What's new

Street Fighter V General Discussion

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
The entire SF3 series was a commercial failure. 3rd Strike is considered a monumental success in the competitive realm, but the series itself was a commercial failure. That's not to say we don't have some memorable characters that not only have lasting appeal but have generated emotional attachment from that series either, but that still doesn't make the game a commercial success.

The biggest gripe people had with the SF3 series was the overwhelming lack of familiar faces, and the only group that stuck with the series are the hardcore competitive players.

This isn't as much the case in SFV, but I would venture to guess that casuals know who Ken, Ryu, Akuma, Sakura and Sagat are. The latter two are conspicuosly missing from the cast, and are both extremely requested. Likewise, Blanka is iconic, and casuals immediately recognize him. I fully believe that casuals would be brought back by familiarity, not by intimidating new faces that they don't recognize.
I didn't say SF3 was a commercial success. In fact, it sort of killed the fighting game scene for several years. But in retrospect, it added a lot of value to the series. The only problem was that they didn't have enough familiar faces to start with. Everybody was like "who are these characters?". SFV has plenty of classic characters, so now it's time to recruit some new blood. I'm not necessarily saying it's going to work, but it's worth a shot. Look at Overwatch. It's a 100% new ip and it's doing extremely well. Capcom knows it messed up with the casual crowd at launch, so now they have to excite them wkith fresh new characters.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
I have 45m before work and need to work on this whole 'WTF DOES KARIN DO' thing. Hit me up on Steam for games... Or MKX if thats yer thing. I wanna try Shinnok.

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
So ISDD confirms that his mediums link and he can combo after upside down kick without out counterhit

Why would they give Guile such a useless buff like that? They should hire bumdown to design their fighting games 2bh he knows the game after spending a few months in super silver he'll show them how it's done he's so gdlk lul

So ISDD confirms that his mediums link and he can combo after upside down kick without out counterhit

Why would they give Guile such a useless buff like that? They should hire bumdown to design their fighting games 2bh he knows the game after spending a few months in super silver he'll show them how it's done he's so gdlk lul
Well I also said they shouldn't nerf loops. So yeah they add shit when they take away. Also for someone that shits on capcoms terrible design you seem to be putting a lot of faith in them now. But what do I know, maybe if I stick my head up my own ass as far is yours is I'll see what you see.

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
ya when Dieminion chooses to use fang against Smug's Balrog over Guile because he can't get a round you know it's not a good matchup lul

The Slaj Jazz

TIckle my sweet salty nips
ya when Dieminion chooses to use fang against Smug's Balrog over Guile because he can't get a round you know it's not a good matchup lul
Hey boys about to come on if anyone wants to play. Once again please forgive me if I do weird shit my dpad is broken

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
Ok birdman.

I think he's very solid. Great normals, easy execution (this seems like a minor consideration, but I think it helps everyone to some degree, making conversions in to damage and such off unexpected, stray hits much easier). Great damage. He has a good neutral presence and can function and function well, without ever using a command grab.

Why is not using a command grab a good thing? It means you can play him in a number of ways, and being able to switch out those styles can and will confound opponents and stymie adaptations. SFV, unfortunately, doesn't do a great universal job of allowing characters to play multiple ways or allow multiple styles to flourish 'under one roof'. Birdie seems to be able to kick ass in a number of ways. He can pressure, he can space control and semi-zone, grappler, he has mind games and tricks and silly shit.. He can adapt on several levels.

Shrug, I think he's awesome and he's a solid character. He's not top 5 or anything but he can beat just about any one and some of his shit is SO SATISFYING
Agreed with the above. Would add that his biggest weakness in season 1 (besides the lack of reversals) is his lack of post knockdown follow ups. IMO he is, without exaggeration, one of the worst in the game in this category, and I don't think non-Birdie players realize this (his other strengths make up for it to some degree, so he's a mid tier character overall).

Outside of the corner, he cannot get any meaty pressure after a headbutt if the opponent back techs. Even if they quick tech, and Birdie predicts this correctly, his options are limited. His only confirmable combo that hits meaty (that I can think of) is counterhit st lk into st mk after a light headbutt. This does very little damage, and only works after specific starters (e.g., works after cr lk, st lk, lp headbutt but not st lk x2, lp headbutt). Even in the corner he has no way to cover both techs after a headbutt. After the dolphin dives (revengers), his meaty follow ups are weak too. Dash is unsafe at -3, so he's left with just the slide (which can be fuzzied). His ex chain only gets him a meaty dash st mk with no follow ups. His command throw has good follow ups in the corner but nowhere else.

To win with Birdie you have to win the neutral several times, which isn't that hard, given his good normals. However, can be really frustrating when some other characters hit you once, you guess wrong a couple times, and you're dead.

portent

Noob

The King, Q, the katana chick, and Garuda ??? **faints**
Wow, where did you find This?

I cannot, for the life of me, dispute that these images match the silhouettes. Theonly one that is a hair off is the Sodom one but it could be that it's just a bit obscured. If this is in fact correct, then we are getting the 50% rule:

Akuma, Q, Sodom(or Garuda), all pre-existing characters to the SFU, and 3 additional characters that are completely new.

portent

Noob
First, please check out my previous post. It seems that the images inserted match the silhouettes, so this may make this entire discussion moot at this point if it's correct as the image would imply the 50% rule.

I honestly don't know. They could be burying the lead. But I find it hard to believe there is this huge populace of sagat and Sakura mains that didn't buy because their old main isn't in and putting them in would bring them back for season 2. I can't PERSONALLY think of anyone from 4 or 3 that i would rather see than necalli, Rashid, etc. I played Hakan and Seth in 4 and I don't even care that they're not in 5. In a way I'm glad to be learning someone different from what I was used to.
Personally, I cannot stand Rashid. Necalli, however, has so much potential as a character. Likewise, I'm not saying that new characters are a bad thing. However, we are on a competitive site that focuses on more than just casual play, so we are not your average casual FG players, therefore we are not as intimidated by learning new characters.

I didn't say SF3 was a commercial success. In fact, it sort of killed the fighting game scene for several years. But in retrospect, it added a lot of value to the series. The only problem was that they didn't have enough familiar faces to start with. Everybody was like "who are these characters?". SFV has plenty of classic characters, so now it's time to recruit some new blood. I'm not necessarily saying it's going to work, but it's worth a shot. Look at Overwatch. It's a 100% new ip and it's doing extremely well. Capcom knows it messed up with the casual crowd at launch, so now they have to excite them wkith fresh new characters.
Rip, believe me, I get it. And SF3 did add a ton of value to future titles for sure! The problem is that in terms of business (as fans we love to see what we want to see), SF3's strategy did not pan out. Based on that alone, I would venture to guess that isn't a chance they're willing to take once again. It's very different though, with a brand new IP. You're expecting something fresh and new, with new characters and a new story. Again, I think striking a balance between classic and new is the best business approach.