What's new

Street Fighter V General Discussion

d3v

SRK
You have to force yourself to learn how to tech throws on "reaction"

In my experience, teching throws in SFV was hard at first coming from MKX because MKX taught you not to tech throws because it was too risky when you could easily avoid the situation or neutral crouch and full punish.

However, teching throws in SFV is much more intuitive. You have to react to and read throws at the same time. Its much more intuitive, requires work and is one the reasons top players get opened up ny "shimmies".

You have to react to the walk forwards timing and also the timing of a throw after blocked jumpin punch plus player tendencies into throw. Its not easy.
Alot of teching throws in SF, especially in games not numbered IV, are based more on "prediction" than "reaction". So it's more about learning your opponents tendencies and habits so you can read when they're going to make a throw attempt.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
You want a mike ross video explaining all the semantics of throws in SFV?
You realize there's more to a throw system besides: "Press this to throw" "Press the same thing to tech a throw"?
Yeah it's just very easy to understand too, it's so simple unlike MKX where it's kinda more complicated.
I would call MKX's more random because it's a guess on left or right.

Anyways, I've found some pieces here and there. But didn't understand it at first glance. I'll look more into it when I'm not busy.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
You realize there's more to a throw system besides: "Press this to throw" "Press the same thing to tech a throw"?

I would call MKX's more random because it's a guess on left or right.

Anyways, I've found some pieces here and there. But didn't understand it at first glance. I'll look more into it when I'm not busy.
Yeah, in MKX you have to guess between forward/back throw and not be blocking in order to tech it so it's a harder mechanic to get down.

sub_on_dubs

Online Scrub Lord
SFV is definitely easier to tech throws. A lot of the time it's obvious situations where they're going to throw or could throw. With MKX, there's more variables to it. I'm always amazed when people consistently tech throws in MKX. Scar is a god at teching throws and I have no idea how he does it. He must have Snake Eyes like reactions.

d3v

SRK
The main (and possibly only) key to teching throws in Street Fighter is this: Did you notice that your opponent is throwing you after a certain situation? Are you in that same situation again? They'll probably throw, so throw to tech it.

@MylesWright_

I'll be back 3ing
All the cool cats know that you don't tech throws in SFV. You take the grab and go back to neutral or your doing some kind of OS; trying to actually tech a throw is suicide which is why I don't understand why people get shimmied by Cammy midscreen.

You can't shimmy me because I'm not teching the throw. Even if I know it's a throw I'm not taking the risk and getting counter-hit or whiff punished for half my health

I don't think anyone can tech throw on reaction, the window is just too small, you have to read a throw and just think that if your opponent is too close they might throw.

do you have some kind of secret ways to tech a throw or something? what do you mean
How are you gonna come in here asking how the throw system works and then get angsty when we try to explain
it to you?

here is a video explaining the throw sytem. i think its still applicable even though it was made in the Beta.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
All the cool cats know that you don't tech throws in SFV. You take the grab and go back to neutral or your doing some kind of OS; trying to actually tech a throw is suicide which is why I don't understand why people get shimmied by Cammy midscreen.

You can't shimmy me because I'm not teching the throw. Even if I know it's a throw I'm not taking the risk and getting counter-hit or whiff punished for half my health
Cammy's throw is whatever midscreen so you can afford to get grabbed since she doesn't get anything off it but let's say... Laura, she has set-ups with her throws so you can't really afford to get hit by it.
The thing with Cammy's throws is that their corner carry is good, once you're in the corner her mix-ups become a bit better.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
do you have some kind of secret ways to tech a throw or something? what do you mean
How are you gonna come in here asking how the throw system works and then get angsty when we try to explain
it to you?

here is a video explaining the throw sytem. i think its still applicable even though it was made in the Beta.
I've already looked at that guy's info. I'm sure that video says more then "press throw when you think you'll get thrown". He talked about the frames in the throw system as well as some special situation you can and cannot tech in.

You haven't explained the system at all. That's why I responded with my question. I asked if anyone knew the system in depth and I got a bunch vague theory stuff and one or two responses actually about the system.

Did you know that capcom put in a patch where if you press something besides throw you get locked out for 2 frames? At least I'm pretty sure that's what that next. And they increased pre jump vertical and backwards 1 frame?

bdizzle2700

gotta stay sharp!
I've already looked at that guy's info. I'm sure that video says more then "press throw when you think you'll get thrown". He talked about the frames in the throw system as well as some special situation you can and cannot tech in.

You haven't explained the system at all. That's why I responded with my question. I asked if anyone knew the system in depth and I got a bunch vague theory stuff and one or two responses actually about the system.

Did you know that capcom put in a patch where if you press something besides throw you get locked out for 2 frames? At least I'm pretty sure that's what that next. And they increased pre jump vertical and backwards 1 frame?
Im pretty sure those were os. I remeber hearing birdie had a tech os or some so his jump frames increased by 1

bdizzle2700

gotta stay sharp!
Interesting. How complicated would you say it is? keep in mind i'm consistently bad at most games i play lol
Its actually pretty easy. Its a, easy to pick up hard to master. I rarely touched any sf game and this one is easy to play and you can win on fundmentals alone. If tou wanna get good you dive into the complicated mind games and set ups but as a pick up game you can do ok lol.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Im pretty sure those were os. I remeber hearing birdie had a tech os or some so his jump frames increased by 1
Yeah the changes were done to battle against OSes that the whole cast had. But it's useful info to know. Especially when discussing the throw system.

Like I never noticed that when a throw tech happens, the attacker is pushed back unless in the corner. Also never noticed the "throw escape" message for the escapee. But the first statement is the one of importance to me.