyle is literally me

Short answer would be decision making. Not exactly guessing, more like reaching a level of understanding of the game, you, your character, the opponent, the opponent's character that you just seem to "know" things. That's what separates players after learning everything else.
Thanks. And if it wasn't clear - yeah, I totally agree my character isn't what holds me back from being better. Birdie is not top tier but one can obviously reach a much higher level than I'm at with him. It's easier with some characters but possible to get master rank, etc. with anyone in the cast if one puts the work in.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
Nevermind I googled it.

Annnnddddddddd fuck this game. Completely. I'm done.

Why? Why the fuck is that a thing that exists? How much damage does that do? I don't care if it's slow or whatever, how many fucking kicks would need to be landed to equal ONE of those? Karin and Cammy vs Gief are already in Giefs favor MINIMUM, possibly by quite a lot now they literally have.. what? What in the shit can they do? Get up close and personal vs a grappler who wants you up close and personal and who also has the most health in the game and some of the absolute highest damage and a vortex and other horseshit? This probably catches Ibuki's St.hk too.

I know it's only one character, but this shows, to me, that Capcom don't know WTF they're doing, AT ALL. Literally no fucking idea. Cammy gets more shit vs everyone except Gief, Balrog doesn't lose a THING but less than a jabs worth of health, Urien gets a few changes but not the ones he needed.. Guile who was one of the better balanced strong characters gets nerfed, Ryu gets MINOR ass buffs.. Ryus fucking VSKILL PARRY doesn't have as much use an Giefs random ass Parry for.fucks sake.

What are they doing.wofh this game? What the fuck is the direction they are going?

Kolin is released based on set play and thoughtful offense and Oki and such, but she has baby-wearing-mittens damage and all in all probably isn't that great, meanwhile Balrog can 60% you or significantly more off any touch has great health, doesn't need the fancy set play and has just as strong Oki.. to use one example among several.

Akuma got.. 25 health? Wow! Less than a jab!!!! Super! But that's fair right because his damage is SO GOOD.. oh but wait, Gief does more and had a legit vortex. Cammy does as.mucb and more and has a Batshit neutral, Karin kinda does the same shit Cammy does but on a slightly lower level.

Ryu got more.rangd on two important moves. This is good but let's be real.here.. Cammy and Gief who were WAY better, got way more.

Alex got 1f faster on a few key normals, nice, but he's still.goimg to be crappy unless.ome of those normals.now allows.for some.clmbo.or pressure situation that wasn't there previously.

Didn't Chun get nerfed again? When she's already a weak character imo.

Nash is still.sbit.

Just....I know.im salty and in ranting and no one cares and whatever, bit REALLY? We stick by this game.r for this long and this is the best they can offer? A complete and utter misunderstanding of their.own game.peppered with some.od the stupidest shit.. it's like.they ACTIVELY tryinf to push the game into one of into a guess.into death scenarios.
I cannot understand the mentality behind nerfing Chun further but in the same patch buffing Cammy

She's got slow, bad buttons, and a super risky play style that leads to mediocre damage and setups. As for positives, she looks pretty cool that's about it. Imo she's an easy bottom 5.
worth mentioning how excellent her anti airs are. Other than that, no dispute here

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
it's crazy to me that Balrog players actually believe they're good at fighting games. I can't take them seriously

I cannot understand the mentality behind nerfing Chun further but in the same patch buffing Cammy
Capcom bro. Remember Dee Jay?
This is a nerf huh. just do the motion lul
  • Hyakuretsukyaku (Normal/V-Trigger)
    • Changed the number of necessary inputs when rapidly pressing K from 4 to 5
Unfortunately, for some players who press buttons repeatedly either in block stun, hit stun or during combos, this sometimes led to accidental inputs. To alleviate this issue, the number of K inputs has been increased.

Last edited:

God Confirm

it's crazy to me that Balrog players actually believe they're good at fighting games. I can't take them seriously

This is a nerf huh. just do the motion lul
  • Hyakuretsukyaku (Normal/V-Trigger)
    • Changed the number of necessary inputs when rapidly pressing K from 4 to 5
Unfortunately, for some players who press buttons repeatedly either in block stun, hit stun or during combos, this sometimes led to accidental inputs. To alleviate this issue, the number of K inputs has been increased.
and this

• Bug – EX Kikoken granted meter gain on hit or block
  • Fix – No longer grants meter on hit or block
  • Bug – Because her hurtbox was so low when crouching, there were times when opponents at certain distances could not hit or force Chun-Li to block attack
  • Fix - Slightly expanded her crouching hurtbox

if its bug fixes fine, its still going to make her weaker. The question is kinda "why is cammy now getting made stronger, while characters like Chun are given nothing to compensate"

