What's new

Sony reveals the Playstation 4

Briyen

Noob
isnt the blue thing on the controller make it a move controller ? whats with all the speculation i thought they said that, ps4 has a camera bundled in

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Regarding the enquiries about using etokki converters on the PS4, I hiiiighly doubt it, considering it's emulating a DualShock 3 and I don't see why Sony would let you use a DualShock 3 on the PS4 considering all the radical changes they made on the DualShock 4 in the first place.

On the flipside, the console itself might have a far more diverse UI with offline in tournaments in mind, maybe you can program a lock on the PS4 controller via the touch screen when it's not in use? Therefore there would be no reason why the DualShock 4 wouldn't be legal.

However, there will inevitably be a way to use PS1/PS2 controllers, China is China lol. I think some of you are still just taking the type of backwards compatibility the PS2 (a console that was unveiled in 1999 by executives that left Sony years ago) had for granted. The most sophisticated of gaming rigs aren't gonna be able to emulate the PS3's architecture decently for years to come, so think about how counterproductive it'd be for Sony to put R&D into forcing the PS4 to play a library that hasn't even mustered half the revenue the PS2's did.

FIVE THOUSAND NINE HUNDRED AND NINETY NINE US DOLLARS.

Sony is back at PS3's square one and Microsoft gets another free pass in making their breakthrough. But hey, the gamers always knows what's best for corporations right?

Deyrax

Skarlet who ?
4th Playstation system and still no backwards compatible with the previous systems. Greedy bastards.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
4th Playstation system and still no backwards compatible with the previous systems. Greedy bastards.
We already explained this.. It'd be a bad thing if they hadn't changed the architecture. Now they will have more/better developers and better games.

Deyrax

Skarlet who ?
We already explained this.. It'd be a bad thing if they hadn't changed the architecture. Now they will have more/better developers and better games.
I wouldn't be so sure about better games. Better graphics, yes, but better games ? Previous systems have tons of awesome games, it's so frustrating that Sony forces you to have a seperate console for games you want to play. They have already shut down PS2, I hope that means they're working on either porting them or emulation.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
I wouldn't be so sure about better games. Better graphics, yes, but better games ? Previous systems have tons of awesome games, it's so frustrating that Sony forces you to have a seperate console for games you want to play. They have already shut down PS2, I hope that means they're working on either porting them or emulation.
I disagree. I own an Xbox360 and a PS3.. PS3 has always been missing certain kinds of titles, and from their PS4 announcement they've already signed multiple developers that wouldn't touch the PS3 before.

Don't get me wrong; I love Uncharted.. But PS3 never had that giant smash multiplayer hit title, unless it was something generic like BF or EA sports.

Now already they have Bungie and Blizzard.. And that's just Day 1 acquisitions. The benefits are already clear -- but they'll become even moreso over time.

Deyrax

Skarlet who ?
I disagree. I own an Xbox360 and a PS3.. PS3 has always been missing certain kinds of titles, and from their PS4 announcement they've already signed multiple developers that wouldn't touch the PS3 before.

Don't get me wrong; I love Uncharted.. But PS3 never had that giant smash hit title, unless it was something generic like BF or EA sports.

Now already they have Bungie and Blizzard.. And that's just Day 1 acquisitions. The benefits are already clear -- but they'll become even moreso over time.
I am not talking about PS3 only. Think about PS2 game library. I don't mind PS4 games, they will be fine, no doubts. But still there are games left on those "outdated" systems that I want to play even now.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
I am not talking about PS3 only. Think about PS2 game library. I don't mind PS4 games, they will be fine, no doubts. But still there are games left on those "outdated" systems that I want to play even now.
Yeah, they will make PS2 games available at some point. Too much money in it not to.

But to do that requires time and costly porting -- there was no way to change the whole system architecture and then have older games available right away.

It is really amazing to see play station 4 is released. I am waiting for that. Please provide the difference between ps3 and ps4.

Every PlayStation 4 game will be available to download, subscription service a possibility
With the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Portable, you could certainly download quite a few games. With the new PlayStation 4, however, it sounds like digital downloads will be a primary method of distribution. Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida told The Guardian that every single PlayStation 4 title will be available digitally.

"PS4 will be similar to PS Vita in that every game will be available as a digital download, and some will also be available as a disc," he said in an interview last week.
And once Sony has a whole library of digital PS4 titles, Yoshida hinted, a subscription service might also be in the cards:

As more and more services and contents become available digitally, we'll have more of an option to create attractive packages. So hypothetically we can look at different models – like a cable TV company. We could have gold, silver or platinum levels of membership, something like that. We can do subscription services when we have more content – especially now that we have the Gaikai technology available. With one subscription you have access to thousands of games – that's our dream.​

Gaikai cloud servers could wind up being key to Sony's strategy if the company's serious about digital distribution. While you can already download a bunch of full PS3 titles that normally ship on Blu-ray disc, they can easily top 10GB, with quite a few of them taking up 20GB or more. PlayStation 4 titles could be even larger. Blu-ray has a theoretical capacity of 50GB with a dual-layer disc, and Blu-ray XL fits 100GB. Those games could take a while to download in the United States, unless you live in Kansas City, and take up plenty of hard drive space.

However, with Gaikai's streaming game service and Sony's play-as-you-download tech, you could theoretically enjoy a subscription service without worrying about such things: simply stream or download as many bits as you need while you're playing. That's the dream, anyway.
http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/25/4030298/every-playstation-4-game-will-be-available-to-download-subscription-possibility

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)

ChrisJG

Noob
Thanks. Link actually doesn't work for me, but I just got done listening to it via the iTunes stream. It's most certainly different. But I still managed to find a few tracks that I really liked.

I'll be picking it up next week.
Oh that sucks, im listening to it right now, yeah its very different I sill like it though