What's new

SonicFox's Initial MK11 Impressions

Chernyy Volk

Wolf lord, footsie bully, chronic corner abuser.
I love seeing Sonic Fox play. However compare Fatal 8 MKX to MK11 Exhibition and you can see that having defensive options actually challenges Sonic Fox.

Though Tweedy lost I can truthfully see that with more time he could also give Sonic a run for his money.

At the IPS Finals Sonic outplayed people in Injustice 2 and this is the Sonic I want to see as he took Joker and he did outplay people without question.

I also hope that the variations are preset so nobody can pick moves and normals that force 50/50s.

I want to see neutral being played and want to see a less heavy mix up game and if NRS can guide that then I have a feeling that we will have a bigger legion of players and not the same players dominating.

I want to see people keep Sonic out of the Top 8 which hasn't happened in years.

This new NRS game maybe the one to challenge Sonic.

No hate for Sonic but I feel its definitely obvious he excels in games that have strong setplay.

He has excellent defence but now with less guessing more people can strengthen their defence as well.

We need this game to keep strong defence options. Offence can be there but it needs to be balanced.

MK11 reminds me of MK2 and it looks like this game rewards methodical play.

Tl:Dr NRS needs to keep their defensive options so more players can actually play the game and we have a healthier meta with a plethora of new and veteran players!
Tweedy was literally playing an unfinished alpha Baraka that had no specials beyond the base ones. It was variationless. If he'd had a full character, he'd have beaten Sonic free.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Definitely 100% agree about the wakeups. They need to ALL be punishable on block and whiff punishable. This should just be a rule NRS follows in every game they make.

Chernyy Volk

Wolf lord, footsie bully, chronic corner abuser.
Definitely 100% agree about the wakeups. They need to ALL be punishable on block and whiff punishable. This should just be a rule NRS follows in every game they make.
There's already a mindgame around the wakeups though. The grounded pushback ones are safe but neutral jumpable into full combos, the launchers are block punishable.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
people like Sonic know what they are talking about.. but it is a game design rule that you can't let people that play the game, as a gamer, be a designer... as they pretty much always want adjustments to match how they want to play, not to what is best for the design of the game as a whole. The prime stark example is character forums always downplaying and constantly asking for buffs. Changes are seen through the eyes of the gamer usually are about making their preferred style easier and lack a holistic consideration for the entire game and the goals of the game design itself.

Like take the "punish wake-ups"... this is something I see people asking for, as it is something they have had before. There could be (there also couldn't) but there could be some very good reasons because of how the rest of the game works for this, they seem to have very purposely removed a lot of that bonkers pressure and "get in your face"... and we can not appreciate why until we explorer the game.

IMO, it is just way to early to really make any comments. Remember they had 45 mins with the game for that exhibition (except for Ultradavid and K&M) ... so were playing in the OLD style.. the style the game is not using anymore.

Now I am not saying his ideas are bad, you gotta respect Sonic, but at the same time you also have to take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
That seems to be the main consensus from people who's had their hands on the game. At least the ones I've heard.
It would be the best for everyone, at the end there will be an optimal offensive/deffensive variation for each char that most will choose, and in small cases there would be non-optimal but "loved" variations for those who want to compete but doesn't care to much about tiers.

Matix218

Get over here!
why does every NRS game have shit AAs and people continue to complain about it. every character should have a reliable AA. if i had a theory its fan service for lower level players. scrubs jump a lot and if they get AA every single jump they would prob just quit.
Mk9 had great AAs

Wetdoba

All too easy...
There's already a mindgame around the wakeups though. The grounded pushback ones are safe but neutral jumpable into full combos, the launchers are block punishable.
Also the rolls and launchers are throwable and the launchers arent invincible on the ground and everything takes resources

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
He has a valid point. The cost of breakers was always meter. Meter had to be earned. And if you spent your meter you couldn't EX offensive moves, so it was also an offensive consideration. Now you get it for free, and even start with both bars already, and even after spending your entire defensive bar you can still meter-burn stuff, so that consideration is gone -- it's a totally different ballgame.

It's still way too early to say for sure, but pretending this is just the regular MK breaker is not being honest at all imo.
Well now that wakeup attacks are tied to the defense meter, this makes a mind game of if you're opponent reads you spending two defense meters to fall out of the air combo, you no longer have options off the ground.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
I'm curious to see how safe these single-hitting wakeups are with flawless block allowing you to recover faster. Also, the differences in startup between the U3 and U2 and how that would affect your flawless block timing.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Well now that wakeup attacks are tied to the defense meter, this makes a mind game of if you're opponent reads you spending two defense meters to fall out of the air combo, you no longer have options off the ground.
Yeah— you might have to block, which tends to scare some players in our community.

