What's new

SonicFox's Initial MK11 Impressions

Samsara

Resident Cynic
I agree Scorp looks like he's further along than the others. Might be why he feels so strong.

I still can't believe they basically gave him military stance. Amplified version looks nutty. Might see some big play from that early.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Obviously I haven't played yet, but all his suggestions seem reasonable. He won't end up maining Baraka, though. Some absurd character will come along that only he can truly make shine (like vanilla Erron Black Outlaw) and that's who he will play. I think Baraka will be represented a lot by others, though.

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
I doubt what he said about Baraka is what he really thinks. Also, Ketchup and Mustard played the game much longer and pointed out that Baraka didn't shine in damage department in comparison to others, so I don't know where that "crazy damage" comes from.

Completely disagree with the "all wakeups should be punishable". The launching ones are already vulnerable, and the invincible ones are single hitting and all chars have them. Let's not start nerfing defense options this early, thx.

Same with breakaway. It's already potentially worse for the defender (or at least can generate different outcomes) than what breaker was in mkx since it does not reset the neutral. As the offender you will probably be able to adapt your combos or make a read to be at advantage after the breakaway. And in any case, after a breakaway the defender can't wakeup since defensive meter is empty.

Call me crazy, but I think we should let rock this game more than one day before suggesting changes.

Thracian_Priest

The troll awakens...
all his suggestions seem reasonable
Probably all but one: "I believe the cooldown on it (the fatal blow) should be 10-15 seconds or so after an attempt."

Yeah, right... survive 15 seconds with less than 30% health and no fatal blow. What's the point of having a FB in the first place?

The FB meter regenerates within 5 seconds or slighlty more and the timing is perfectly fine IMO.

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games
Probably all but one: "I believe the cooldown on it (the fatal blow) should be 10-15 seconds or so after an attempt."

Yeah, right... survive 15 seconds with less than 30% health and no fatal blow. What's the point of having a FB in the first place?

The FB meter regenerates within 5 seconds or slighlty more and the timing is perfectly fine IMO.
The point is don't whiff it or use it unwisely. It's high damage armored move that you are guaranteed to get at least once a match. If you think you need constant access to that move to win at less than 30% you might need to brush up on your game.

I'm fine with a hard limit of one per match but if it's punishable on block(which they should be) it probably won't matter because you'll die anyway regardless of what the cd is.

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games
The point is that it's very unlikely that the round will last another 15 seconds after your failed attempt at using the FB.

An entire round is like 15 seconds. But it seems time passes at a different rate for Sonic Fox. :)
I wouldn't want it to recharge at all so conceptually I agree with him, except that it is possible to survive without for 15 seconds and get it back. In that case at least you played well enough not to die for that long to get another chance.

But honestly, if you whiff it and don't just die right there you can just actually win a match honestly using the rest of your character's tools instead of trying to wait for your ultra.

why does every NRS game have shit AAs and people continue to complain about it. every character should have a reliable AA. if i had a theory its fan service for lower level players. scrubs jump a lot and if they get AA every single jump they would prob just quit.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Nice analysis.

Though that K&M barely practiced combo video is a sign of things to come. Let's hold off on the nerf suggestions for defensive mechanics on day -90 until we see how potent the offense will actually be. People might run with those comments given who he is.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
I agree Scorp looks like he's further along than the others. Might be why he feels so strong.

I still can't believe they basically gave him military stance. Amplified version looks nutty. Might see some big play from that early.
Not sure I understand the military stance comparison, because there's overhead and low options? If anything Misery Blade is more like Yoshimitsu's Kincho stance in Tekken in the respect you can 'fake' your attacks into other stuff. In fact the more I think about it, the more I wonder if that's what inspired it.

Thracian_Priest

The troll awakens...
I wouldn't want it to recharge at all
Me too. But "I don't want it to recharge" and "Make it recharge in 15 seconds" are two different things with the same effect. The first one is simply more honest.

But honestly, if you whiff it and don't just die right there you can just actually win a match honestly using the rest of your character's tools instead of trying to wait for your ultra.
Agreed.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Interesting write up but I think a lot of his issues can easily be fixed via a patch, so I'm not worried. I'm not sure I agree about all whiffed wake ups being punishable if they're facing someone insanely aggressive. We don't want another MK X where the aggressive player has the edge. I just like using AA special moves or the classic uppercut, good enough for me honestly. Scorp did seem the most completer from what I've seen, definitely the most easy to do combos to one of the most anyway.

Completely disagree with the "all wakeups should be punishable". The launching ones are already vulnerable, and the invincible ones are single hitting and all chars have them. Let's not start nerfing defense options this early, thx.
Tbh NRS hasn't done safe invincible wake ups correctly ever really.

Either you wake up on block and you're safe or you don't wake up and the oppressor backs off anticipating the bait and it resets to neutral, fine.

The problem with baiting wake ups in nrs games... w i f f r e c o v e r y.. non existent lol.

I found it annoying finagling around these invincible wake ups fishing for a bait especially when they fly half screen or the animations were lightning fast meanwhile having virtually no wiff recovery... which is why I tended to prefer unsafe armored wake ups in nrs games which in itself is ew in the first place lol.

why does every NRS game have shit AAs and people continue to complain about it. every character should have a reliable AA. if i had a theory its fan service for lower level players. scrubs jump a lot and if they get AA every single jump they would prob just quit.
I don't necessarily think every character should have a reliable aa and I think it's ok to have poor aas, depending on certain conditions. Like if you have a super strong ground game + great ground mobility + great jump ins I think it's ok to have a bad aa game. Like catwoman in inj2 would've been fine without one, she just wouldve had to use her walk speed to bait jump ins and trip guard. Shinnock, I mean ffs you already could barely jump in on him anyway- did he REALLY need that d2?

It's this popular concept in balancing where everyone needs to have "strong" fundamentals while focusing on frame data and move properties that either creates holes in a characters offense or overpowers them, meanwhile if you just gave other characters more of an opportunity to initiate their offense it would've been the better option.

Last edited:

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest

Personally, I feel the Fatal Blow shouldn't regenerate whatsoever. Once it's used, whether it hits, whiffs or is just blocked, it's gone. I don't want to see it every match.

Personally, I feel the Fatal Blow shouldn't regenerate whatsoever. Once it's used, whether it hits, whiffs or is just blocked, it's gone. I don't want to see it every match.

Yeh I don't like that he already trying to nerf defensive options.

I like the defensive options MK11 has to offer.

Sonic didn't look unbeatable against Rewind and I truly feel if the system stays on track he can be challenged in this game.

If it gets to aggressive than Sonic is the King of rushdown and he will dominate.

So hope NRS don't listen too much and they make the game how they wanna make it!