What's new

Street Fighter V General Discussion

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Many talk about ryu's parry but honestly I've seen people use that like once in any tournament. The general idea is if you can parry might as well DP. I mean yea theoretically it sounds good but as far as people and top players using it then it has to be the less used move of all time.
In certain situations, successful parry nets a higher reward. Parry over DP can be the difference between 40% with all 3 bars and 40% with VT activation.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
i personally think Ryu has a bad matchup vs Nash. Nothing terrible but I think Nash forces Ryu to play the kinda game Nash wants to play. I also kinda like Karin vs Ryu but that might still be 5-5.
This what I got from daigo's notes. Nash's v-skill makes ryu play less like ryu. Ryu has to play more like a grappler, pacing slowly towards the corner.

I'd say that it's mostly around 6:4 in Nash favor, which isn't that bad in Street Fighter terms. Even then, he has a tool (parry) which has been historically proven (3rd Strike) to alleviate bad match ups.
Yeah but isn't 3rd strike parry way better than this one. Ryu can't parry during blockstrings nor in the air for one. Plus no dope score bonus.

This what I got from daigo's notes. Nash's v-skill makes ryu play less like ryu. Ryu has to play more like a grappler, pacing slowly towards the corner.

Yeah but isn't 3rd strike parry way better than this one. Ryu can't parry during blockstrings nor in the air for one. Plus no dope score bonus.
Yea, Ryu's parry seems really weak at the moment, but yes it's still too early to know exactly how good or bad any move really is, but as of this moment this has to be the least used vSkill in SF 5 honestly.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Many talk about ryu's parry but honestly I've seen people use that like once in any tournament. The general idea is if you can parry might as well DP. I mean yea theoretically it sounds good but as far as people and top players using it then it has to be the less used move of all time.
Think of moves like moonlie's charlessault. Why reaction with a button instead of parrying into 400+ dmg?
It would be if you played Dark Souls instead of CoD. :D
whats this fgtry

Think of moves like moonlie's charlessault. Why reaction with a button instead of parrying into 400+ dmg?

whats this fgtry
Yea in theory it sounds great, but like I said I'm still not buying it as an awesome vskill that a lot of people say. You get rewarded but you can also get a 400+ damage if it isn't timed perfectly and with DP you're guaranteed to get damage and be safe. I mean maybe in the future that'll be the best vskill in the game, maybe that's what we'll see most at every tournament, but as of now then it's fair to say we don't know how to properly use it or it sucks and im sure it's the first, and I'm not saying it should be way better because Ryu is pretty strong overall I'm just saying it's hardly ever used...yet.

Last edited:

vicious1024

Does it matter?
Tokido is already incorporating OS parries against V-Reversals and parrying poorly spaced punish attempts.

Ryu's V-Skill is really good. But the fact that it has a few frames of startup and a bunch of recovery, means that it's usefulness is very situational and very risky.

myri

Time Warrior
Had this game for a while, been meaning to get into it and I was wondering what are your opinions on a good starting character/main for me based on these things;

- Never played a Street Fighter game before.
- I play on a pad not a stick.
- In MKX I play mostly Tempest Kung Lao and Shaolin Kung Jin with some Sektor and Bo' Rai Cho as well.

I know SF and MK and quite different games but I hope there's a character that would fit my play style. Otherwise I'll just pick whoever looks coolest.

Anyone who says anti-airing in SF V isn't that good should watch tokido vs a cammy player, can't recall his name in TW fighter major that's on twitch right now. I counted like 12 anti airs, IN ONE ROUND!... BY ONE PLAYER.
*debate closed.

Had this game for a while, been meaning to get into it and I was wondering what are your opinions on a good starting character/main for me based on these things;

- Never played a Street Fighter game before.
- I play on a pad not a stick.
- In MKX I play mostly Tempest Kung Lao and Shaolin Kung Jin with some Sektor and Bo' Rai Cho as well.

