What's new

Street Fighter V General Discussion

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
I'd say generally good pressure characters. So mika, necalli, laura, etc. I've found good projectile users, like a good guile or ryu to be troubling because you have to play pretty tight to get around zoning and apply pressure. I feel like he has the tools but they're like a really complex puzzle and picking the wrong piece ruins you. He doesn't really have a dirty play he can abuse like most of the cast besides cloud on knockdown and that only really works on crush counter sweep.

sub_on_dubs

Online Scrub Lord
That's funny because I heard Mike Ross say that Fang is a bad mu for Laura, but I see where you're coming from because Laura relies heavily on pressure and knockdowns. I still like a challenge though so I'll be studying Xian and Sonic Fox's Fang.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Fang beats birdie just saying. @buyacushun agrees
Yeah the slower dudes I think have trouble against F.A.N.G. Especially since it seems Capcom compensated with armor but everything F.A.N.G. Does hits twice. But they all have command grab or CC oki and F.A.N.G. Sucks the most on wakeup.

I think he might be great against Vega. Need to fight good ones more.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
That's funny because I heard Mike Ross say that Fang is a bad mu for Laura, but I see where you're coming from because Laura relies heavily on pressure and knockdowns. I still like a challenge though so I'll be studying Xian and Sonic Fox's Fang.
I can see that. I can see him beating her with defensive play. I can only give you a general idea. So just as a cautionary thing, getting up with F.A.N.G. Or just getting out of trouble is harder with him. I haven't been playing against randoms lately. Mostly sets against tym players.

@bdizzle2700 you trying to play? Anyone?

@GoofyGrip - I've been hearing about this discord thing but have no idea what it is.
google "discord". It's a free app or web-based app. We started a server for beginners on there. You use text (typing) or voice. Basically, i posted looking for beginners to play on Reddit, and i got too many people replying, so me and a buddy started a Discord server so we can all play eachother. You should look us up!

We got about 10 people in there now all about the same n00b level. I'm still waiting to hear back from a couple people as well. We're not looking to make it anything big, just a small group to level up and learn from.

Once you get it installed, let me know and ill send you an invite

sub_on_dubs

Online Scrub Lord
I can see that. I can see him beating her with defensive play. I can only give you a general idea. So just as a cautionary thing, getting up with F.A.N.G. Or just getting out of trouble is harder with him. I haven't been playing against randoms lately. Mostly sets against tym players.

@bdizzle2700 you trying to play? Anyone?
Laura doesn't have a wake up either so I'm used to it.

Yeah the slower dudes I think have trouble against F.A.N.G. Especially since it seems Capcom compensated with armor but everything F.A.N.G. Does hits twice. But they all have command grab or CC oki and F.A.N.G. Sucks the most on wakeup.

I think he might be great against Vega. Need to fight good ones more.
no. Vega punishes fang full screen with slide when he throws fireballs and he can on reaction punish the cloud with ex flip. Plus he's got 3 frame moves and can pressure him with claw off quite well and has a command grab. Vega super scurry in that matchup.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Laura doesn't have a wake up either so I'm used to it.
Yeah but laura at least had an armor so you can blow up some stuff. Trust me it's a whole different beast with F.A.N.G. I think his best option might be v-reversal which I need to remember to use more.
no. Vega punishes fang full screen with slide when he throws fireballs and he can on reaction punish the cloud with ex flip. Plus he's got 3 frame moves and can pressure him with claw off quite well and has a command grab. Vega super scurry in that matchup.
Ex flip? And I didn't know about the slide thing. But then what about using buttons? I don't have to fireball or cloud. I felt he wins mostly off of buttons.

Yeah but laura at least had an armor so you can blow up some stuff. Trust me it's a whole different beast with F.A.N.G. I think his best option might be v-reversal which I need to remember to use more.

Ex flip? And I didn't know about the slide thing. But then what about using buttons? I don't have to fireball or cloud. I felt he wins mostly off of buttons.
yeah his ex flip kicks goes through the cloud. And buttons I'd give the edge to vega as well. He's got 3 frame normals and his stand mp is +1 his crmk is +2 and he's got the best walk speed in the game.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
yeah his ex flip kicks goes through the cloud. And buttons I'd give the edge to vega as well. He's got 3 frame normals and his stand mp is +1 his crmk is +2 and he's got the best walk speed in the game.
Oh you meant roll ok. Yeah in that case then you just be careful when he has meter. Stopping the cloud wouldn't really stop F.A.N.G.

When you say slide you mean cr.HK? Cause tha doesn't hit even from start.

Idk, I've only faced one really good Vega but I think F.A.N.G can hold his own in neutral. The 3 frame lights wouldn't be much of a problem. You'd be spending time just at arms length with F.A.N.G. Against Vega. Isn't st.mp short? Kind of like bison's st.mp. Short but with a nice hitbox.

