What's new

Steam database achievements - Roster speculation

Jhonnykiller45

Shirai Ryu
To be honest I just think NRS is waiting too long to show everything off. Before the Reveal Event happened, I thought for sure that they were going to have like 10-12 characters in the playable build. Nope, just 7, roughly the same number we would get around E3 with previous NRS games. The weird thing about is that they pretty much openly showed certain characters in trailers (Cassie Cage, Kitana, Liu Kang, Kung Lao, etc) and others on menus (Kano, and who seem to be Rain and Noob Saibot), etc, so it's weird how they didn't go ahead and show some of those off in-game.

They have waited so long we are pretty much 2 months away from release and we've only seen gameplay of 8 characters. Even though most of the game is done and they are sitting on some really juicy stuff, they decide to reveal multiple characters like Kano and D'Vorah officially by using renders? Like what? Now they are getting the Achievement stuff done and are pretty much leaking everything themselves.

I'm not complaining, just saying it's an odd approach that almost seems to be backfiring in some way (mainly the Achievements thing). To be fair the rosters of past NRS games were leaked, but that's because a dev or someone close to a dev spoiled it. It seems they are putting a lot of effort into keeping things secret this time, so it's kinda a shame that they kinda ended up leaking the thing themselves anyway.
NetherRealm can't really be at fault for these achievements leaking though. QLOC is responsible for the PC version. Only thing NRS can be blamed for is creating the achievements in the first place, but how would they know this would happen

I reckon this is closer to the truth.

Several 'behind the scenes' confirms being on that list but not Kitana is way too suspect IMO.
Remember, the achievement list shows 20 chars. 3 are unknown and 2 are missing. Base roster is 25. There are spots remaining.

NetherRealm can't really be at fault for these achievements leaking though. QLOC is responsible for the PC version. Only thing NRS can be blamed for is creating the achievements in the first place, but how would they know this would happen
Because steamdb.info is online since 2012?

Reactions: Mst
If you count the confirmed characters along with the ones on the achievements, that's about 22 characters total. That's NOT including Johnny Cage, Kitana, Rain, and Noob Saibot who we've seen in-game and/or on the menus. Roster could be:
  1. Scorpion
  2. Sub-Zero
  3. Raiden
  4. Liu Kang
  5. Johnny Cage
  6. Sonya Blade
  7. Kano
  8. Kung Lao
  9. Kitana
  10. Baraka
  11. Kabal
  12. Jade
  13. Noob Saibot
  14. Rain
  15. Frost
  16. Skarlet
  17. Cassie Cage
  18. Jacqui Briggs
  19. D'Vorah
  20. Kotal Kahn
  21. Erron Black
  22. Geras
  23. New
  24. New
  25. New
  26. Shao Kahn
26 characters in total but we know 25 will be in the game. It's possible that Shao Kahn is separate from said 25 and so he's actually a 26th bonus character.
This looks to be the roster if this steam achievement leak is true!

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
Thinking about this, unless Shang Tsun is a secret unlockable char, this could be fake, like a big troll move from Boon in coordination with the guys from Qloc. That Liu from the trailer throwing the fireskull hints too much towards Shang, there is no doubt in my mind.

Gamer68

Fujin!
I don't think QLOC is 100% to blame. I'm pretty sure NRS, WB, QLOC, and whatever other studios/developers/publishers involved with their projects keep communications active. It's obviously an oversight and slip-up, but I think there's a pretty good chance NRS knew these Achievements were going to get finished up and put in-place.

Literally the most requested character I see anywhere discussing this game is Jade and she’s black, what the hell are you on about.

Most of the characters in this series and the ones people want the most aren’t even white.
?? jade is asian i looked it up "shes either asian or middle eastern" have you seen her in MK MOBILE? they completely switched her skin tone from black to WHITE or Yellow-ish.

Spinky

Restless Dreamer
Brown or not, she is waaaaay lighter than usual.

But she's also wearing a Li Mei concept design, and it's only the mobile game so who cares. I doubt we're gonna have white Jade in this game when NRS darkened the hell out of Tanya after people complained.

Grape Juice City

Shaolin boyz
So you're telling me that after the conception of Triborg, who was essentially 4 characters in 1, and TMNT which followed the same principal, they decide to dedicate an entirely separate spot on the roster to Frost, despite her being -more or less- a female version of Sub-zero? That, as opposed to using said spot for characters like Sindel or Mileena(fixed)? Not to mention the premier skins in I2 and how that worked. Yeah, that's gonna be a soft 'nope' from me, dawg.

Last edited:

Zaccel

Noob
There are some highs and lows here.

If this is in any way legitimate, Jade being in just barely salvages my lost hopes surrounding Reptile. Certain aspects (like Johnny as a background character) seem to check out, too--especially with the explicit statements on D'Vorah's complexity.

That said, a bunch of stuff doesn't add up. No Noob, no Shang Tsung, no Rain (anybody who could be a "fan favourite" really)? With all the mention of absent characters and the faces or whatever, this doesn't check out. There's also holes in the roster listed anyways.

If someone told me this was QLoc (who have access to a portion of the truth) taking the piss and making stuff up for speculation (TER, KOL, CET)? Or trolling as hard as possible (JAC)? I'd believe it.

Last edited:
Why do people have to bring racism and sexism into everything ?

@ButterfreeEffect Most of the people here dislike Jacqui's return because in MKX she had nothing interesting to offer in terms of gameplay. She looks like a generic character with nothing unique or very interesting to offer in both design or moveset. The only variation that seemed interesting to play was high tech but nobody played it because the variation lacks everything while the two others are way more versatile. People don't want her back because she was useless, not because she's black.

---

Anyways the roster is almost complete I'd say, we'd be able I think to have an "unofficial roster" in a month from now