“I can’t hit a button on wakeup what do I do?”

This is part of why I think the style of this game is actually good for us, as people are going to have to break some long-held habits and learn that other fighting games actually present viable alternatives for the meta.

Last edited:
I doubt what he said about Baraka is what he really thinks. Also, Ketchup and Mustard played the game much longer and pointed out that Baraka didn't shine in damage department in comparison to others, so I don't know where that "crazy damage" comes from.

Completely disagree with the "all wakeups should be punishable". The launching ones are already vulnerable, and the invincible ones are single hitting and all chars have them. Let's not start nerfing defense options this early, thx.

Same with breakaway. It's already potentially worse for the defender (or at least can generate different outcomes) than what breaker was in mkx since it does not reset the neutral. As the offender you will probably be able to adapt your combos or make a read to be at advantage after the breakaway. And in any case, after a breakaway the defender can't wakeup since defensive meter is empty.

Call me crazy, but I think we should let rock this game more than one day before suggesting changes.
if the only wakeups are the punishable on block launcher and the single hitting safe get off me wakeup, i'd say the wakeups are just fine as they are.

maybe even fatal blow shouldn't regenerate. it's clearly taking a lot from rage drives specifically in tekken 7 considering they're safe on block. just give an available fatal blow for each round at low health.

Kroaken

Life is a block string with no gaps.
maybe even fatal blow shouldn't regenerate. it's clearly taking a lot from rage drives specifically in tekken 7 considering they're safe on block. just give an available fatal blow for each round at low health.
I don't mind them regenerating but I'd rather them be punishable on block. Like easily punishable.

I don't mind them regenerating but I'd rather them be punishable on block. Like easily punishable.
that's fine too which would basically make them the rage art portion from tekken 7. supers you get at low health that are punishable on block but they're armored.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
Did you try him in the reveal build? What are your impressions?
I played nothing but baraka at the event all be it 90% in bone deep as loved the aa special and command grab so much :)

I dont know why people complaining about aa's, barakas was awesome

Hes really really fun to play as and is so different from his mk9 self, even though he still has some of same normals from mk9 and same specials, they just flow so diffrently now, I love it! Major props to whatever nrs staff member was in charge of his redesign, would of never seen something like the flag koming!

Ketchup was saying the build didnt have gutted (launcher special) linked to a variatuon and had to make custom variation to be able to use that so I think that was meant to be in but not 100% on what variation(s)

Last edited:

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
Here's how it goes in the NRS community.

Pro-player says something = Gold
Normal player says something= Trash

Before ESL:
"ONLINE MEANS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. LOL, NO ONE CARES ABOUT ONLINE, ITS A VIABLE WAY TO DETERMINE SKILL OR GAMES"

After ESL:
"SILENCE"

Games gets revealed and some people have legitimate concerns about the game on the forum:

"TOO EARLY" proceeds to get shit on.

Sonic and K&m Tweets stuff that should be changed about the game:

Repeated dick sucking continues by SOME of the same people that shit on posters threads about their concerns.

Lol, never change TYMfaqs.

Kroaken

Life is a block string with no gaps.
Here's how it goes in the NRS community.

Pro-player says something = Gold
Normal player says something= Trash

Before ESL:
"ONLINE MEANS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. LOL, NO ONE CARES ABOUT ONLINE, ITS A VIABLE WAY TO DETERMINE SKILL OR GAMES"

After ESL:
"SILENCE"

Games gets revealed and some people have legitimate concerns about the game on the forum:

"TOO EARLY" proceeds to get shit on.

Sonic and K&m Tweets stuff that should be changed about the game:

Repeated dick sucking continues by SOME of the same people that shit on posters threads about their concerns.

Lol, never change TYMfaqs.
It had to be said.

hkriderz

Lin Kuei Scum, yellow robot enthusiast
I gotta admit, ColdBore has a good point. This community has a habit of taking words from known players and personalities as gospel, and completely invalidate and shit on other normal players no matter how politely or constructively they bring up issues.

Now, making petitions to change stuff in a game that's not even out, that is hilarious and shouldn't be taken serious. But we need to stop automatically trashing people who voice their concerns for the game. We all know the game's not out yet, and also that none of us will stop talking and theorizing about it, so might as well play nice.