What's new

Sony reveals the Playstation 4

NapoleonComplex

Worst Injustice Player
So if I got this right, PS3 games will NOT be compatible on PS4.
But instead, you can use them via some kind of "cloud gaming service"?

Does that mean that Injustice is a no go on PS4?
Because that's exactly what it sounds like to me if I heard correctly.
Huge mistake

BDMao88

Filthy Casual
Yeah They said Diablo 3 would be released on PS3 and then PS4. But Injustice isn't the only problem. All of the current fighters are of course, on the current gen systems and it's all going to depend on how their cloud treats them, which I don't know how it could possibly be good by its very nature.

Ah well, I guess I'll worry about all of this when MK10 is about to be released. : D
Lets hope Xbox saves the day and all tournies will convert!

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
For people talking about backward compatibility, here's the deal:

One of the biggest factors with developer adoption (or lack thereof) of the PS3 was the inane Cell-based system architecture. This was time-consuming, expensive, and difficult to develop for. As a result some devs shunned the PS3 altogether, and a lot of people decided to develop natively on Xbox, or port their PC games to Xbox instead of PS3.

As a result, Sony knew that for the PS4 to reach its full potential, it had to be easy to design and code for; and the only way to do that was to throw out the old, confusing architecture and start from scratch. So because of that, the system won't be backwards compatible, as none of the old code would run.

But this was absolutely critical. It's a tough decision and they made the right call. Without doing that, PS4 would never reach it's full potential as a system. It makes no sense to cripple the new generation because of failures of the past.

People will get over it.. And they'll have better games from a wider array of developers (many of whom wouldn't touch the PS3 with a 10-foot pole before) as a result.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
You know Injustice will be on PS4. I was going to make a thread about that possibility, but I didn't want to start crap. Injustice is on PS3, 360, and WiiU...It only stands to reason that it will also be available for PS4 and Xbox3, probably with some exclusive features. NRS will be getting paid multiple times by some people. And how much are the next gen titles? So, this begs the question...buy Injustice for PS3 or wait for the inevitable announcement for IGAU PS4 edition. MK9 got put on Vita. IGAU will be on PS4. Book it.

It would be nice, but if I were Sony I'd charge a transfer fee. We're only entitled to play those purchased titles on PS3 and the Playstation 3 network. Sony doesn't have to allow the portability, but it would be nice. Wonder how long the Playstaion 3 PSN will be online? PS3 will probably go out of print in 2016, but why would they pay to keep the network up that long, for free? I bet PSN goes offline in 2015. Also, I wonder how they'll handle PS3 <>PS4 download transfers if you don't want to keep the same username. Probably will just log in to your PS3 account on PS4, and it will automatically list the downloads for your PS4 account.
Yeah that's another concern I have. All of the games, avatars, themes, etc I have downloaded over the years are on my old DCIguy account. I do not plan to use that name in the future when I upgrade to PS4. I hope that can be transferred over to a new name, assuming it can be transferred at all.

Justice

Noob
For people talking about backward compatibility, here's the deal:

One of the biggest factors with developer adoption (or lack thereof) of the PS3 was the inane Cell-based system architecture. This was time-consuming, expensive, and difficult to develop for. As a result some devs shunned the PS3 altogether, and a lot of people decided to develop natively on Xbox, or port their PC games to Xbox instead of PS3.

As a result, Sony knew that for the PS4 to reach its full potential, it had to be easy to design and code for; and the only way to do that was to throw out the old, confusing architecture and start from scratch. So because of that, the system won't be backwards compatible, as none of the old code would run.

But this was absolutely critical. It's a tough decision and they made the right call. Without doing that, PS4 would never reach it's full potential as a system. It makes no sense to cripple the new generation because of failures of the past.

People will get over it.. And they'll have better games from a wider array of developers (many of whom wouldn't touch the PS3 with a 10-foot pole before) as a result.
In addition to this, Sony doesn't want to repeat it's past mistakes, ESPECIALLY the clusterfuck that was the PS3s launch. An added side benefit to this is not having the architecture built in to the ps3 for backwards compatability, thereby unnecessarily increasing hardware development costs due to the "extraneous" boards and chipsets included into the ps3.

Now don't get me wrong here. If I lost my first gen system, I'd go postal on a small country. But from a business standpoint, a $600+ pricepoint for a launch system was rediculous. The only thing they removed that they really shouldn't have was the 3rd and 4th USB ports. Those are cheap and extremely useful for players to have. But at that point, they really needed to save face with the end users.