What's new

Spawn General Discussion Thread

Jowabunga

Woooooooooooooo!
I played around with v3 quite a bit tonight. His command grab (bf2) is interesting because you can cancel literally every cancelable move into it on block, which is quite a departure from most command grabs. The drawback is the long startup (26f) means most of the time there will be a gap, so shit like d1 into the grab probably gets you counter-hit.

I put this in the combos thread by mistake, so moving it here;

Bit of a janky situation with the command grab KB and manual KB controls.

Problem:
  1. use bf2 amp, hold amp to spend 2 bars to turn invis.
  2. use bf2 amp, hold amp to get the KB, but spend 2 additional bars for it.
Solution:
  1. use bf2 amp, hold amp to spend 2 bars to turn invis.
  2. use bf2, tap amp once to get the neck snap, short delay to confirm meter is spent, then press and hold amp any time before the neck snap to get the KB with the correct (1) bar spent.
You can do the former way if you want to turn invisible again, of course.

Last edited:

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Okay
So
I am too tired to lab anymore
I cannot sleep and need answers
Does looping a jump-in into Glide into jump-in into Glide into jump-in into pressure have gaps through which it can be broken up?
Can I get flawless block attacked in between?
Or are they just gonna have to hold that?
Because I don't know how I feel about having that much power.

Axe Cop Spawn is the most fun this game has been so far.
This is my absurd comfort zone.
Even if they nerf him, like they did to Aftershock Tremor in MKX, I'm still going to be out there, throwing axes at people.
See me flying through the sky, like a malevolent muscular pigeon man from the depths of Hell. That's me up there. That's how into this shit I am right now.

So I'm gonna be real sad if I get used to finally being comfy enough to do the cool fancy shit with someone, and the happy police come and put it in a space pod, and fire it into the sun. But that won't keep me from doing what I have now been called upon by this insane character to do: throw axes at people.

Constantly.

Constant Axes Forever.

MadPropz101

"I still got it...but not much of it"
This morning I was thinking V1 was his best but now I’m thinking it’s ez his worst. I feel like he needs his fireball.
V2 and V3 both seem pretty solid. One is straight up big damage, and the other has decent zoning and some cool gimmicks. He still feels a little clunky to me, idk how to word it, but that’s going away as I play more.
V2 > V3 > V1

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
I like V1 and V3 for their strong neutral. I think V2 is gimmicky. IT could be good in some matchups but I like the legion move. That can be scary if you use it right. It's also really fast too.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
It figures that the only variation I find remotely fun (V2 - The One) is the only variation without the Breakaway counter move (BF3), the move that appealed to me most upon his reveal.

He should have that across all variations. All characters need these armor breaking moves across all variations to counter the most anti-hype mechanic in MK history - the Breakaway.

Vagrant

Noob
Notes from day 1.

V2 is strike throw mixups basically and whiff punishing for big damage. You'll also get a ton of throws in neutral because of his insane dash speed. Don't play v2 like a mad man. That's gonna be what scrub spawn looks like in KL lol. Play a whiff punish strike throw game and pick your spots.

V3 grab mixup game off of b1 is interesting but fairly fuzzieable. Ultradavid did some extensive testing and they can fuzzy low high low to avoid the fast low, overhead, and command grab. How viable this is in a match is still fairly questionable but it is doable with a bunch of practice. I do think this variation is viable and not dominant at top level play, which none of us are playing at. Also that low chain low profiling some fireballs is cool.

I clearly do not understand the optimal way to play his neutral with V1. There's something I'm missing in the way the tools fit together and I need more time with it.

stand jab for jump range anti airs. followup combo is weird timing so definitely will take some lab practice.

34 for mid (ish) screen anti airs

wave dash is one of the best in the game.

Fireball/ ex fireball game is strong.

Character is plenty viable. That's all I cared about.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I could have sworn in the Kombat Kast they said the buff where he gets early access to his Fatal Blow was included in once of his competitive variations.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
V3 grab mixup game off of b1 is interesting but fairly fuzzieable. Ultradavid did some extensive testing and they can fuzzy low high low to avoid the fast low, overhead, and command grab. How viable this is in a match is still fairly questionable but it is doable with a bunch of practice. I do think this variation is viable and not dominant at top level play, which none of us are playing at. Also that low chain low profiling some fireballs is cool.
King Jr. has been using V2. I kept getting hit by the overhead and low mix up all day yesterday. LOL. While testing last night, I discovered that the second hit of b+1,2 starts up in 21 frames while d,b+3 starts up in 14 frames so there is a major discrepancy in frames. As you stated, you should be able to fuzzy guard with some practice. I am not yet sure about the command throw, though.

wave dash is one of the best in the game.
I agree, and if I am not mistaken, the backdash is similar to Cetrion's.

Anyway, despite the fantastic movement, he may still struggle versus the best zoning and run away characters in the game (i.e., Cetrion, Geras, Johnny Cage, Kitana, etc.)

i like spawn but I don't know if he fits my playstyle. i like characters with a bit more speed and movement. while spawn has a godlike wavedash his walkspeed doesn't feel very good. his buttons are slow but that's clearly compensated by their reach. feels like he has a hard time getting in on zoners. also his s1 feels kinda ass. i don't know if it's just against small characters but when I duck a throw and go for the whiff punish with s1, my s1 whiffs, missing my punish

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
S34 amp necro blast is insanely strong.

For example, if your opponent blocks the amplified projectile, you can dash up and catch any forward movement they do. You can also stagger s3.

In the corner, they no longer have the option to duck because you can do the same thing with b1xx bf1.

If any of this sounds familiar, it's because it's generally the same gameplan as Skarlet where you stay in a range where you can hit them but they can't hit you. You could also compare it to Kollector's 44 staggers in the corner.