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
and this

• Bug – Because her hurtbox was so low when crouching, there were times when opponents at certain distances could not hit or force Chun-Li to block attack
if its bug fixes fine, its still going to make her weaker. The question is kinda "why is cammy now getting made stronger, while characters like Chun are given nothing to compensate"
an air throw is whatever. Say if Chun didn't have an air throw and they gave her one for this patch would you actually care? let's not pretend air throws are a huge deal lul

it's just weird that they gave Cammy anything no matter how small when she should've been nerfed, right, she has 51 ways to deal with jumping instead of 50 but again no need to pretend like it's relevant . Chun's official balancing isn't a nerf or a buff it's a neutral change that affects the characters gameplan in zero way.

To me it's as silly as saying they "nerfed" Balrog. They "buffed" cammy. "Nerfed" Chun. Sure

God Confirm

an air throw is whatever. Say if Chun didn't have an air throw and they gave her one for this patch would you actually care? let's not pretend air throws are a huge deal lul
i genuinely don't understand what you are saying, as I can't see any changes in the patch notes to any air throw. Do you just mean purely as an example?

if your point is just that these aren't high impact changes, sure, you're absolutely right. I don't think anyone was trying to pretend anything

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
i genuinely don't understand what you are saying, as I can't see any changes in the patch notes to any air throw. Do you just mean purely as an example?

if your point is just that these aren't high impact changes, sure, you're absolutely right. I don't think anyone was trying to pretend anything
I'm saying a Cammy getting an airthrow is about as much a buff as Balrog getting -25 hp is a nerf. By definition ok fine but in practice who cares

the juxtaposition of cammys "buffs"and chun's "nerfs" is a little dramatic

God Confirm

I'm saying a Cammy getting an airthrow is about as much a buff as Balrog getting -25 hp is a nerf. By definition ok fine but in practice who cares

the juxtaposition of cammys "buffs"and chun's "nerfs" is a little dramatic
oh i thought you meant directly in response to Chun, I was trying to work out how her air throw was impacted by the changes. It's obvious now that you've explained it what you meant, my mind didn't make the connection for some reason

FWIW personally I love the air throw, its a reliable AA that goes into knockdown, and I would definitely care if it was just added to Chun, or at this stage even just improved since she already has one. I feel like Chun's biggest failing is the fact that she has a boss neutral so obviously wants to play it, but her AA's are low tier. And on that note, I don't know why but after just switching to her from Vega recently, i dont know why but her air throw feels much worse, their frames are identical so maybe its the fact hurtbox changes that hers got, or maybe its just the jump arc. But yeah it would be cool to me.

However to Cammy, as you said, its just 51 ways instead of 50 to get you in the air. Which is kinda the point imo. What's the mentality there? ah well. I'll still stick with her and work on my reactions for 8f b.HK

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
oh i thought you meant directly in response to Chun, I was trying to work out how her air throw was impacted by the changes. It's obvious now that you've explained it what you meant, my mind didn't make the connection for some reason

FWIW personally I love the air throw, its a reliable AA that goes into knockdown, and I would definitely care if it was just added to Chun, or at this stage even just improved since she already has one. I feel like Chun's biggest failing is the fact that she has a boss neutral so obviously wants to play it, but her AA's are low tier. And on that note, I don't know why but after just switching to her from Vega recently, i dont know why but her air throw feels much worse, their frames are identical so maybe its the fact hurtbox changes that hers got, or maybe its just the jump arc. But yeah it would be cool to me.

However to Cammy, as you said, its just 51 ways instead of 50 to get you in the air. Which is kinda the point imo. What's the mentality there? ah well. I'll still stick with her and work on my reactions for 8f b.HK
I don't know how her aas work against everybody normals but Guile has decent jump normals and she aas him fine even with her lk even, I'm sure against normals like claw Vega or Balrog it's tough but that's the case for most characters.

I mean, not that this determines tier lists, but there is a master rank Chun. How bad can the character really be, how much does she not reward the better player outside matchups against obviously broken characters like Balrog/Urien rn. I feel the same way about Juri in that the character isn't for everybody even though they main her because she's their waifu or whatever so Chun gets this spotlight on her when she isn't an immediate results character when the fanboys play her.

Having neutral can make or break character's like Juri or Chun and sfv isn't forgiving but it's not really a character problem idk

God Confirm

I don't know how her aas work against everybody normals but Guile has decent jump normals and she aas him fine even with her lk even, I'm sure against normals like claw Vega or Balrog it's tough but that's the case for most characters.

