What's new

Sony reveals the Playstation 4

C-Sword

Noob
C-Sword I gotta ask.... WTF is that thing in the middle? Is that some super-duper MOVE shit directly incorporated to the DS4? Oh man......
If you're asking about the blue bar, nope.

DUALSHOCK®4 features a light bar on the top with three color LEDs that illuminate in various colors. The light bar illuminates to match the color of characters in a game to offer a simpler, more friendly way to identify players, even when playing side by side. The light bar also changes patterns during gameplay to provide useful information to gamers, such as when a character is critically low on health or has taken major damage.

Useless feature? Only Time will tell...

The other thing is a touchpad, same one as the Vita's, not a touchscreen, it doesn't display anything

It's a useless feature because when you're playing a game you hardly ever look at your control, let alone look at the back of it.

Aren't you focusing on your TV?

What are these companies doing?!

Just let me play a game, that's all I want. No fluff.

Console, Disc, Close Tray, ??, Profit.

There, I just made you a billion dollars.

Spinky

Neutral Skipper
Hyped for inFAMOUS: Second Son, but I'm not even considering buying a PS4 until MK10 is officially revealed.

C-Sword

Noob
From eurogamer

Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida has told Eurogamer that PlayStation 4 will not block the use of second-hand games, contrary to various reports, speculation and even a Sony patent unearthed last month.
I sat down with Yoshida a few hours after the PS4 reveal tonight and one of the first things I asked was whether used games would be blocked.
"Do you want us to do that?" he asked.
No, I said. I think, if you buy something on a disc, that you have a kind of moral contract with the person you've bought it from that you retain some of that value and you can pass it on.
Do you agree, I asked?
"Yes. That's the general expectation by consumers," said Yoshida. "They purchase physical form, they want to use it everywhere, right? So that's my expectation."
So if someone buys a PlayStation 4 game, I asked, you're not going to stop them reselling it?
"Aaaah," was Yoshida's initial answer, but seemingly only because he'd forgotten his line. "So what was our official answer to our internal question?" he asked his Japanese PR advisor. The advisor stepped in but didn't seem to answer clearly, at least to my ears. Yoshida then took control again firmly:
"So, used games can play on PS4. How is that?"
I said I thought that was fine.
Interestingly, I also spoke to a Sony source elsewhere at the event this evening who told me that the anti used-game patent discovered last month was actually nothing to do with PlayStation 4 at all.
The patent suggested that discs would come branded with a contactless tag that could be recognised and read by your console, which would then bind it to you and prevent you from selling it on.

nwo

Noob
I think the entire gaming industry would be better off if gaming consoles just faded away completely. The last one I bought was a PS2, when it was brand new. Even back then, it was shit and disappointing compared to my PC.

totheark

Shazzy's Senpai
I think the entire gaming industry would be better off if gaming consoles just faded away completely. The last one I bought was a PS2, when it was brand new. Even back then, it was shit and disappointing compared to my PC.
Well, then there'd be a lot less gamers. No bueno.

totheark

Shazzy's Senpai
People need to advance, it's 2013. Its a myth that PC gaming costs an arm and a leg.
I don't think price has anything to do with it. It's the simplicity to a console that makes it attractive. I know a lot of people who bash their head in trying to set up Team Fortress on their PC.

Official PS4 specifications from Sony:

CPU: x86-64 AMD "Jaguar", 8 cores

GPU: 1.84 TFLOPS, AMD next-generation Radeon based graphics engine

Memory: GDDR5 8GB

Storage: Hard Disk Drive Built-in, Blu-ray Optical Drive (BD 6x, DVD 8xCAV)

Misc: USB 3.0, Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T), IEEE 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 2.1, HDMI, Analog-AV out, Optical Digital Output

Sony will also be releasing a PlayStation App for iOS and Android, allowing players to use their tablets and smartphones as second screen for their systems. This is not unlike Microsoft's Xbox SmartGlass app currently available on Android and iOS.

According to the second released document, the DualShock 4 will have a stereo headset jack for the Mono Headset that will be bundled with every PlayStation 4. Unlike it's predecessor, the DualShock 4 can also charge while the PlayStation 4 is on standby.

The updated PlayStation Eye for the new console will include two cameras and four microphones, so players can control games with body movements or vocal commands.

The Eye also has face recognition, allowing visual user logins.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-02-20-sony-reveals-the-playstation-4

RYX

BIG PUSHER
People complaining about the PS3 games not working for 4 and overlooking the fact that we'll be getting more and better games is just stupid.

Tim Static

Adminerator
So understandably after knowing that none of the PS3 games will work on PS4, none of the PSN games will work either.
And on top of that, none of the PS3 save data will work either. Even though I have no idea why as it should be easy and would be good for their laggy cloud gaming service.

So why even call this "Playstation"? I know they have worked hard to create that brand, but they pretty much starting from scratch here.
Does anything from any previous console work on this system at all? (Aside from obvious Bluray, netflix, crap, etc.)
yup, but they still could rename it, but i doubt it because they need the branding to sell this garbage. fucking sad.

All I can say is I really hope they don't stop supporting PSN & PS3 stuff.

Fake Edit: Can't wait to see what MS has planned, if its better or somehow worse than this. Also, where's that Steambox, dammit?

So understandably after knowing that none of the PS3 games will work on PS4, none of the PSN games will work either.
And on top of that, none of the PS3 save data will work either. Even though I have no idea why as it should be easy and would be good for their laggy cloud gaming service.

So why even call this "Playstation"? I know they have worked hard to create that brand, but they pretty much starting from scratch here.
Does anything from any previous console work on this system at all? (Aside from obvious Bluray, netflix, crap, etc.)
I don't get it, than what's all this cloud gaming shit you can use on PS4 you had on PS3.

XBOX NATION! I think it'll be better. XBL service is top of the notch, anything that rivals it is PC.

At least I hope, if not, than it'll come down to which system offers more solid features and services.

People complaining about the PS3 games not working for 4 and overlooking the fact that we'll be getting more and better games is just stupid.
You're looking at this wrong, Lol.

It's just not about pretty graphics for next gen and buying moar braindead FPS shooters they pump out for masses that'll keep buying.

It's more important to FGC.

and its even more important to GAMERS in general.
Yea, I was speaking in terms of this site with is FG centric. But, I like a lot of old games, what about games like GTA, Bioshock, Injustice, Dark Souls, Gears of War: Judgment, those are AAA games that are coming out just shy of "next-gen", We just gonna play em for 5 months...

Tim Static

Adminerator
I didn't realize your consoles vanish when the next gens come out.
they do, maybe not at first, but they eventually do.

You invest in something only to have it abandoned is how this makes a lot of people feel, and its silly because they expect you to shell out hundreds of more dollars on what you've already bought before.