Edit: I just tested it and the ex roll would have to be done close or on a read/very quick "reaction" to hit. Otherwise it's getting blocked.

Oh you meant roll ok. Yeah in that case then you just be careful when he has meter. Stopping the cloud wouldn't really stop F.A.N.G.

When you say slide you mean cr.HK? Cause tha doesn't hit even from start.

Idk, I've only faced one really good Vega but I think F.A.N.G can hold his own in neutral. The 3 frame lights wouldn't be much of a problem. You'd be spending time just at arms length with F.A.N.G. Against Vega. Isn't st.mp short? Kind of like bison's st.mp. Short but with a nice hitbox.

Edit: I just tested it and the ex roll would have to be done close or on a read/very quick "reaction" to hit. Otherwise it's getting blocked.
its safe and he's in still.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
its safe and he's in still.
Yeah but then he's negative two. So he's in a throw/strike mixup. He either ex spins (to beat throw), supers, or blocks. I wouldn't really call that getting in. And again F.A.N.G. Would have to do the cloud right outside of where he would be throwing normals. I'd rather take my chances putting out a v-skill poison. Or fish for df.HP.

Yeah but then he's negative two. So he's in a throw/strike mixup. He either ex spins (to beat throw), supers, or blocks. I wouldn't really call that getting in. And again F.A.N.G. Would have to do the cloud right outside of where he would be throwing normals. I'd rather take my chances putting out a v-skill poison. Or fish for df.HP.
-2 at that range shouldn't be a mixup I don't think fang can throw him without walking forward. I'd have to test it.

But he's spent a bar and now he's -2 in your face and he also has no reversal... Might be a decent use of the bar but doesn't seem like a match deciding option
hes only minus 2 if he reacts slow and it's blocked. Ideally he punished the cloud like I said which gives him corner carry and a knockdown. I'm not saying this is matchup winning tech but fang can't safely cloud to setup his projectiles and he can't throw them without it since slide is a free punish.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
His super isn't invincible so that's not really an option either

does anyone know how to fight laura as nash? im so confused
Lol is there a mistake? It's really ALWAYS the other way around. Anyways I believe Nash vs Laura generally favors Nash big. There's a couple of Nash and Laura players here so hopefully they'll reply. It's all training and matchup experience bro, hang in there.,

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Hey all, had a good little set with Buya tonight and it made me think that I've progressed to the point where I'm not just learning street fighter now. Now I'm at the point where I learn the match ups.

Currently I've just sort of faffed about and went with the flow of things. How do you all go about learning matchups? What are all the steps that you personally do to figure out how to fight against a character?

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
hes only minus 2 if he reacts slow and it's blocked. Ideally he punished the cloud like I said which gives him corner carry and a knockdown. I'm not saying this is matchup winning tech but fang can't safely cloud to setup his projectiles and he can't throw them without it since slide is a free punish.
And I'm saying ideally you wouldn't do cloud at the distance roll would punish. And if slide is cr.HK then I don't see how that's a free fireball punish. It doesn't even hit from start position. I don't see how any of this tech actually bothers F.A.N.G.

His super isn't invincible so that's not really an option either
Wouldn't even have super cause vega spent a bar. He either spends another or blocks or jumps.

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
Lol is there a mistake? It's really ALWAYS the other way around. Anyways I believe Nash vs Laura generally favors Nash big. There's a couple of Nash and Laura players here so hopefully they'll reply. It's all training and matchup experience bro, hang in there.,
im just extremely lacking matchup experience i got this game like 3 weeks ago im ultra bronze and terrible lol but i just have no idea how to deal with the pressure since i have no reversal i just backdash or jump out but get rushed down the whole fight

sub_on_dubs

Online Scrub Lord
Hey all, had a good little set with Buya tonight and it made me think that I've progressed to the point where I'm not just learning street fighter now. Now I'm at the point where I learn the match ups.

Currently I've just sort of faffed about and went with the flow of things. How do you all go about learning matchups? What are all the steps that you personally do to figure out how to fight against a character?
I just started taking notes on each mu on my phone. First time I've done this and I feel like it's paying dividends.

im just extremely lacking matchup experience i got this game like 3 weeks ago im ultra bronze and terrible lol but i just have no idea how to deal with the pressure since i have no reversal i just backdash or jump out but get rushed down the whole fight
maybe its because i play too space control/zoning heavy
Yea a post above yours also asked about matchup experience, but don't worry the guys on this sub forum are always willing to help and they play against each other and give tips and critique.

Fangs projectiles have 48 recovery frames Vegas slide is 9 frame startup and 9 frames active. So even at maximum possible slide range he'd have 30 frames to slide in and hit. And a trade there would be in his favor with the knockdown.