I mean, not that this determines tier lists, but there is a master rank Chun. How bad can the character really be, how much does she not reward the better player outside matchups against obviously broken characters like Balrog/Urien rn. I feel the same way about Juri in that the character isn't for everybody even though they main her because she's their waifu or whatever so Chun gets this spotlight on her when she isn't an immediate results character when the fanboys play her.

Having neutral can make or break character's like Juri or Chun and sfv isn't forgiving but it's not really a character problem idk
i agree, ive said myself i think every single character in SFV is viable even the weakest. And this latest patch certainly isn't going to break that in any way. My complaint is more towards the MENTALITY of capcom. The impact of the changes is small, but they are most definitely misplaced imo.

God Confirm

i agree, ive said myself i think every single character in SFV is viable even the weakest. And this latest patch certainly isn't going to break that in any way. My complaint is more towards the MENTALITY of capcom. The impact of the changes is small, but they are most definitely misplaced imo.

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
I don't think every single character is tournament viable at this moment but if like you play online and you're not superdiamond ish rank it's definitely not because of the character you main. That's for sure. Idc who it is.

Capcom isn't making the game worse. I think it's good enough and if the trend is to slightly improve every season slowly well that's fine. Can't please everyone, better luck next season I guess non-top 5 characters

God Confirm

I don't think every single character is tournament viable at this moment but if like you play online and you're not superdiamond ish rank it's definitely not because of the character you main. That's for sure. Idc who it is.

Capcom isn't making the game worse. I think it's good enough and if the trend is to slightly improve every season slowly well that's fine. Can't please everyone, better luck next season I guess non-top 5 characters
how bout "every character is online Master's viable" would you agree with that?

And I think Capcom has handled balance poorly imo, at least, contrary to what they promised.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
and this

These aren't actually new, they were implemented in the Kolin patch but they never gave patch notes for those changes. Chun Li is essentially unchanged in the next patch.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
That headbutt.. and I didn't realize his counter worked vs tatsu and all that.

Why. The. Fuck. Did. He. Need. This.?

It probably works vs guile UDk?

I.. I'm sober today but fucking christ, what is the mindset here?

They wasted time and resources, both of which they CLEARLY don't have in abundance changing Ryu's hp animation AND to give Cammy a move that is at least in the running for dumbest looking move in the game - that in no way effects her in an overly meaningful way.

Yeah, don't spend that extra time and effort making Alex (as much as I hate the fuck) ACTUALLY viable, or don't spend it making fair and reasonable adjustments to the characters that need it.. Gief headbutt just pisses me off. If you have a command grab and dare to use it, you better hope he doesn't scout you're even more fucked now than you were. Etc.

His parry grab move bothers me, maybe im understanding it wrong but now everyone will not want to stick out any footsie normal, not to mention is takes a lot of health. But maybe its a risk/reward where if it's mistimed then it's a full punish?

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
His parry grab move bothers me, maybe im understanding it wrong but now everyone will not want to stick out any footsie normal, not to mention is takes a lot of health. But maybe its a risk/reward where if it's mistimed then it's a full punish?

Yeah you'll get a huge punish if he uses it wrong, but it's massive damage by itself means if he lands one then fucks one up you don't get THAT much of a health swing in your direction. Coupled with his best-in-game health, he can afford to miss one, where characters like Akuma/Cammy/Karin etc can't afford to miss one at all. Does he get Oki of it? Surely he does =/ I haven't checked.

The issue is a Gief isn't going to just throw it out up close.. you'd just use it in that sweet spot range where these types of long range moves are used, if he whiffs one at that distance I can't imagine many characters being able to get close enough to meaningfully capitalize. This move isn't OP or anything, it's slow and situational, but it is literally an ultra specific tool that will totally shred the space control of several characters, all of whom ALREADY struggle against Gief. The only viable way to deal with him is keeping him out, keeping him at that sweet spot where you can poke him and dart in to initiate offense, then get back out if things go badly, but this move takes that ability away by making my 60 damage St.mk potentially cost me 180+ damage (judging by the videos)..

Add in the NJ headbutt that does a third of your damn stun bar almost.. I mean, aside from his vtrigger auto stun combo that headbutt will be insanely strong used right.

This is some Martian Manhunter type buffing. It's disgusting and shows Capcom are utterly and totally disconnected from their own game.

I'ma just fucking play Gief. There is LITERALLY no reason not to. Aside from Dhalsim, who now has fewer options vs him as well since that counter can catch his kicks, does Gief having any losing just?