I know SF and MK and quite different games but I hope there's a character that would fit my play style. Otherwise I'll just pick whoever looks coolest.
start with Ryu. He's the character that everyone else is built around in terms of balance. His tools are varied and he can be played in a lot of different ways. He'll teach you the basics without letting you develop bad habits(I'm looking at you birdie mains).

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
-----------------------------
|Cammy Notes, (pre) Launch Day|
-----------------------------

ST = Standing
CR - Crouching
B = Back/Away
F = Forward/Toward
H = Heavy
M = Medium
L = Light
P - Punch
K = Kick
~ = Target Combo
xx = Special Cancel
CA = Critical Art/Super
CC = Crush Counter
/ = Or
** = Note to reader

-----
General Cammy Notes
-----
-CR. LP is 3f, excellent for punishing as it can lead to CA
-Don't use V-trigger and super in a combo, pick one to optimise meter usage.
-Difference in DAMAGE between F.HK combos and ST.MP combos are so minimal (2 points of damage).
--Difference in STUN between F.HK combos and ST.MP combos are larger. (45 points of stun)
-All Canon Spikes invincible, LK version works closer than expecter. All cancel into CA
-In corner, you can connect a Canon Spike or CA after a Razors Edge
-Cannot combo off of CR.MK XX V-TRIGGER

------
DP Punish Combos
------
CC ST.HK, ST.HP XX CA (440/315) *TESTED AFTER KNOCKDOWN, ROUGH DAMAGE/STUN VALUES BECAUSE SCALING*
CC ST.HK, ST.HP XX V-TRIGGER, ST.HP XX H SPIRAL ARROW, H CANON SPIKE (388/610)
ST.MP, ST.HP XX SPIRAL ARROW (212/355)
ST.MP, ST.HP XX V-TRIGGER, ST.HP XX H SPIRAL ARROW, H CANON SPIKE (340/530)
ST.MP, ST.HP XX H CANON SPIKE XX CA (447/395)
F.HK, CR.MP XX V-TRIGGER, CR.MK XX H SPIRAL ARROW, H CANON SPIKE (321/450)
F.HK, CR.MP XX H SPIRAL ARROW (214/310)

------
Tighter Punish Combos
------
CR.LP, B.MP~ST.HK XX CA (369/240)
CR.LP, B.MP~ST.HK XX H CANON SPIKE XX CA (407/380)
CR.LP, B.MP~ST.HK XX H CANON SPIKE(222/280)
CR.LP, CR.LP~ H CANON SPIKE (118/253)
CR.LP, B.MP XX V-TRIGGER, ST.HP XX H SPIRAL ARROW, H CANON SPIKE(282/455)
CR.LP XX CA (317/70) *Last reort if out of range for anything else to link.

------
Anti-Air
------
ST.HK
CANON SPIKE XX HK CA (417/200)

------
Frame Traps
------
Beats 4 frame jabs:
-CR.LP
--CR.MP/B.MP

-ST.MP
--CR.LP/CR.MP/CR.LK

-CR.MP
--CR.LP/B.MP/CR.LK/ST.LP

-F.HK
--CANON SPIKE

-----
Tech
-----
-EX Dive Kick --> light jab --> forward dash
--Do jab when body is high = fast side switch
--Do jab when body is lower = fake side switch
---Cancel into Hooligan Comination for more shenanigans to throw them off.

I got the game a little but earlier but most of it should still be relevant.
if DP is dragon punch, how come theres notation for DP in this short cammy guide?

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
well guise it finally happened

i beat all you scrubs free af and now there's nothing left to prove. i can retire as the best sfv player on tym

perhaps even the world

myri

Time Warrior
start with Ryu. He's the character that everyone else is built around in terms of balance. His tools are varied and he can be played in a lot of different ways. He'll teach you the basics without letting you develop bad habits(I'm looking at you birdie mains).
Yes.

You see I was going to do that.

But I started playing Laura and she's fun + cool character design so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
Yes.

You see I was going to do that.

But I started playing Laura and she's fun + cool character design so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Do that, you have FG experience so you don't really need to start with Ryu off the bat, there's only a couple very challenging characters to learn I think, like Dhalsim I guess